• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking umbrella

Penny Kingma

Never Stop Trying !
Time of past OR future Camino
When I returned home from my 2016 Camino I purchased the hiking umbrella from the Forum Store.
I found the lack of shade one of my hardest trials while walking. I was wondering if anyone has tried it.
Does it hold up to the windy situations on the Camino ?
Thank you

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Penny

I've also purchased a lightweight hiking umbrella. I did quite a lot of research and many people swear by them. I hate hats and so am hoping this will help when I'm on the VDLP. There are ways to rig it up so it is handsfree which I'm going to have a go at as I wouldn't want to hold it all the time.
There are some youtube videos showing how to do this - not hard but good to know what otehrs who use them have found useful.
Like you I've not used it yet - start in March - so interested to hear of others experience.

Megg

Funny you should ask this. I just received a hands free umbrella from Ivar (bought mainly for shade and rain) and was thinking just last night that I would still need my Altus poncho to provide some protection against the wind when it is really blowing, as we experienced it on the meseta. I don't think any umbrella could stand up to that wind when it really blows and I wouldn't take the risk trying to find out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Funny you should ask this. I just received a hands free umbrella from Ivar (bought mainly for shade and rain) and was thinking just last night that I would still need my Altus poncho to provide some protection against the wind when it is really blowing, as we experienced it on the meseta. I don't think any umbrella could stand up to that wind when it really blows and I wouldn't take the risk trying to find out.
That’s exactly the area I was referring to. My hat constantly blew off in that area.

I took my Euroschirm, hands free umbrella on the Portuguese.
First, I would suggest that, in a hiking environment, an umbrella that handles medium to strong winds, with or without rain, simply does not, probably cannot, exist.

Having done the CF twice in autumn, without umbrella, and the CP from Lisbon in Spring with, I have never encountered medium to strong winds.
Many have.

The umbrella for me was always about shade and for this purpose was outstanding.
Due to its limitations regarding wind I would suggest ones plan for rainware must therefore completely disregard any perceived benefits to be gained by use of an umbrella.

In providing shade protection, my Euroschirm is exceptional, but as a useful piece of equipment it is unquestionably, undeniably, too heavy for me, at 442 grams.
This will probably not be the case for younger, fitter walkers.

My suggestion is to utilise a model that is lighter, with a max weight of 300 grams.
This will probably mean jury-rigging the attachment to the top of your pack and shoulder straps. There is much advice here on the forum, and utube videos, on how to successfully accomplish this.

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Gerard is correct. The Euroschirm hiking umbrella is a good product. I have used mine on two Caminos.

In still weather it works wonderfully. But, when road walking or on a windy day, it can be a handful. Mine kept turning inside out...very annoying. It was worst when a truck blew by me at speed. But, out on a senda, walking through farm country or vineyards, these things are great.

IMHO, these umbrellas are ideal when walking in a rural area on a trail. That said, I have encountered fellow pilgrims who just used a regular telescoping umbrella jammed into their sternum strap. It seemed to work very well for light rain showers. Evidently, the trick is to find one with the longest possible shaft, so it clears your head when being held by your chest strap.

But, all in all, this does represent a cost-effective solution. Another point in favor of just using what you have is that it is easier to use after hours, or once you get to Santiago. The Euroshirm hiking umbrella offers superior coverage and protection. But, it is a full meter across when opened. Some folks on sidewalks do not appreciate that. I still get nasty looks when in Santiago.

Just as a suggestion, if you are going to use a regular umbrella jammed in the sternum strap, I recommend obtaining a color that works in contrast to your environment when walking. White works, as does any bright primary color: yellow, blue, green, red...

For any rainwear, including umbrellas, parkasmand ponchos, I always recommend staying away from, arguably more stylish, muted colors like black, navy blue, burgundy or dark greens, or browns. From experience and observation, I believe it is the contrast that makes you visible to oncoming drivers. Neon colors are a nice touch, but not strictly necessary. Any contrasting color against the muted natural background will make you visible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Penny

I've also purchased a lightweight hiking umbrella. I did quite a lot of research and many people swear by them. I hate hats and so am hoping this will help when I'm on the VDLP. There are ways to rig it up so it is handsfree which I'm going to have a go at as I wouldn't want to hold it all the time.
There are some youtube videos showing how to do this - not hard but good to know what otehrs who use them have found useful.
Like you I've not used it yet - start in March - so interested to hear of others experience.

Megg
Thanks Meg
I took my Euroschirm, hands free umbrella on the Portuguese.
First, I would suggest that, in a hiking environment, an umbrella that handles medium to strong winds, with or without rain, simply does not, probably cannot, exist.

Having done the CF twice in autumn, without umbrella, and the CP from Lisbon in Spring with, I have never encountered medium to strong winds.
Many have.

The umbrella for me was always about shade and for this purpose was outstanding.
Due to its limitations regarding wind I would suggest ones plan for rainware must therefore completely disregard any perceived benefits to be gained by use of an umbrella.

In providing shade protection, my Euroschirm is exceptional.
As a useful piece of equipment it is unquestionably, undeniably, too heavy for me, at 442 grams.
This will probably not be the case for some younger, fitter walkers.

My suggestion is to utilise a model that is lighter, with a max weight of 300 grams.
This will probably mean jury-rigging the attachment to the top of your pack and shoulder straps. There is much advice here on the forum, and utube videos, on how to accomplish this.

Regards
Gerard
Thankyou Gerard
Doing my Camino from May 28th to July 4th....it was all about the shade.

We used the Euroschirm on our CF walk in May and June this year and loved it. Yes it is heavy, but imagine being able to sit down anywhere to rest IN THE SHADE, (think the Meseta), it's priceless. Like all regular umbrellas, they do not work well in strong winds. This is why we have rain pants and jackets; but if sun protection is your major concern, you will be very happy with your hiking umbrella and wonder why you waited till now to get it. ;)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Last year on the Mozárabe from Almería I took an umbrella for the first time - the euroschirm telescopic. Another in our group had the full size hiking model which was far superior in stability but so big and heavy. It would not fit into a backpack. But she had used it on previous caminos and was very happy with it and was easily able to use two hiking poles.

The dome of the telescopic version is much shallower and very susceptible to even light winds. The drag factor was much more trouble than it was worth. Also where I had it strapped to my pack when not in use, the silver coating completely wore off making it look very tatty.

I doubt it will make it onto my packing list this year. I shall go back to putting a water-drenched scarf over my head and shoulders in the strong sun and put my hood up in the rain.

I always carry a hiking umbrella when I’m out on the trail. I carried one on CF and will do so again this fall. It’s worth it’s weight in gold for deflecting heat and rain. I had multiple pilgrims offer substantial amounts of money to buy mine!

Attachments

• FDE54EF0-B850-43D2-B11E-64B2F5BD505F.jpeg
    FDE54EF0-B850-43D2-B11E-64B2F5BD505F.jpeg
    674.8 KB · Views: 31
I was wondering if anyone has tried it.
Does it hold up to the windy situations on the Camino ?
Thank you
Yes it does. There was a time - walking to Boadilla del Camino - when the wind was so strong I thought I would take off, Mary Poppins style :D
But the umbrella held up, no probs. (It was attached to my backpack, I wasn’t even holding it).
It isn’t the telescoping one, it is the full size one. It is about the same weight as my poncho so when walking in Summer, I just take the umbrella.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in September/October 2018 and used the Euroschrim light weight umbrella. It fit nicely in my pack and was a life saver on many parts of the CF, not just the Meseta. I rigged a system to my pack for hands free which worked well in light winds and rain, as well as sun. I think the best part was walking into town at the end of the day feeling good instead of drained by the sun. IMHO, it is an essential piece of equipment for sunny hot caminos.

I have the Euroschirm Swing handsfree backpack umbrella Silver UV (366g-13oz).
It is delivered with two holders with velcro strips that you can connect to the carrying belts of your backpack (L & R).
You can put the umbrella left or right or sideway (adapter can be turned).
I bought it for the programmed CF in 2017 (couldn't go due to lower back problems)
Only used it in low wind conditions.
Very useful when walking with poles.
Not sure I will take in June '19 on the Camino Inglés (6d walk).
Waiting for the weather forecast just before I leave 😉
And yes, I always have my rain jacket and pants with me ...like it is described Silver UV is 'more' used for 🌞 protection.
Buen Camino 👣

I walked the Via Romea Germanica last year and took the telescopic hiking umbrella bought from Ivar's store. Yes it is heavy, but it was invaluable for shade when I reached Italy. I noticed the benefits as soon as I put it up, and indeed I think it was cooler than in shade. The thing that, surprisingly, I found invaluable was in wet weather. I wear glasses, and by putting up the umbrella in the occasional rainy day I was cursing the fact that I didn't have "windscreen wipers", but best of all I could use my camera and my tablet without fear of them getting wet. A very definite bonus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the My Trail Co Chrome umbrella on the CF in October. Attached to my shoulder strap it allowed me to use my hiking poles. It worked well in the rain over my rain jacket. The rain was blowy most days and once the umbrella inverted. It popped back into shape with no damage. I didn’t have enough sun to use it for shade. Would I take it again? Probably not, even though it was nice to have my head uncovered. Ultimately, it is simpler to wear the rain jacket even though the umbrella weighs only 8 ounces (226g).

Last summer, what a scorcher! 2200km Via Francigena, no shade, no rain. I walked underneath Ivar's solar umbrella. Lifesaver! Even the flies came under for a bit of relief from the sun.

Attachments

• Tim umbrella 2.jpg
    Tim umbrella 2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would definitely give "two thumbs up" to the Euroschim liteflex treking umbrella with a silver canopy. I have used mine for several years, including on the AT. While I use the umbrella often when it is raining, it does not replace raingear as noted by other writers... due to the wind it is not always effective at protecting you and your gear from getting wet.

Where it "shines" is in the sun... I don't like the heat, and I LOVE having my portable shade with me. This is where the silver canopy becomes important. A black canopy will get hot, and will radiate heat down onto you. The silvered canopy reflects the sun's heat and stays much cooler, and accordingly provides much more relief.

A side benefit of the "umbrella as side shade" is that I sweat less, and hence have to carry less water... however, this is not a significant factor on the CF.

While wind can contort the canopy a lot, it is very flexible and resilient, and will bounce back without injury after being battered by gusts. It is very robust in that way.

My backpack is usually my Osprey Exos 38, and it has small mesh pockets on the shoulder straps. I put the handgrip of the umbrella in one of the pockets, and use a "gear tie" (heavy duty twist tie) wrapped around the upper part of the shoulder strap as a second connection.... this holds the umbrella in place very well, letting me hike hands free.

The "handsfree" model that Euroschim sells makes sense to me if you're walking without a pack, but for backpacking, the "non-handsfree" model is a lot lighter, and can be easily used handsfree with your pack as I have done.

While I use the umbrella often when it is raining, it does not replace raingear as noted by other writers... due to the wind it is not always effective at protecting you and your gear from getting wet.
It replaces my raingear because I walk in Summer. Doesn’t matter if my legs get wet, they soon dry :) As a precaution, I put my clothes and my (down) sleeping bag in dry bags but I do find the umbrella keeps my bag dry...

My main question is: how does it fare in thunderstorms? :eek: This is a serious question btw.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It replaces my raingear because I walk in Summer. Doesn’t matter if my legs get wet, they soon dry :) As a precaution, I put my clothes and my (down) sleeping bag in dry bags but I do find the umbrella keeps my bag dry...

My main question is: how does it fare in thunderstorms? :eek: This is a serious question btw.

I'm with you on this as well;. I do not carry or take a poncho because it just becomes a sauna bath for me. My raingear is my light, silver umbrella. If it is too windy then I get wet which is what would happen if I used a poncho anyways.... Shorts and umbrella. Light weight and comfortable as can be for me....I almost enjoy hiking in the rain if it's not windy. ------Wait, I do enjoy it!!!!

We took Vietnamese hats from Australia which were awkward to take but proved exceptional in the heat and the rain. And we had no problems using our sticks in all types of weather. It was quite funny when fellow pilgrims showed us photos later that they had taken of us

Attachments

• 61F9D8CF-8AA8-4A2B-82B7-233AB998C0D1.jpeg
    61F9D8CF-8AA8-4A2B-82B7-233AB998C0D1.jpeg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 21

I don't think I'd put up my umbrella in a thunderstorm....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back