• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hiking with ankle splints

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I went to the orthopod today expecting to get help with ways to train smartly with my ankle issue.
unfortunately what I got was an apologetic - don't recommend you do this period. and if you do, you will be taking years off the functionality of the ankle and the pain is unavoidable

so I am working on the mindset that will enable me to finish what I have started. Accept pain is inevitable and move on.
Choose my Camino now because I am called, and for now, I accept the anticipated future price. (though I have yet to accept an outcome that hasn't arrived yet)

I have 6 months before my September CF to work this through

My ankle had a comminuted fracture 10 years ago, plated, plate removed- it is giving me trouble as I crank up miles.
The doc sent me off with a lace up splint and NSAID cream since I can't take those orally. I also have access to a cold laser.

Has any one hiked the camino with an ankle splint? obviously I am worried about rubbing and blisters

thanks Nanc

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.Remember the story about the Tortoise and the Hare?Slow and steady wins the race.If this is something you need to do please be careful.

Has any one hiked the camino with an ankle splint?
Yes, sometimes on both ankles. I use the lace-up type with plastic side supports (Swede-O Ankle Lok). You do have to adjust boot lacing when you have created a pressure point from the laces on the brace. Otherwise, I have not had boot fit problems. Test any product you acquire before going on the Camino! The Camino is the wrong place to discover new things about boot fit. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Nanc

sorry to hear about your ankle. As a physiotherapist I've seen plenty of ankle fractures and suffice to say they are not the easiest joint to rehab. BUT I've got to say I've seen great improvements in people who have come to physio in terms of reduced pain, improved strength and stability. If you could, it would be worthwhile booking into a local physiotherapist to help strengthen the ankle further, the stronger the muscles surrounding the ankle, the less direct pressure going the joint. It would also be worthwhile strengthening the knees and hips as this will also help to decrease the load in your ankle.

As for an ankle brace, I personally think that if you don't feel unstable you don't need a rigid splint. The issue with a rigid splint is its often bulky, can cause skin issues with rubbing if worn for long distances and it may mean you having to purchase a shoe slightly larger to fit it in comfortably. If its more pain/swelling a compression splint may be enough to help you through.

Hope that helps

Good luck & Bueno Camino!

thanks Physio- all good helpful comments- and yes, strengthening the muscle to take the load of the ligaments and tendons is sound advice AND do-able. Getting a second opinion as where the pain is doesn't seem to relate to the current diagnosis
Nanc

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.