• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hill where a stone is left

coober

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009,
VdlP 2014
Del Norte 50% 2017
Primitivo 2017
Hello everybody,

would some kind soul tell me the name of the town or hill were one leaves a stone.

thanks
David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Hill were a stone is left

David,

Cruz del ferro.

Good luck!
Paul

Re: Hill were a stone is left

I think you are referring to the Cruz de Ferro - the Iron Cross which is 2km after Foncebadon and 2 km beforee Manjarin in the Irago mountains (230km from Santiago).

Acutally, you can leave a stone anywhere along the camino - at the base of crosses, on top of way markers etc.

Attachments

• small cruz de ferro.jpg
    small cruz de ferro.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,171
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sillydoll, Paul,

thanks for your replies,

Sillydoll, I knew a stone could be left anywhere, but I have one that is special (as they all they are) that I want to leave at the cross.

thanks again
David

I'm curious whether there is a comparable place on the Norte? Or is it just anywhere?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Or is it just anywhere?
Or you can think the same thoughts (hopes, prayers, regrets, abandoning of burdens) and leave it farther behind, somewhere near your home! ;)

The Cruz de Ferro has received a lot of publicity and has acquired almost mythical status. Rather like things going "viral" these days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This was an old thread, from almost 13 years ago, that has somehow been resurrected.
It's important for pilgrims to know that the pile of stones, together with the trinkets, photos and other memorabilia is cleared, tidied up and graded every year. It it wasn't it wouldve covered the cross by now and spread all over the adjacent road!
Some people are upset that their offerings might have been cleared away, but IMHO one should let go once the stone is placed there.

This was an old thread, from almost 13 years ago, that has somehow been resurrected.
It's important for pilgrims to know that the pile of stones, together with the trinkets, photos and other memorabilia is cleared, tidied up and graded every year. It it wasn't it wouldve covered the cross by now and spread all over the adjacent road!
Some people are upset that their offerings might have been cleared away, but IMHO one should let go once the stone is placed there.
I thought I was meant to resurrect old threads to prevent creating duplicates. I am amazed by how much the situation has changed and I totally understand why the piles of things would need to be cleared away every year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought I was meant to resurrect old threads to prevent creating duplicates. I am amazed by how much the situation has changed and I totally understand why the piles of things would need to be cleared away every year.
It depends on the relevance of the topic. This topic is still relevant.

I'm pretty sure that things have been cleared away from the Cruz de Ferro on a regular basis for quite a long time now. It probably just happens more frequently now.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a pilgrim’s prayer in one of the guidebooks that you may/may not wish to use when placing your stone wherever you decide:-
“Lord, may this stone, a symbol of my efforts on the pilgrimage that I lay at the feet of the cross of the Saviour, one day weigh the balance in favour of my good deeds when the deeds of my life are judged. Let it be so”.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back