• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hilliest Camino stages?

omi1

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to SDC (2014)
Porto to SDC (2015)
Astorga to SDC(2017)
SJPdeP toBurgos (Oct 2018)
I am looking to do a short 7 to 10 day camino section with plenty of elevation change in Spring. It will be part of my training for the Tour du Mont Blanc. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks. I was considering this, or the San Salvador...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do want to do a Camino?
Or do you want some proper mountain training?
I think they are different activities.
definitely a camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks. I was considering this, or the San Salvador...
The Camino del Salvador is not that long of a route, and not mountainous the entire way.
Maybe look at the Primitivo - I haven't done it yet, but I think that it will give you lots of ups and downs.
Check elevation profiles on Gronze.

The Camino del Salvador is not that long of a route, and not mountainous the entire way.
Maybe look at the Primitivo - I haven't done it yet, but I think that it will give you lots of ups and downs.
Check elevation profiles on Gronze.
Thanks. I have done the primitivo, loved it and found it quite hilly, but I need something slightly shorter.

Thanks. I have done the primitivo, loved it and found it quite hilly, but I need something slightly shorter

It is also only mountainous for part of the way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Invierno or Sanabres are both lovely caminos. How many km do you think you will do on a daily basis?

Just did the Salvador, and the total gain in elevation over 5 days equals the TDMB over 10.
Day one is not too bad, until you get to the 1k chunk jut past the hospital ruins. That’s pretty challenging. And then it mellows out again for a looooong descent. A few more ups and downs, a few villages and a reasonable end in La Robla. Day 2 from La Robla to Poladura de la Tercia is a slow incline to Buiza and then very challenging for the next several KM as you had for Poladura de la Tercia. The next day to the highest elvation (roughly the same as your tour line for theTDMB) marked the most challenging day over all, with 1KM taking me 40 min (for reference: on flat land I do around 10m per km). Day 4 from Landon’s to Mieres was extremely challenging in its areas on the ‘alternative paths’ And although people will say that day 5 into Oviedo is flat, it absolutley is not. It is up and down and up and down through coal mining mountains all the way, and befor eyou can ascend into Oviedo, you must descend forest (that like the approach to Lugo on the Primitivo).
for your objects I’d say that the Salvador meets them — short duration, higher elevations, more technical hiking — and a marvellous cathedral with museum destination.

San Salvador is really nice and hilly but very short. Invierno was a lot up and down and for some extra hills you can start in Astorga and walk to Ponferrada. It is from Ponferrada to SdC 7199 altitude meters over 335 km. I don’t know your daily stages but I did that in 8 days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first week of the Camino del Norte.
I think this is a great recommendation given your time and objectives. Lots of hills between Irun and Bilbao, taking you through San Sebastian and finishing in Bilbao. There's a lot to like about that.

There are some 'alternative' paths which add even more challenge (and spectacular views) to the usual path - e.g. on the first day, when you climb up to Santuario de Guadalupe, you can choose the 'Alpiniste Way' or a lower path to take you to Pasajes.

I’ve walked to Bilbao three times and it didn't get any easier! Each time it’s taken 6 days but there are accommodation options to make this a day or two longer if you prefer.

If you find you are in Bilbao with days to spare, you can either continue on for a few days (not so hilly from there though), or make your way back in the reverse direction. For example, you can go back from Bilbao to Deba with train/bus and walk back to Irun.

If you decide on the first week of the Norte, my tip is to start from - or at least visit - Hondarribia. The Way is marked from both Irun and Hondarribia and meet up very soon after the start. Hondarribia is an interesting and picturesque town.

A week or so on the Primitivo is also a good recommendation but, just from personal experience, I think it would be harder to 'leave' than tapping out of the Norte after Bilbao. Also my recollection, based on no science, is that the first week or so of the Norte will give you tougher terrain day on day than any week on the Primitivo.

I've also walked the Salvador over 6 days of relatively short distance - of which only 3 days had significant climbing - albeit they were tough days. But, as @Perambulating Griffin says, there are alternatives which may make it tougher.

I don't know where you are travelling from - but ease of getting in to and out of may be a consideration.

For the first week of the Norte, it's easy to get to Irun from Bayonne / Biarritz or San Sebastian. If you are flying in, the San Sebastian airport is in fact just outside of Hondarribia - so you leave there on foot and take a short walk either to Irun or Hondarribia, depending on where you are starting. Bilbao also has lots of transport options for return.

All just based on my experience and recollections - others may disagree with comparisons. But in any case you are spoilt for choice. Enjoy. xx 😎

Last edited:
The Invierno or Sanabres are both lovely caminos. How many km do you think you will do on a daily basis?
20-25 km daily. I dont know much about those 2, but will have a look thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think this is a great recommendation given your time and objectives. Lots of hills between Irun and Bilbao, taking you through San Sebastian and finishing in Bilbao. There's a lot to like about that.

There are some 'alternative' paths which add even more challenge (and spectacular views) to the usual path - e.g. on the first day, when you climb up to Santuario de Guadalupe, you can choose the 'Alpiniste Way' or a lower path to take you to Pasajes.

I’ve walked to Bilbao three times and it didn't get any easier! Each time it’s taken 6 days but there are accommodation options to make this a day or two longer if you prefer.

If you find you are in Bilbao with days to spare, you can either continue on for a few days (not so hilly from there though), or make your way back in the reverse direction. For example, you can go back from Bilbao to Deba with train/bus and walk back to Irun.

If you decide on the first week of the Norte, my tip is to start from - or at least visit - Hondarribia. The Way is marked from both Irun and Hondarribia and meet up very soon after the start. Hondarribia is an interesting and picturesque town.

A week or so on the Primitivo is also a good recommendation but, just from personal experience, I think it would be harder to 'leave' than tapping out of the Norte after Bilbao. Also my recollection, based on no science, is that the first week or so of the Norte will give you tougher terrain day on day than any week on the Primitivo.

I've also walked the Salvador over 6 days of relatively short distance - of which only 3 days had significant climbing - albeit they were tough days. But, as @Perambulating Griffin says, there are alternatives which may make it tougher.

I don't know where you are travelling from - but ease of getting in to and out of may be a consideration.

For the first week of the Norte, it's easy to get to Irun from Bayonne / Biarritz or San Sebastian. If you are flying in, the San Sebastian airport is in fact just outside of Hondarribia - so you leave there on foot and take a short walk either to Irun or Hondarribia, depending on where you are starting. Bilbao also has lots of transport options for return.

All just based on my experience and recollections - others may disagree with comparisons. But in any case you are spoilt for choice. Enjoy. xx 😎

Wow. Great advice. Thanks. Coming from Ireland, it is easiest/ cheapest to fly into bilbao and get the bus down to irun... although just walking out of the airport would be so appealing!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You'll find the first segment of the Camino del norte, from Irún to Bilbao, quite hilly. Buen camino!

On the Camino Frances, going downhill, the left path down to Roncesvalles. Downhill to the River Oro killed my shins too.

On a climb, it was the hill up to Maneru (after Puenta la Reina), where the dirt was in front of my nose.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino San Salvador, the middle 3 d of a 5 d Camino are most challenging with steep ascents and steeper descents. Gorgeous scenery, definitely the road less traveled and IMO more demanding than the Invierno 🥶 which I truly also love. Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lots of good suggestions, but in my experience, the hands down winners for that would be either the Saiatz alternative of the Camino Vasco Interior or the Olvidado starting in Aguilar de Campoo.

Maybe the Camino Allerano, but it is still in the early marking stages and I would wait a while.

I am looking to do a short 7 to 10 day camino section with plenty of elevation change in Spring. It will be part of my training for the Tour du Mont Blanc. Any ideas?
You can consider ten stages on French way from Carrion to Cebreiro. It includes Cruz de hierro and Cebreiro, two challenging ascents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astorga to Ponferrada and then the Camino Invierno. Walked this route in Sept-Oct 2022. The Invierno takes planning in terms of where to stay but it has beautiful scenery and few pilgrims. I walked the Sanabres in 2019 and enjoyed it too, but it does not have as much ascent/descent throughout as is the case with the Invierno.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks all for the fantastic replies. I now have several year's worth of walks to try!! But for 2023, I think I will do the start of the Norte, because of ease of access and ease of planning.

Totally agree with considering the Camino Invierno. Lots of changes in elevation and magnificent scenery to go with it and a time frame that matches what you are looking for. We just completed it in November and loved it.

Check out the Sanabres as well. I compared the early Norte stages to the Sanabres stages and the latter are much longer and steeper. Having said that, I am really looking forward to the San Salvador, whenever that will be!

Do want to do a Camino?
Or do you want some proper mountain training?
I think they are different activities.
Yes!!!! I would fully recommend the San Salvador.
It's is in my opinion one of the best of my 11 caminos. You can stay in the Albergue San Francisco in Leon its cheap and clean and rooms are small so you might well have your own room. They have storage for any excess stuff and it's free (talk nicely to the folks on the desk)
It is a stunning Camino and hard , so very good for the mind and body. Bon Camino

If you are wanting to walk on the Camino but not necessarily finish in Santiago, I recommend the Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo.

211 Km including 7320 meters of elevation changes up and 7034 meters down

most of that is the 155 Km from Grado (the start of day 2 in most guidebooks) and O Cadavo (40 Km before Lugo).
This 155 Km was 6261 meters elevation up and 5545 down

If you are wanting to walk on the Camino but not necessarily finish in Santiago, I recommend the Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo.

most of that is the 155 Km from Grado (the start of day 2 in most guidebooks) and O Cadavo (40 Km before Lugo).
These figures come from the Buen Camino App - and I can attest to the difficult level. (At least my feet and calf muscles can)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Salvador - It's from Leon to Oviedo - or the Lebaniego. Both can be completed in that time, and both are beautiful

I loved this stretch and it was rather difficult, but its outstanding beauty was worth it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
San Salvador is really nice and hilly but very short. Invierno was a lot up and down and for some extra hills you can start in Astorga and walk to Ponferrada. It is from Ponferrada to SdC 7199 altitude meters over 335 km. I don’t know your daily stages but I did that in 8 days.
Beatrice;

Having read many of your posts over the years, and really appreciated them, it would be helpful if you started your contributions with “I am not normal, but …”

I’m a well experienced and relatively fit hillwalker; and you probably cover twice my daily distance.

Training on hilly terrain is a great idea. "I am not normal but ...", I did the TMB this year with limited physical preparation and had no problems. I was limited to mostly 4-mile walks with little elevation change about 4x per week. I did mix in some running earlier in the year, but due to an ankle issue I had to focus solely on walking for the three months leading up to the TMB. Regardless of whether you can do a Camino, I recommend working in some cardio prior to the TMB, especially if you are not forwarding your luggage. Seriously, I am not a regular at the gym and, while sections were challenging, I was fine.

On the TMB, I chose the most challenging variants every day (with one exception), mostly because the more challenging routes offered the best views. The exception was the Fenêtre d'Arpette (I had a transportation consideration that day -- the alternate route was still spectacular and included a stellar lunch spot).

As mentioned, day #2 (assuming the anti-clockwise route from Chamonix)was challenging. It rained most of that morning, which made a difficult section of trail even worse. At the top of the ridge line, since the foul weather cleared out, I opted to take the shorter but more rugged route to Refuge des Mottets (spectacular views the whole way). If you have a walking partner and the weather is good, I recommend it. I also highly recommend this refuge. Food was excellent and I was surprised to score a private room (with shower!) at the end of a long, hard, wet day.

The Camino tie-in: Note that the chapel in Les Houches (most common start and end point) has the shell motif on the main doors. I stopped in every small chapel and church I found along the way and they were all quite beautiful.

One last note: I stayed in a mix of refuges and hotels, but mostly the latter because the refuges were packed (post-Covid travel surge). Refuge Bonnatti and des Mottets were outstanding. I stopped for lunch at a few that I would not recommend for an overnight. If you're staying in all refuges, PM and I will point out the couple that I recommend steering clear of.

OK, absolutely last note: The food was consistently amazing on the TMB. You could probably have a bad meal on the TMB, but you would need to put in some work to find it. I lost a fair amount of weight hiking, but it would have been a lot more were it not for the excellent food.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Beatrice;

Having read many of your posts over the years, and really appreciated them, it would be helpful if you started your contributions with “I am not normal, but …”

I’m a well experienced and relatively fit hillwalker; and you probably cover twice my daily distance.
So can we then decide what is normal in another thread, feel welcome to start one so everyone falling outside the normal range know.

I did say that I didn’t know the OP’s daily distance just number of days. And with simple math it is easy to calculate “will it fit within 7-10 days with my own daily stages”.

(And no I don’t want a discussion about this here so mods welcome to delete)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.