• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hip Belt Padding Short

Bob Hummel

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello All!
I could use some advice from you Camino Veterans again.
I have an Osprey Exos 48 with a medium frame. I like everything about this pack, especially the weight.
But, on one of my training hikes I noticed that the padding on the hip belts only extends to about the middle of my side.
I don't know if this will be a problem or not. The pack feels great on my training hikes. But the longest one has been only 4 hrs. I wonder if this will become an issue on an all day hike.
Some say the passing should wrap around to the front of the hips.
Unfortunately, the shoulder straps and hip belt are not adjustable.
What do you all think?
Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have an Osprey Exos 48 with a medium frame.[...] on one of my training hikes I noticed that the padding on the hip belts only extends to about the middle of my side.
I don't know if this will be a problem or not....
Not all padding of backpacks reach 'round the waist. If your padding fits well over your hip bones, your pack should wear OK.;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Osprey padding goes over the hipbones but it still causes 'saddle sores'--this year I've promised myself to remember to put omnifix or even molefoam over the hips before I begin to walk. I don't know why this happens--it's adjusted to fit and does fit well otherwise. And I love the pack.
So...well, perfection is impossible.;)

After losing a little weight, usually a good thing, I find the hipbelt on my Osprey Talon 44 biting into my hips.
Anybody got any ideas as to adding a little permanent cushioning?
Regards and TIA
Gerard

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Looking at my adjacent photo, you will see some grey covers over the backpack shoulder straps, which I wear because I have bolts and pins in my left shoulder. These covers are sheepskin about 30 cms long and are some people use in Australia use them to cover seat belts in cars. I have never seen them in other countries, but if you are interested send me a PM and I will send you a photo and the shop where they are made. I see no reason why they would not be suitable on waist belts. The main items sold in the shop are sheepskin 'Ugg' boots and slippers.

I would do some longer training walks to see if this became an issue. Due to my build and my lower back issues, I do best with the hip belt at my waist - or at least above the hip bone. I have no problems with this, but I'm sure I would if I were to wear the belt on my hip bones.

These covers are sheepskin about 30 cms long and are some people use in Australia use them to cover seat belts in cars.
Thanks David.
There's a sheepskin shop, that does a little manufacturing, just a few blocks away here in Brissy. Somewhere with a few inches of scrap and a sewing machine may solve my problem.
Regards
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Bob Hummel and @Viranani - I crumbled and bought the new version Talon 44 today. I already have a new (=unused), old (=previous version) one. Both are size S/M and a quick comparison of the waist belts shows that the padded bits (=fins) are actually about an inch longer on either side on the new one, but the total length of the belt is the same as the old version. In fact when I loaded both with about 8 kg I thought the belt on the new version felt better. I should add that I am of the tall and chunky persuasion and need the full length of the waist strap, so to me those extra inches of padding really make a difference. The padded fins on the M/L version(s) are longer again but the back is then way too long for me. There are a few other changes on the pack too but these are minor - the belt will be the deciding factor for me. I have also asked customer service just now if this means the Tempest models will also have wider padded fins - I will let you know when I get a reply.

After losing a little weight, usually a good thing, I find the hipbelt on my Osprey Talon 44 biting into my hips.
Anybody got any ideas as to adding a little permanent cushioning?
Regards and TIA
Gerard
My Osprey Kestral has openings in the mesh on the inside of the hip belt. I cut some foam padding approx 10mm thick to fit and slipped it into these openings. See the attached photo -- you can see the grey foam inside the opening.
IMG_0160.JPG

Looking at my adjacent photo, you will see some grey covers over the backpack shoulder straps, which I wear because I have bolts and pins in my left shoulder. These covers are sheepskin about 30 cms long and are some people use in Australia use them to cover seat belts in cars. I have never seen them in other countries, but if you are interested send me a PM and I will send you a photo and the shop where they are made. I see no reason why they would not be suitable on waist belts. The main items sold in the shop are sheepskin 'Ugg' boots and slippers.
You can buy those sheepskin seat belt pads at auto parts stores here in the US.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's a great idea David!
Thanks!
Bob

@Bob Hummel, I don't see why you want longer hip wings. Once they have reached past the iliac crest, there is no more bony structure in your hips to protect. Certainly if they are too short for that, it might be a problem, but if they reach past the mid-line at your sides, that doesn't appear to be a problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Bob Hummel, I don't see why you want longer hip wings. Once they have reached past the iliac crest, there is no more bony structure in your hips to protect. Certainly if they are too short for that, it might be a problem, but if they reach past the mid-line at your sides, that doesn't appear to be a problem.
They go right to the mid-line and no further.
Once I knock off a few pouches, it will probably be perfect! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.