• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hip Belt Pockets - Yes or No?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2019)
I been training with a new Osprey Stratos 36 in preparation for my Spring 2019 Camino. I've noticed my forearms rubbing on my hip belt pockets on my latest training hike on flat terrain. On another hike involving lots of elevation gains, I didn't notice the rubbing. I love the utility of the hip pockets, but am concerned that my forearms may be raw after 500 miles of hiking over the flatter terrain of the CF. I'm considering returning my new Stratos for one without hip pockets. Thoughts?
My thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Doug

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
20180722_115214.jpg
Exactly what I have, it was perfect for my camino, it is perfect for my daily training walks, never leave home without it. My cellphone fits perfectly in the pockets, plus I carry other items which I need to be readily accessible. Good luck with the planning and execution of your camino. No pares de caminar.

I always wear a long sleeved shirt.....except for one day at home I went out in a short sleeved tshirt. Never again! The straps of my pack rubbed on my arms quite uncomfortably.
Maybe that solution (or poles) could work for you if you like the utility of pockets.
If you don’t find a solution and end up switching packs, perhaps you could wear a small bumbag/fanny pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I been training with a new Osprey Stratos 36 in preparation for my Spring 2019 Camino. I've noticed my forearms rubbing on my hip belt pockets on my latest training hike on flat terrain. On another hike involving lots of elevation gains, I didn't notice the rubbing. I love the utility of the hip pockets, but am concerned that my forearms may be raw after 500 miles of hiking over the flatter terrain of the CF. I'm considering returning my new Stratos for one without hip pockets. Thoughts?
Doug

I sooo recognise this situation. I too thought of returning my Sirrus (the female model) when I discovered the irritating rubbing of the arms, but stuck with it cause it fitted so well my back and shoulders.
This might sound strange but my problem with the hip belt pockets disappeared on the Camino. The first days I'd always wear long sleeves, and by the time I was walking in t shirt I suppose my arms got used to the belt pockets being there so I forgot I ever had a problem.

Actually it wasn't until today I remembered this issue when reading your post. Made me smile and reminiscent of those nervous preparation days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just looked at the website - the rear view shows them sticking out a long way, I can imagine they'd rub like crazy against bare skin.

Personally on my pack they don't protrude so much: right hand side pocket 1993 100pts Camino coin, left hand pocket European Health card and front door key.

I always wear a long sleeved shirt.....except for one day at home I went out in a short sleeved tshirt. Never again! The straps of my pack rubbed on my arms quite uncomfortably.
Maybe that solution (or poles) could work for you if you like the utility of pockets.
If you don’t find a solution and end up switching packs, perhaps you could wear a small bumbag/fanny pack.

They keep the sun off, too :)

Are you using trekking poles? I use mine on any terrain, since they help with balance and rhythm. Poles will keep your forearms away from the pockets.
I had thought that poles would alleviate the problem. I intend to use poles for the ups and downs, but not the flats. That said, using poles on the flats for the rhythm may be a good thing too.

I found I wanted to do something with my arms on my flat hike. My 20-year old EMS3000 pack has big strap loops that I lock my thumbs into and let my arms dangle to the rhythm of my walk, which was somewhat soothing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 44717
Exactly what I have, it was perfect for my camino, it is perfect for my daily training walks, never leave home without it. My cellphone fits perfectly in the pockets, plus I carry other items which I need to be readily accessible. Good luck with the planning and execution of your camino. No pares de caminar.
Thanks! That's a different Stratos than I have (pictured below).

Your pack looks like the Osprey Exos. They don't make them anymore (at least not in the US), but I found an Exos 38 on Amazon. That would be my alternate if I decide to return this one because of the extra 2 liters and similar mesh backing.
GATGN.jpg

Just looked at the website - the rear view shows them sticking out a long way, I can imagine they'd rub like crazy against bare skin.

Personally on my pack they don't protrude so much: right hand side pocket 1993 100pts Camino coin, left hand pocket European Health card and front door key.
I think the other thing is that I've lost an inch or two in the waist recently and I like my hip belt tight. As a result, my hip belt pockets are pretty far forward and are in the way of my natural arm swing.

Between the poles and recommendations for long sleeves (I'm going in May 2019), that might do the trick! Thanks for all the help and input!

I think the other thing is that I've lost an inch or two in the waist recently and I like my hip belt tight. As a result, my hip belt pockets are pretty far forward and are in the way of my natural arm swing.

Between the poles and recommendations for long sleeves (I'm going in May 2019), that might do the trick! Thanks for all the help and input!
I definitely recommend poles. I also keep the hip belt tight. The photo is from my 2015 Camino with the 36l Osprey Stratus C254F3DC-A897-4B12-B9AC-1FF33EC59224.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you get a different pack without hipbelt pockets you can get a pocket or two that go on the front straps instead. Gossamer Gear have good ones. My pack is a Granite Gear with their ReFit belt system which keeps the hip belts in the same position regardless of belt size.

I also have been training with a Stratus 36 and find no problems with the hip pockets. Maybe if you try it a little higher on your waist it may get it in closer to your body and away from your forearms.

Doug
Hi Douglas, can you take it back to the store where you purchased it and get the staff to refit the pack for you? Walking around in a store is not quite the same as walking on the trails. There might be possible adjustments that can be made to make the problem go away.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Douglas, I admire that you are out training with your pack so far in advance of leaving for Spain! Another thought, sometimes it is what we put into the pockets that makes them stick out. I have the Sirrus, the women's version of your Stratos. My right hip pocket is the "bathroom", it holds some toilet tissue and a few small zip-loc bags for the used tissue. The left pocket is the "pantry" for a Cliff bar or two. You have gone to some thought and effort to choose your pack. It it feels good overall, my opinion is to keep it at least for now as you tinker with a few things that you can change and adjust. We all are of the opinion that you will find the pockets useful as you adjust to them.

I had a similar issue with the placement of the pockets and have since gone from years of Osprey packs to Gregory. The placements of the pockets on the Osprey were always awkward. I could not reach anything in the side mesh pockets and had to rely on fellow walkers to get my water bottles for me or remove my pack. I was never able to unzip the hip pockets while wearing, so they were essentially useless for me and did indeed rub up against me. In addition, the clips on the shoulder straps seemed to be located in strange places for my frame...the clips rubbed near my upper arm and I ended up with huge blisters and still wear the scars from those years later. I had to wear long sleeves in dead heat, wear bandages which rolled off from sweat and friction and tied bandanas around the clips so they wouldn't catch my skin. I'm all for clean line packs now and wear a simple fanny pack in front for access to the quick things ( camera, money, glasses, pole tips, kleenex ) ...Bottom line...if it agitates you now, don't try to ride it out over 500 miles. There are lots and lots of brands and models to fit you better. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I had thought that poles would alleviate the problem. I intend to use poles for the ups and downs, but not the flats. That said, using poles on the flats for the rhythm may be a good thing too.

I found I wanted to do something with my arms on my flat hike. My 20-year old EMS3000 pack has big strap loops that I lock my thumbs into and let my arms dangle to the rhythm of my walk, which was somewhat soothing.
IMHO...once you get into the rhythm of using the poles you won’t want to be without them on flat ground. Check out youtube tutorials if you haven’t already. The most amazing discovery for me, poles, and I had originally wanted to set out with a very large and heavy pilgrim’s staff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Essential for me, where else would I keep small essentials and snacks? A thought occurs to me, are your straps correctly adjusted and if the back length is adjustable this may need tweaking. I also agree with using poles and always keep spare rubber tips in my hip belt pocket.

Essential for me, where else would I keep small essentials and snacks?

Snacks, bandaids, and phone/camera were my intent for the hip pockets. As Sparrow notes, it may depend on how I fill them. On this walk, it was just my iPhone for music and a protein bar in the other, so they were pretty empty.

I was fitted at the store, so it's the right size bag, and I was tweaking the straps a bit for comfort as I went, which helped a little for this issue. As Ian noted, I tried it a bit higher on my hips and it may have helped more than anything else, but that also required tweaking the other straps. I'm still fine-tuning my rig so to speak, so I hope to get it just right before I leave.

The older Osprey Exos bags (pre-2017) and maybe even the Stratos pictured by Sailor have very small mesh pockets on the shoulder straps (flip-phone era design maybe ;)). That would fit a GoPro camera and maybe even my smaller iPhone, but couldn't be a full pantry or bathroom. Not many newer designs have those anymore, and I can't see much utility for such pockets (other than for the flip-phone hold outs :p).

I had a similar issue with the placement of the pockets and have since gone from years of Osprey packs to Gregory.

I'm sorry that you had such a tough time in that respect and have the scars to prove it. I'd like to avoid that myself, so I appreciate your perspective. I liked the Gregory as it also has a suspended mesh back (I sweat a lot when I hike), but I found that it pinched my shoulders too much walking around the store despite being adjusted by the pack expert. I'm looking around on the inter webs a bunch, but without the ability to try them on, experimenting is a bit tough. Unfortunately, the store selection near me doesn't allow for a variety of products to try strap on and see how they fit.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your helpful advice!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Doug
I too carry a Stratos 36. I have not had any problems while wearing short or long sleeves.

Are you using trekking poles? I use mine on any terrain, since they help with balance and rhythm. Poles will keep your forearms away from the pockets.
That must be the answer. If you are using hiking poles, forearms are always away from the pockets. I never had any problems with the pockets on my Camino from St. Jean to Santiago. My hip belt pockets were stuffed with anything I thought I might need quick access to. Don't know what I would have done without them. The thought of having to take off my backpack every time I needed something would have been prohibitive and a waste of time.

Doug

I don't think you should return your bag. You could cut the tip of a pair of socks and wear them on your arms for protection ? Or some vaseline on your arms may do the job.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a scar on my left arm that rubs horribly!
What I do is find a shirt (which is a lot less expensive than the WONDERFUL Osprey pack) a shirt which has longer sleeves to protect my upper arm area that is irritated from the rubbing.
Buen Camino!!!!!

If you use poles the issue will likely go away.

That being said I looked long and hard at the Osprey packs. The belt pockets are somehow just poorly designed. They're a little awkward to get to and the zips jam, often requiring two hands to open (one hand to tension the pocket and the other to pull the zipper). I'm going to go out on limb and recommend you return it. I opted out of the Osprey bandwagon and went in a different direction in the end.

Keep looking until you get the perfect pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.