• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hip injury

MarieClaireN

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to Santiago August 2016

Frances SJPDP to Santiago, Finnistere + Muxcia June 2017
I am a 22 year old female and will be walking my 2nd full Camino Frances this June and had really bad bother with my hip joint from day 2 right the way to day 31 in my first Camino. I have a bad hip because of scoliosis and the pressure I put on this hip whilst walking. I know at least some problems with it is probably inevitable but I want to be prepared to treat my hip joint whilst walking the Camino and prevent any real injury from happening to it and make any injury feel more comfortable.

Does anyone know of any supports that you can get for the hip joint that work in a similar way as support bandages for knees or ankles?

Marie-Claire

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have heard that poles can help. I do not have problems with my hips so I don't know for sure. Have you been able to ask your doctor?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1. Use trekking poles, as Dougfitz recommends - They DO help reduce the strain on hips and legs.

2. Use topical anti-inflammatory ointments before sleep and before starting out in the morning. Voltaren is VERY popular along the Camino. Another good choice is
Hidrotelial Luxoben Masaje Corporal FORTE. This is a pump ointment containing a whole bunch of holistic and organic stuff. All I know is that it sometimes works much better then Voltaren or other sports creams. Both Voltaren and Luxoben are available in most all farmacias in Spain. The Voltaren should also be available at home in Ireland. In Europe it is OTC (over the counter). In the US, a prescription is required.

3. Consider using a timed release, arthritis strength pain reliever of your choice and medical capabilities. I use a time-release Paracetamol / Tylenol / Acetaminophen pain reliever in the morning with breakfast (such as it is) before starting out for the day. The two, 650 mg tablets I take are good for eight-hours. That sees me through the end of my typical walking day. The eight-hours works with my end of day drinking schedule, so the two do not interfere. If I find I need more before the eight-hours are up, I take regular 500 mg extra strength tablets instead, to hold me over until "tea time..."

A chronic medical condition precludes me from taking ibuprofen or naproxen sodium. But, if you have a chronic condition, like scoliosis, consider taking an Arthritis formula, long-acting, timed-release pain reliever BEFORE you start out in the morning. If you wait until you are in pain, that sucks.

I am NOT advocating preventative pain relief if pain is not reasonably expected.

I too, have early onset arthritis and I KNOW that once I walk about 30 minutes, my hips, knees and ankles will start to ache, usually in that order. As my certainty of discomfort is near 100 percent, taking the timed release pain reliever does help prevent delay or mitigate the coming discomfort and prevent my walking day from sucking.

Finally, I am NOT aware of any sort of support that holds hips. Last year, I started from Madrid in April, but had to pull the plug on my fourth Camino at Sarria when knees, then ankles, and eventually hips, started protesting. It ceased being enjoyable.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind that MIGHT help would be something like SPANX, like a girdle, if you will. If you wear something like that, that is elastic and very supportive of your hips, it MIGHT work.

IMHO, the "snugger" it is the better it will provide support to your bad hip, but do not cut off circulation. Of course, you will be making a tradeoff of support versus comfort in the heat. Still, it is just a thought...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi @MarieClaireN, sorry you are having this problem. I second all the suggestions about trekking poles BUT make sure you know how to use them to gain the benefit. For the first stages of walking from SJPDP I didn't use them effectively, so on the day I set out to walk from Pamplona to Urtega I was in agony on the steady climb up to Alto de Perdon. Being an older woman I thought this is the end of walking the Camino because my hips have worn out. I was wrong, and a wonderful woman from the US saw me laid out on the side of the track and stopped to help. She stretched my legs - it was very painful - but within minutes I was recovered and back on my way. I had been using my trekking poles as if they were ski poles and my hips had suffered from the repeated impact on the hard surface walk into Pamplon with muscles trying to compensate. Buen Camino!

I'm a long-time yoga instructor, who also has a variety of inherited orthopedic problems (scoliosis, stenosis, etc.)--that's all just to establish that I have some knowledge and experience. Anyhow, in the next 6 weeks or so before you leave, make sure that everyday you do work to strengthen your core and open your hips. Although there are instructional videos on YouTube, your best bet is to go to either a physical therapist or a yoga instructor and have them show you the best exercises for you and your condition and to make sure that you are doing them correctly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You don't say whether you have tried using trekking poles. Used properly they can reduce the load on the hips and knees. That won't address the underlying issues you have, but may make walking longer distances a little more comfortable.
I know everyone is different, but I also have a bit of scoliosis which causes a nagging pinched nerve pain in my lower shoulder area if I don't have my backpack adjusted just right. In my case, the repetitive action and motion of using trekking poles exacerbates the condition. If I use the poles at all, it is only for short distances going down steep, rocky slopes.

Is this something a cortisone shot administered before your Camino might help?

I have a bothersome hip also and was thinking about getting a shot before I left.
But I also have a good friend in A Coruna who's dad is a retired surgeon I'm going to reach out to him and see what my options would be for getting a Cortizone shot between Leon & Santiago.
I would prefer to wait for when I need it most.

I am a 22 year old female and will be walking my 2nd full Camino Frances this June and had really bad bother with my hip joint from day 2 right the way to day 31 in my first Camino. I have a bad hip because of scoliosis and the pressure I put on this hip whilst walking. I know at least some problems with it is probably inevitable but I want to be prepared to treat my hip joint whilst walking the Camino and prevent any real injury from happening to it and make any injury feel more comfortable.

Does anyone know of any supports that you can get for the hip joint that work in a similar way as support bandages for knees or ankles?

Marie-Claire
Hello MC, don't know of any equipment but I would ask a certified Yoga instructor for specific exercises you can do for your hip. There are many hip exercises in the practice of Yoga.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. Use trekking poles, as Dougfitz recommends - They DO help reduce the strain on hips and legs.

2. Use topical anti-inflammatory ointments before sleep and before starting out in the morning. Voltaren is VERY popular along the Camino. Another good choice is
Hidrotelial Luxoben Masaje Corporal FORTE. This is a pump ointment containing a whole bunch of holistic and organic stuff. All I know is that it sometimes works much better then Voltaren or other sports creams. Both Voltaren and Luxoben are available in ,most all farmacias in Spain. The Voltaren should also be available at home in Ireland. In Europe it is OTC (over the counter). In the US, a prescription is required.

3. Consider using a timed release, arthritis strength pain reliever of you choice and medical capabilities. I use a time-release Paracetamol / Tylenol / Acetaminophen pain reliever in the morning with breakfast (such as it is) before starting out for the day. The two, 650 mg tablets I take are good for eight-hours. That sees me through the end of my typical walking day. The eight-hours works with my end of day drinking schedule, so the two do not interfere. If I find I need more before the eight-hours are up, I take regular 500 mg extra strength tablets instead, to hold me over until "tea time..."

A chronic medical condition precludes me from taking ibuprofen or naproxen sodium. But, if you have a chronic condition, like scoliosis, consider taking an Arthritis formula, long-acting, timed-release pain reliever BEFORE your start out in the morning. If you wait until you are in pain, that sucks.

I am NOT advocating preventative pain relief if pain is not reasonably expected.

I too, have early onset arthritis and I KNOW that once I walk about 30 minutes, my hips, knees and ankles will start to ache, usually in that order. As my certainty of discomfort is near 100 percent, taking the timed release pain reliever does help prevent delay or mitigate the coming discomfort and prevent my walking day from sucking.

Finally, I am NOT aware of any sort of support that holds hips. Last year, I started form Madrid in April, but had to pull the plug on my fourth Camino at Sarria when knees, then ankles, and eventually hips, started protesting. It ceased being enjoyable.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind that MIGHT help would be something like SPANX, like a girdle, if you will. If you wear something like that, that is elastic and very supportive of your hips, it MIGHT work.

IMHO, the "snugger" it is the better it will provide support to your bad hip, but do not cut off circulation. Of course, you will be making a tradeoff of support versus comfort in the heat. Still, it is just a thought...

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for all of this advice! It has helped a lot I will definitely take all of this on board! Particularly the Forte and the anti-inflammatory medicine. I tried without any medicine last time but I cannot bare the thought of the pain again so will make sure to bring plenty of strong anti-inflammatory medicines and ointments with me from home this time! Marie-Claire

Hi @MarieClaireN, sorry you are having this problem. I second all the suggestions about trekking poles BUT make sure you know how to use them to gain the benefit. For the first stages of walking from SJPDP I didn't use them effectively, so on the day I set out to walk from Pamplona to Urtega I was in agony on the steady climb up to Alto de Perdon. Being an older woman I thought this is the end of walking the Camino because my hips have worn out. I was wrong, and a wonderful woman from the US saw me laid out on the side of the track and stopped to help. She stretched my legs - it was very painful - but within minutes I was recovered and back on my way. I had been using my trekking poles as if they were ski poles and my hips had suffered from the repeated impact on the hard surface walk into Pamplon with muscles trying to compensate. Buen Camino!

Thank you for this advice! I used two trecking poles the last time but i also think that I didn't use them properly to absorb impact, I will read up on how to use them properly now. - Marie-Claire

I'm a long-time yoga instructor, who also has a variety of inherited orthopedic problems (scoliosis, stenosis, etc.)--that's all just to establish that I have some knowledge and experience. Anyhow, in the next 6 weeks or so before you leave, make sure that everyday you do work to strengthen your core and open your hips. Although there are instructional videos on YouTube, your best bet is to go to either a physical therapist or a yoga instructor and have them show you the best exercises for you and your condition and to make sure that you are doing them correctly.
I have been attending a bodyflex class which is a mixture of exercises with mainly pilates and yoga and have been feeling a lot of release after the classes which is good. Thank you for this advice! I have a book on yoga as medicine so your post has reminded me to get it out and really pay attention to stretches to open my hips and strengthen my core in the coming weeks! Thank you - Marie-Claire

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for this advice! I used two treking poles the last time but i also think that I didn't use them properly to absorb impact, I will read up on how to use them properly now. - Marie-Claire

Search on "You Tube" for videos, many from hiking pole manufacturers, on "How to Use Hiking Poles..." I have seen them from Leki and Black Diamond.

With the possible exception of "Pacer Poles," most all hiking poles or sticks work the same way. If you can walk, and have the slightest sense of coordination, it becomes automatic after first use.

I hope this helps.

Way back I was told to walk at my own speed as walking too fast can stress the hip joints. Also to bend the knees slightly when walking downhill as this reduces stress on the hips. I can feel the difference when I follow this advice, and I don't have hip problems.
Trust that you can have a pain free Camino without having to take too many painkillers.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With your scoliosis you may also have a leg length discrepancy that will put stress on a hip joint. It can be structural ( a particular leg or pelvis bone on the affected side too long); or functional (soft tissue shortening as a result of the scoliosis that is a progressive shortening and may not be symptomatic until it reaches a critical point).
Have someone measure your leg length from your ASIS ( a point on the front of your hip; google it). They should be within 1/4" or 6-7 mm). Then sit on a firm surface and measure from your iliac crest to the firm surface; again within 1/4" is normal. If either measurement is greater than that, a heel lift of 1/4"-3/8" in the shoe of the short side can help.
If it is functional, Yoga as suggested for balancing soft tissue length can be extremely helpful.
As also suggested, be certain there isn't a cartilage tear or significant joint problem. An orthopedist can answer that question.

Hi Marie-Claire. Have. Look at Rock Tape (their website plus You Tube) - they have kinesiology tape that can apparently be used for flexibility and pain for the hip (and elsewhere on the body) - my local pharmacist has been getting great feedback for this tape from sports people.

Thanks to the helpful folks on this forum I will be investing in the ergonomic designed PACER POLES (rather than my previous normal style walking poles.)

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.