• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hips and glutes tight post-Camino? A runner's problem...

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
My wife and I walked (and loved!) the CF this past autumn. I am a competitive runner, but since I've returned my body just isn't right. My hips/hip flexors and glutes are super tight and irritable. So, my running has slowed and my distances have shortened. Has anyone else had this problem (and figured a way to sort it out)? I walked with a 17 pound pack, so not too heavy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings from a fellow runner!;)

See a doctor, please. It could be just about anything, and only a medical professional can find out what is going on in your case and how to treat it. Hope it's nothing serious and that you'll get well soon!

I was in your shoes as well, when I returned home (Aug) my glutes/hip flexors were tight as well, I felt stiff rolling out of bed first thing in the morning. I had the Honolulu Marathon in December and decided to go see a sports med dr to make sure nothing was wrong.

She cleared me, advised my body and CNS needs to settle and recover; moreover, reminded me, that what I put my body through was continuous, consistent stress, over a prolonged period of time, and it's not similar to the stress associated with running marathons.

I went to a masseuse once a week, rolled out on a lacrosse ball daily, and just under two months later I was finally back to normal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I too was a competitive runner pre-Camino. The things we do as runners may tend to fall away as we walk. I did daily foot and hip stretches on the Camino and upon returning home, ran stronger, faster, better than before I left. My hip strength discrepancies were all fixed after walking 800k. Maybe we forget we are runners when we walk? But that may be by default and not necessary?

I was a long distance runner for 15+ years and am a physiotherapist (PT for Americans). Now I practice Ashtanga and Yin Yoga as well as spin when I am not walking. It is known that walking day in day out will tighten the hip flexors (psoas mainly), hamstrings and calf muscles. I always need one to two weeks to return to my normal yoga practice and feel my hips and knees especially. I suggest trying a Yin Yoga class to open those hips. It is very different from Hatha or other types of yoga as you maintain a pose for a minimum of 3-5 minutes working deep into also facial layers and joint. Just a thought.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I sympathize! As a NON-competitive runner, I assumed that long-distance walking would transition easily into a normal race training schedule. However, when I returned from my first camino last summer with two months to prepare for my yearly marathon, it seemed my body couldn't even remember how to run. I see that next time around, I need to do MUCH more stretching. Would it be crazy to do a little interval training after finishing a day's walk once in a while, or jog-trotting some of the day with a pack? (Though I don't remember having oodles of energy to spare at the end of a day.) Walkerooni, what foot and hip stretches would you recommend? BobY333, I appreciate your starting the thread and the advice it will elicit.

I sympathize! As a NON-competitive runner, I assumed that long-distance walking would transition easily into a normal race training schedule. However, when I returned from my first camino last summer with two months to prepare for my yearly marathon, it seemed my body couldn't even remember how to run. I see that next time around, I need to do MUCH more stretching. Would it be crazy to do a little interval training after finishing a day's walk once in a while, or jog-trotting some of the day with a pack? (Though I don't remember having oodles of energy to spare at the end of a day.) Walkerooni, what foot and hip stretches would you recommend? BobY333, I appreciate your starting the thread and the advice it will elicit.

Before the trip, I was seriously considering calisthenics after a stage's walk, but thats really taxing on your CNS, so I just brought my lacrosse ball and made time for stretching and rolling out. YMMV

I ran 5k with my pack into Pamplona(circumstances warranted it), and it was the worst thing I probably did, I think it just puts way to much strain on your body. If your pack isn't fitted appropriately, belt strap begins to slack, thats uneeded compression on your spine.

Tough one! Not so much a fan of stretching and foam rolling, but if you think those help don't stop. Don't know how long you were on the CF for, but maybe it's that you became significantly detrained and tried to start back up your old routine, which was too much too fast? Also did your body weight change pre- and post-CF? If you lost weight, certainly some of that was lean muscle mass, which takes awhile to rebuild. And if you're heavier obv that means you're going to be less efficient now.

Don't know if you've tried this yet, but were it me I'd take a little break from intensity and distance, a week or maybe even two and just do few short easy runs and some other cross-training cardio and see if my body couldn't catch up with what possibly (???) might be accumulated fatigue. Then I'd start adding back intensity and distance at a slower rate than I did before and see if that doesn't do the trick. Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a veteran of 50+ years of competitive distance running, and now, two Caminos (Frances in 2013 and CP -Lisboa to Santiago just three months ago), I encountered problems similar to the OP after the first Camino. Fortunately, in 2015, I discovered a book called Run Less Run Faster, by Moss, Murr and Pierce, three professors/runners/coaches at Furman University. I adopted their training regimen for 20 weeks in preparation for a favorite 1/2 marathon that I'd run several times. I also followed the stretching regimen they suggest in the book, along with some half-hearted yoga stretching that I'd done over the years. Took six minutes off my previous five year best time (and finished 2nd in my age group) in the 1/2 marathon.
I modified the same training regimen in prepping for the CP last Spring, less training, but more focused, and I stretched regularly every evening on the CP (before beer and wine or it doesn't get done!). Returning home, I picked up my running/cycling program with very little drop-off from my pre-CP workouts.
Get the book and follow the plan, including the stretching. Best of success.

There Is No Finish Line (early Nike slogan that keeps me going).

I missed many of these great responses since I’ve been traveling the last few weeks. Thank you to everyone that responded! I’m defintely upping my stretching regimen and will let you know how that goes. I’ll also be sure to stretch a LOT more on my next Camino.

What sort of stretches are recommended while walking?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What sort of stretches are recommended while walking?

I couldn’t recommend anything specific for you, w/o knowing any hx, and I don’t think it’s responsible to even try and suggest some; however, I will elaborate on what I do, and by doing so, hopefully open the door for you to look into or consult on what’s appropriate for yourself.

That being said, I myself try to avoid any sort of ballistic and static stretching; I primarily focus on active stretches prior and some passive stretches post. I avoid the hurdlers stretch, butterfly...

I find rolling out on a lacrosse ball to be, by far, the most beneficial during my time on the Camino, and will definitely pack it again this summer

UPDATE: I went to the physical therapist. No structural damage - she gave me stretches and strengthening exercises. But, I have started Bikram Yoga (aka Hot Yoga). After my third 90 minute class I was able to run virtually pain free for 5 miles and at a good pace - the most and fastest I've been able to run since the Camino. Wow, a true game/life changer (for me)!

I find rolling out on a lacrosse ball to be, by far, the most beneficial during my time on the Camino, and will definitely pack it again this summer

My husband also carries his. i never needed it, but he says it was essential for him to complete the trail.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.