• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hire Car & Road Tolls ??

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Hi Everyone

We are a group of four, arriving in Madrid. We need to get to Hospital de Orbigo for the Medieval Festival, and then to Pamplona after that. It would seem a hire car is the most economical way to go for our group.

Someone has mentioned there are road tolls in Spain. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so, an approximate cost please?

Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The vast majority of what we would call "super highways" have no tolls in Spain. This map, from 2011 may not be totally up to date but should give you an idea of where the toll roads are (and if you can figure out the rationale behind the decision of which roads to put tolls on, you get the gold star).

https://www.autobild.es/practicos/autopistas-peaje-espana-165309

I believe, but am not certain, that the tolls vary depending on time of day -- the higher the average traffic at a certain hour, the higher the toll.

I looks to me like you may hit an occasional toll (for example, leaving Madrid heading north, going from León back east towards Pamplona), but I don't think tolls will be a major price factor in your calculations.

I have been in Hospital de Orbigo during their Renaissance Fair. We had no idea we would be happening upon it, but luckily there were rooms in an albergue. Lots of merriment, that's for sure! Buen camino, Laurie

@Joanne P, I put your trip (Madrid airport-Hospital de Órbigo-Pamplona) into viamichelin.fr and their recommended itinerary includes toll road fees (péage in French) of 32,10 EUR. I don't know how up to date/reliable it is. I believe you can use toll free roads instead if you wish to do so. Click here to view the results (the estimated cost is shown in the bottom right corner, split into petrol and toll road fees).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was told that Spain has two different types of highways: private and state owned. You pay toll only on private Autopistas which are signed as AP (AP-1 etc.) and state owned Autovias are signed as A (A-1 etc.).

I don't know much more because when in Spain I walk ;)

I put your trip (Madrid airport-Hospital de Órbigo-Pamplona) into viamichelin.fr and their recommended itinerary includes toll road fees (péage in French) of 32,10 EUR.

The above is good advice. Local roads are slow and busy. Toll Roads are fast and empty. The difference when it comes to journey times is worth the extra.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hmm. If road tolls are causing you budget concerns just wait till you see the one-way (city-city) supplement charged by the hire companies. o_O
Yes, the car hire companies certainly hit us for that one! LOL
We're not overly concerned - it is what it is - just want to be prepared :)

@Joanne P, I put your trip (Madrid airport-Hospital de Órbigo-Pamplona) into viamichelin.fr and their recommended itinerary includes toll road fees (péage in French) of 32,10 EUR. I don't know how up to date/reliable it is. I believe you can use toll free roads instead if you wish to do so. Click here to view the results (the estimated cost is shown in the bottom right corner, split into petrol and toll road fees).
Thanks so much for taking the time to do that! :)

The vast majority of what we would call "super highways" have no tolls in Spain. This map, from 2011 may not be totally up to date but should give you an idea of where the toll roads are (and if you can figure out the rationale behind the decision of which roads to put tolls on, you get the gold star).

I believe, but am not certain, that the tolls vary depending on time of day -- the higher the average traffic at a certain hour, the higher the toll.

I looks to me like you may hit an occasional toll (for example, leaving Madrid heading north, going from León back east towards Pamplona), but I don't think tolls will be a major price factor in your calculations.

I have been in Hospital de Orbigo during their Renaissance Fair. We had no idea we would be happening upon it, but luckily there were rooms in an albergue. Lots of merriment, that's for sure! Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.
Yes, we are really looking forward to the weekend in Orbigo - it should be great fun.
We have booked accommodation in advance. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Keep in mind that toll road machines in Spain and Portugal are notoriously fussy when it comes to paying by card. Debit has never worked for me, and foreign credit can be iffy. Plan ahead and take cash just in case.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Keep in mind that toll road machines in Spain and Portugal are notoriously fussy when it comes to paying by card. Debit has never worked for me, and foreign credit can be iffy. Plan ahead and take cash just in case.
good to know - thank you!

For me, I have found that most of my motorway travel in Spain (say 80%+) has been on toll free roads and that when tolls have been involved I have always had enough cash to pay the fee so not worried about credit cards.
cash sounds like the safest, easiest way to go - thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

From this map, it looks like there's just a short section of the motorway between Madrid and Astorga that's a toll road. (no need to take the Autopista for the short drive from Astorga to Hospital)

From there, I'd say just follow the N-120 -- which is after all still mostly the historic Camino, tarmacked over -- through Léon and Burgos to Pamplona. (though you need to take a detour south from Léon on the N-601 to get back onto it) -- or, motorway to Burgos, then N-120 to Pamplona, up to you.

It is NOT a busy road, except in the immediate vicinity of those three cities ; Pamplona especially, but as that's your destination, you'd hit those busy roads regardless.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for taking the time to do that! :)
It was a pleasure. I don't know how good your French is but if you use the Viamichelin link I posted earlier you even have a detailed description of the trip (just scroll down the page), including how much you have to pay for each toll section (péage in French) and where you have to take the tickets (Prise de ticket in French). Buen viaje!

On second thoughts, I guess a GPS or a GPS app on a smartphone will provide you with the same information, too. Must check it out next time ...

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back