• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiring bikes in Lisbon but how to get them back from Santiago?

GDRD

Time of past OR future Camino
France/Spain biking 1050km
Any advice on hiring bikes in Lisbon and how to get them back to Lisbon from Santiago; and also any advice on transporting extra luggage from town to town. Much appreciated. Regards, Robyn, Napier, New Zealand

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tuitrans does luggage transfer town to town in Portugal. Caminofacile does town to town transfers from Porto to Santiago.

Just a note....the biking from Coimbra to Porto can be somewhat grueling. We biked in September and found it to be much harder than we expected. It is very hilly - not mountains, but some sizeable uphill rides. If you want to stay off the main roads - which we did - you need a mountain bike in many of the areas between those two towns. If you're okay with road biking, you might be okay, but even when we were on the roads, it was hilly. I tried to attach one photo as an example, but I'm not sure it uploaded.

Anyway....you might be perfectly okay with it. We're planning to ride the Camino again next September, but we're going to start in Porto and ride the Senda Littoral......that is lovely!

Attachments

• 0757853F-D412-44ED-A53C-C62DB8DF8F18.jpeg
    0757853F-D412-44ED-A53C-C62DB8DF8F18.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 48
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
CTT in Portugal did a very good job sending some surplus clothes to my home in Spain, Correos will have a reciprocal service for sure. It was easy & cheap.

Any advice on hiring bikes in Lisbon and how to get them back to Lisbon from Santiago; and also any advice on transporting extra luggage from town to town. Much appreciated. Regards, Robyn, Napier, New Zealand
Hi Robyn, I’ve used a company called Bike Iberia a few times for the hiring of bikes. For a reasonable fee they will ship the bike to your hotel, in Spain or Portugal, and collect it from your hotel in Santiago. They will also forward your luggage that you are not taking on the bike with you. They’ve been around for more than ten years, a very good company.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Robyn, I’ve used a company called Bike Iberia a few times for the hiring of bikes. For a reasonable fee they will ship the bike to your hotel, in Spain or Portugal, and collect it from your hotel in Santiago.

Bike Iberia are actually based in Lisbon (Largo do Corpo Santo 5, 1200-129) so you can go and collect/inspect the bikes before you decide, though there is no need. Good bikes.

I've used them twice and they have collected from Santiago and Madrid without a problem. Maria looks after the English-speaking clients.

Contact a bike rental company in Lisbon. I am sure they can advise you on whether or not they will pick them up in Santiago. I assume they would have all of that arranged as they want their bikes back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon in 2019 and there was no bag transport on our stages between Lisbon and Porto. We ended up posting our bag a week ahead at a time to Tomar, then Coinbra and finally to Porto. It meant carrying everything for a week at a time. It worked for us.

Tuitrans does luggage transfer town to town in Portugal. Caminofacile does town to town transfers from Porto to Santiago.

Just a note....the biking from Coimbra to Porto can be somewhat grueling. We biked in September and found it to be much harder than we expected. It is very hilly - not mountains, but some sizeable uphill rides. If you want to stay off the main roads - which we did - you need a mountain bike in many of the areas between those two towns. If you're okay with road biking, you might be okay, but even when we were on the roads, it was hilly. I tried to attach one photo as an example, but I'm not sure it uploaded.

Anyway....you might be perfectly okay with it. We're planning to ride the Camino again next September, but we're going to start in Porto and ride the Senda Littoral......that is lovely!
Thank you for your advice (we come from New Zealand and love hills ... crazy people!!).

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back