• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Historic photos of Camino Francés

Yoyo

Ambulo, ergo sum.
Time of past OR future Camino
Next Camino:
When the time
is right.
In my parents' library, I came across a book (published in 1964) on romanesque art along the pilgrimage routes through France and Spain and thought I'd share a few of the pictures taken along the Camino Francés. While the art itself probably looks very much the same as it did 50+ years ago, the towns and villages have changed over the years, so those are the pictures I thought you might enjoy.

Saint Jean Pied de Port:

1 SJPdP.jpg

2 SJPdP.jpg

Valcarlos route:

3 Valcarlos route.jpg

Ruins of San Salvador de Ibañeta:

4 Ruins San Salvador de Ibañeta.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wonderful photos Yoyo thank you for sharing them with other digital readers. What is the title of that book published in 1964?

The book is:

Die große Wallfahrt des Mittelalters
Kunst an den romanischen Pilgerstraßen durch Frankreich und Spanien nach Santiago de Compostela

by Vera and Hellmut Hell

Our edition was published by some kind of book club. The copyright seems to be held by
Verlag Ernst Wasmuth, Tübingen 1964

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@mspath In case you are interested in older publications on art and pilgrimage, this is the bibliography taken from the aforementioned book:

View attachment 72356
Yoyo,

Thank you for this bibliographic info. Perhaps there is an online copy of the book by Vera and Hellmut Hell to peruse. Do you know if they took the photos? Those black and white shots are so very evocative of a time that truly has disappeared.
Updated info. Later paperback versions also published by Verlag Wasmuth are available for sale on line.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In my parents' library, I came across a book (published in 1964) on romanesque art along the pilgrimage routes through France and Spain and thought I'd share a few of the pictures taken along the Camino Francés. While the art itself probably looks very much the same as it did 50+ years ago, the towns and villages have changed over the years, so those are the pictures I thought you might enjoy.

Saint Jean Pied de Port:

View attachment 72335

View attachment 72336

Valcarlos route:

View attachment 72337

Ruins of San Salvador de Ibañeta:

View attachment 72338
These are lovely and very meaningful--thank you!!

What a treasure to fine and thank you so much for sharing those wonderful pictures.
GRMA

Yoyo,

Thank you for this bibliographic info. Perhaps there is an online copy of the book by Vera and Hellmut Hell to peruse. Do you know if they took the photos? Those black and white shots are so very evocative of a time that truly has disappeared.
Updated info. Later paperback versions also published by Verlag Wasmuth are available for sale on line.

Yes, @mspath , Dr. H. Hell took all the pictures, except for two (There are 170 in total).
Glad you could find the book on line.

Yoyo, Great contribution to all of us. Thank you. I agree with Sue127 above. Also I was struck by how "lonely" the camino appears. Given that the first ever photo was taken in 1825, first camera made in 1865 by Johann Zahn, and George Eastman's "KODAK" camera using celluloid film was first sold in 1888, it is probably safe to assume that all of those photos were probably taken no earlier than 1900. So, really, we have only been taking camino photos for 120 years at most. Think of the legacy we can leave for pilgrims in 2120.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Amazing, @Yoyo ! Thank you so much - I found quite a few books for sale using Bookfinder.com and entering German in the dropdown.

Yoyo,

I bought a used hard cover, English edition this morning. Can’t wait.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I miss not being there, but these photos make me think about the Camino in times gone and all those that have walked it, how lucky I have been. Thank you.

Various editions of this historic book are out there online. Just ordered one of the original 1965 edition for a *very* reasonable price. A nice addition to my Camino bookshelf! Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Juspassinthrough, please tell me more about the English edition.
Found a retired library version on Amazon for next to nothing. It has usual library markings and a few random marks. The pictures are incredible and the authors include information on the pictures and the history. I’ve always loved historical pictures of places I’ve been, it was a very different world/Spain/ Camino. There must be more pictures somewhere. If you can find a copy, I highly recommend you grab it.
3A98FAD6-E95D-45BC-ADE7-4DC3727E3555.jpeg

POST MORE!!
Thanks so much and thanks some more!!

There are too many pictures (170 in total) to copy, sorry. Most are of the artwork you can find along the camino (in France as well as Spain), and I would guess the artwork itself hasn't changed much over the years. That's why I chose to post just the ones of the Camino Francés where you can get an idea of how some towns looked 60+ years ago. Glad you enjoyed them.

These are great. Thanks for posting. Seems like a lot of vintage stuff popping up lately. People are are probably not planning so they are researching instead.

There are too many pictures (170 in total) to copy, sorry. Most are of the artwork you can find along the camino (in France as well as Spain), and I would guess the artwork itself hasn't changed much over the years. That's why I chose to post just the ones of the Camino Francés where you can get an idea of how some towns looked 60+ years ago. Glad you enjoyed them.
Well than I am thankful for the ones that you shared. Stay safe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got a PDF for nothing that I can read on my kindle.
It looks amazing.
Thanks, Yoyo!
🙏

Edit. Times have changed a bit! (From pg 6, describing medieval pilgrimage - purists please note! ;)):
And the pilgrims themselves could be a pretty tough bunch: there were so many stabbings of pilgrims by pilgrims in the cathedral of Santiago (probably brought on by heavy drinking during feast days) that normal church functions were regularly interrupted because of the constant need to reconsecrate the church each time blood was shed within it, something that caused one medieval pope to grant Santiago the special privilege of an unusually brief reconsecration blessing.

Last edited:
Wow!
Thank you for posting all those pictures.
Very interesting and informative!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Saint Jean Pied de Port:

A decade ago we went to an old shop in Bayonne after The Norte and got post cards of St JPP,
They were in the 1940's and truly beautiful.
We increased the size and framed , with HRH hanging these in her kitchen.

The only writing on them is bottom right ,
CAP in lovely script.
Have no idea what it means.
Maybe a company.

Love your photos Yoyo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Yoyo - such great photography. The black and white reproductions are still very clear and in any case easily recognisable. The one that (to me) has changed is the area around the old Roman bridge at Cirauqui. The old stone road on the western side (foreground of photo) as far as I know no longer exists and the path down to the bridge on the eastern side is now concrete and a lot narrower. Now I know (a little) of what I missed by not having walked the Frances in the 1980's or early '90's. My photo taken in May 2017, see how much vegetation has grown around it. 136.JPGThanks again

Last edited:
What amazed me is that so many of the roads have been improved. Thank you for the scans and information.
Especially in bad situation was Galicia. In 1970 it took 10 h minimum to drive from Madrid to Coruña (600 kms). Especially complicated and dangerous was the stretch Villafranca - Pedrafita do Cebreiro (PIedrafita del Cebrero at that time).
Most hamlets didn't have any road and therefore the locals had to walk kilometers to the next bus station.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found a German copy at a German bookstore, but I've just been informed that shipping to the US is suspended, "due to the increasing spread of the Corona virus and the associated derivation or delivery restrictions, delivery to USA is currently not possible."

Marvellous! Donkeys have disappeared from Spain over the course of my lifetime. The first time I visited, in the late 1970s, they were common.

We have found that we are spending more time in Burgos when we repeat or on the way to commence or after we finish a Camino .......... its a city we love.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back