• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Historical and cultural information on Via Podiensis

Yev

Time of past OR future Camino
Not yet known
Hello all,

I plan to begin walking from Le Puy in the early september this year - I'm looking for a guide to cover not only maps and accomodation but historical and cultural information relevant to the route as well. As far as I've read, Miam Miam Do Do is very recommended for the first two but lack the third aspect I want (history). I was reading about the Lightfoot guide which seems to have all three but I don't know how well and I'm not sure I'll find it in Le Puy (I plan to buy on arrival). Is there a good source of historical information on the route I can buy/download which could complement "Miam" (or regardless) or any other good solution?

Thank you!
P.S. I don't mind whether English or French, my French should be plausible.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you find one make sure to let us know. I've been looking for a cultural / historical companion guide too, similar to The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook for the Francés. I haven't found one either.

Meanwhile, don't completely write off the Miam Miam Dodo - it has a decent amount of cultural and historical information too. Miam Miam divides the Le Puy route into 101 sections, and each section has a couple paragraphs on the land and the people.

Here's a taste, from Plan 49 (maybe two days after Cahors):

Vous quitterez Montcuq par un superbe chemin creux à l’assaut de la colline pour retomber sur le prochain cours d’eau appelé le Tartuguié, qu’il faudra traverser à gué, plutôt l’après-midi, quand les crocodiles font le sieste. Descendre, monter, mouiller, sécher, c’est le lot du pèlerin …

Rouillac sera un de ces miniscules hammeaux isolés, blotti autour de sa chapelle, si typique de Quercy Blanc. Si la chapelle est ouverte, vous y verrez de belles fresques peintes datant du XIIe siècle.

Dans une histoire plus recente, le department du Lot fut, durant la dernière guerre, un de ceux qui cachèrent le plus des personnes juives. A partir de 1942, quand les Allemands envahirent la zone libre et donc le Lot, la chasse aux Juifs commença et des gens de bonne volonté accueillirent et sauvèrent, au peril de leur propre vie, des families entières de persecutés. 51 habitants furent faits “Justes parmi les Nations.” Ces actes de charité furent accomplis par des familles, des foyers d’enfants, des monastères ou des institutions religieueses.

Sur le plan agricole, la terre ici est beaucoup est beaucoup plus riche et profonde que sur le cause de Limogne, avant Cahors. On voit que les paysans d’antan sont allés déboiser jusqu’aux limites des pentes. Faute de pouvoir les essarter, ils one laisse le sommet des collines, afin de voir arriver leurs ennemis.

Depuis une trentaine d’années les agriculteurs ont établi nombre de retenus collinaires pour assurer l’arrosage des récoltes quand le cagnard se fait trop long. Elles sont discrètes et se cachent au fond des petites vallées, apportant des moustiques aux petits oiseaux du Bon Dieu et des grenouilles aux serpents, qui eux-mêmes se font croquer par les circaètes. Bref, un eco-système où tout le monde mange a sa faim. Quand on vous disait que le Quercy est un avant-goût du Paradis …

And that was just for Rouillac, one little unknown hamlet! Multiply that by 100, and there's a surprising amount of history and culture in these books.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Falcon, thanks for the link. Someone advised me to stay away from the Cicerone guide for this route - I obviously haven't used it myself - have you? Do you know how it compares to the other guides? (Miam for istance).

Thanks for quoting Michael, I didn't really know what MIAM includes, so it indeed looks like it has some historical basics included, good to know. I find it nice to have it in French, somewhat refreshing (re-Frenching).

Most read last week in this forum

A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...
Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back