• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Historical Via Ghibellina (from Florence to St. Francis Sanctuary of La Verna)

danioku

Time of past OR future Camino
https://unapasseggiata.org/bios/daniele/
I walked the Via Ghibellina last summer (June 2019) starting from Florence and arriving to the Sanctuary of St.Francis in La Verna.
Then I followed the Way of St. Francis till Assisi.

This route is not very known but I hope it will have more success in the future. Researchers discovered an ancient medieval road that led from Florence to Poppi and then to La Verna on the Tuscany Appennino. Most of this route is still inside the woods. There are also some villages that are known to be one of the most beautiful in Italy, like Poppi, the Abbey of Vallombrosa, Bibbiena and Rignano. In the Middleages there were many shelter and tavern on the path. Now the pilgrims can find a shelter inside monasteries, churches and some B&B.
It's not and easy path due to the continuous ups and downs. Need to be a little bit trained and to know how to walk for a day long with everything you can need in your backpack. It's a beautiful path to discover.

I tracked the route with GPS, you can find the Via Ghibellina tracks on Wikiloc
There is a small guide made by the association Comunità Toscana "Il Pellegrino" but it's only in italian at the moment

I wrote diaries about those days on the Via Ghibellina on my blog. You can find them with GPS tracks here:

- Via Ghibellina diaries
- Via Ghibellina suggestions and GUIDE

- Via Ghibellina GPS track day 1: from Florence to Pieve a Pitiana (wikiloc)
- Via Ghibellina GPS track day 2: from Pieve a Pitiana to Prato di Strada (wikiloc)
- Via Ghibellina GPS track day 3: from Prato di Strada to La Verna Sanctuary (wikiloc)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back