• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

History brought to the surface in Spain and elsewhere as a consequence of the drought

Madrood

Time of past OR future Camino
Estrecho (2023)
Hi all

I came across a twitter thread listing some normally submerged archaeology that has reappeared due to the heatwave. Much of it is in Spain so I figured it would be of interest to ye.

A view of the Roman camp Aquis Querquennis, located on the banks of the Limia River in Galicia, Spain.

1660502726882.png

The XIV century Mesta Bridge in Villarta de los Montes (Extremadura, Spain), a nice example of Mudéjar-Gothic civil engineering. Since 1956 it’s been covered by the waters of the Cijara Reservoir, but the drought has brought it back to light. Youtube link here

The Elbe River’s hunger stones, carved centuries ago to mark the low-water levels that were recorded on years when crops failed and famine occurred. This one, dating back to 1616, reads “If you see me, weep.”

1660502964315.png

The Galician village of Aceredo, swallowed up by the Lima River after the construction of the Alto Lindoso Reservoir in 1992. The village reappears every time the water drops to dangerously low levels.

1660503014668.png

Also in Galicia: The village of Portomarín, which vanished after the inauguration of the Belesar Reservoir in 1963. The reservoir’s water levels have have to 39% of its total capacity.

1660503046113.png

The remains of the Royal Site of La Isabela bathhouse emerge from the low waters of the Buendia reservoir, in Sacedon, Spain, August 7, 2022.

1660503074543.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all

I came across a twitter thread listing some normally submerged archaeology that has reappeared due to the heatwave. Much of it is in Spain so I figured it would be of interest to ye.

A view of the Roman camp Aquis Querquennis, located on the banks of the Limia River in Galicia, Spain.

View attachment 131060

The XIV century Mesta Bridge in Villarta de los Montes (Extremadura, Spain), a nice example of Mudéjar-Gothic civil engineering. Since 1956 it’s been covered by the waters of the Cijara Reservoir, but the drought has brought it back to light. Youtube link here

The Elbe River’s hunger stones, carved centuries ago to mark the low-water levels that were recorded on years when crops failed and famine occurred. This one, dating back to 1616, reads “If you see me, weep.”

View attachment 131061

The Galician village of Aceredo, swallowed up by the Lima River after the construction of the Alto Lindoso Reservoir in 1992. The village reappears every time the water drops to dangerously low levels.

View attachment 131062

Also in Galicia: The village of Portomarín, which vanished after the inauguration of the Belesar Reservoir in 1963. The reservoir’s water levels have have to 39% of its total capacity.

View attachment 131063

The remains of the Royal Site of La Isabela bathhouse emerge from the low waters of the Buendia reservoir, in Sacedon, Spain, August 7, 2022.

View attachment 131064

Hi all

View attachment 131060

View attachment 131061

View attachment 131062

View attachment 131063

View attachment 131064
Did Portomarín get flooded for reservoir any reincarnation?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On a totally different scale the recent mini-drought in Cumbria UK has revealed the route of the foul sewer from my house to the septic tank.

I know I’ve made some fairly boring posts in the past, and this is right up there with the best of them, but I’m rather pleased with the added information.

Do carry on.

Brilliant post. Who would have guessed that a drought could have a positive side to it? Great pictures. Also love the quote…. if you see me weep. Obviously written by someone with a sense of tragedy and humour.
It's actually not uncommon for droughts to benefit archaeology. The foundations of long demolished structures, including Celtic ringforts, can become visible in fields from an aerial view. Not sure what the physics of it is.

@MickMac Sorry I don't understand the question

@henrythedog You live in a nice part of the world (sewers notwithstanding). On the post topic there are a few reservoirs in England built on flooded villages where this can happen. IIRC at the Derwent reservoir in Derbyshire, when the water levels get low enough a church spire appears.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's actually not uncommon for droughts to benefit archaeology. The foundations of long demolished structures, including Celtic ringforts, can become visible in fields from an aerial view. Not sure what the physics of it is.

@henrythedog You live in a nice part of the world (sewers notwithstanding). On the post topic there are a few reservoirs in England built on flooded villages where this can happen. IIRC at the Derwent reservoir in Derbyshire, when the water levels get low enough a church spire appears.
Yes, I am fortunate.

There’s another example, like the Derwent reservoir, just a little north of me. Hawswater reservoir flooded the hamlet of Mardale Green; which reappears when the water’s very low.

Several places in Galicia now have only 4 hours of water a day now… we are running very low. We might get some drops this Wednesday, but it will not be enough. Pilgrims should be prepared for water shortages in Spain until the rain comes again (October->).
Not wanting to drag this too far off topic but Spain is welcome to some of our weather at the moment. July was the wettest July in Aotearoa New Zealand since records began. See: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national...highest 1-day rainfall,Waipara West on 9 July

They say that some Spanish girl called La Niña is to blame.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On a totally different scale the recent mini-drought in Cumbria UK has revealed the route of the foul sewer from my house to the septic tank.

I know I’ve made some fairly boring posts in the past, and this is right up there with the best of them, but I’m rather pleased with the added information.

Do carry on.
You keep an American in your garden???

Not wanting to drag this too far off topic but Spain is welcome to some of our weather at the moment. July was the wettest July in Aotearoa New Zealand since records began. See: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/472154/wet-warm-july-proves-one-for-record-books#:~:text=The highest 1-day rainfall,Waipara West on 9 July

They say that some Spanish girl called La Niña is to blame.
Surely it's

Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But WE know, it's OUR own damn fault

(apologies to Jimmy Buffett - good song though and just 4 chords: D, A, A7 & G)

The physics are wonderfully simple :)
Most archaeological features are ditches or pits that have been backfilled with organic material. The organic material retains water longer during drought so the plants above stay greener longer. The reverse works with buried walls etc, the plants above yellow faster.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all

View attachment 131060

View attachment 131061

View attachment 131062

View attachment 131063

View attachment 131064
Thank you!!

Hi all

View attachment 131060

View attachment 131061

View attachment 131062

View attachment 131063

View attachment 131064
Fascinating! Here in the US state of Nevada, Lake Mead is revealing many interesting ‘treasures’ due to current drought conditions. Thank you for sharing this post and the accompanying photos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The entire village of Portomarìn was relocated up the hill as part of the dam construction project. I've seen a post of an old 50's or 60's video of the village being relocated/abandoned. Someone else probably has a link. I believe the entire church in the center of town was moved to it's present location, stone by numbered stone.

The entire village of Portomarìn was relocated up the hill as part of the dam construction project. I've seen a post of an old 50's or 60's video of the village being relocated/abandoned. Someone else probably has a link. I believe the entire church in the center of town was moved to it's present location, stone by numbered stone.
I may be wrong, but I believe that the WHOLE village was not relocated, only the major important buildings would have been dismantled and rebuilt. The church of San Nicolás was definitely one of them, and you can still see the numbers on some of the stones.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was there a few months ago. The water level was very low, which meant that the height of the dam wall was pretty scary, a real feat of engineering.

Philtration understood my post thank you Phil.

The miltary camp Aquis Qerquennis was set there for the construction of VIA XVIII also known as VIA NOVA, from Braga (Bracara Augusta) to Astorga (Asturica Augusta). The camino Geira e dos Arrieiros follows the Via Nova from Braga to Lobios.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back