• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

History Time…Again... Cagots

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
The Cagots (pronounced [ka.ɡo]) were a persecuted minority found in the west of France and northern Spain: the Navarrese Pyrenees, Basque provinces, Béarn, Aragón, Gascony and Brittany. Their name differed by province and the local language: Agotes, Agotak, and Gafos in Basque country; Cagots, Gézitains, Gahets, and Gafets in Gascony; Capots in Anjou and Languedoc; and Cacons, Cahets, Caqueux, and Caquins in Brittany. Evidence of the group exists back as far as AD 1000. Cagots were shunned and hated; while restrictions varied by time and place, they were typically required to live in separate quarters in towns, called cagoteries, which were often on the far outskirts of the villages. Ah…Scruffy…Camino remember? The anti-Cagot prejudice existed in northern Spain, Western France, and Southern France, roughly coinciding with the main routes of the Caminos leading through France into Northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela. There was a brief construction boom on the Way of St. James pilgrimage route in the 9th and 10th centuries; this could have brought the guild both power and suspicion. The collapse of their business would have left a scattered yet cohesive group in the areas where Cagots are known. For more info start here: The Discovery of France, Graham Robb Picador 2007 or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagot

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
An interesting folk. Massa Google will offer loads of "information". but if you just file under "oppressed working class", or "subjective minority", you'll have them fairly well wrapped up. Interesting to note that the areas and eras when the Cagot took their worst kickings were when the landed peasantry of France were under most pressure from Church and State. Its amazing how much better a well beaten dog feels once it has bitten the cat...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I cannot remember exactly where, but I believe it was nearing SJPdP on the Le Puy Route, my guidebook pointed out a church that had a separate doorway for the Cagots. They were not allowed to mingle with the rest of the congregation.

I remember that too, and it was not confined to one church IIRC.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It sums up the idiocy of prejudice, because the root of the hatred is unknown, and yet it has persisted.

And the idiocy is self-perpetuating, because as Graham Robb mentions: "They were feared because they were persecuted and might therefore seek revenge." So it is not unlikely that, with the root of the hatred already forgotten, they were also persecuted because they were feared. A vicious circle.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back