• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hobbit houses? along the Camino de Santiago

Damien Park

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July (2016)
Hey fellow pilgrims.

I'm currently writing about Camino on my personal blog and I came across a few photos that might help clarify the burning questions I had about these earthen houses.

They seem to be more frequent along the Burgos-Leon route and are extremely peculiar looking.

Some do look like they had been used as some sort of wine cellar or a fermentation hole for cheese.

But some of them actually have a proper chimney piping out on top of the mound, windows that are always blocked (so I couldn't peep inside) and doors that have knockers.

so assuming Alice didn't live in Spain,

could someone elaborate on what these fascinating looking places were used for?
The obvious answer is "a house" but I would like to know their name, history and perhaps tales and legends.

many thanks prior,

Damien

Attachments

• IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 86
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The ones I saw and visited were typically 'man caves', bodegas. Wine storage rooms with a small kitchen and common area where (mostly) men would hang out with friends. The ones I saw on the CF were not adapted to permanent living, but I know that there are some in Southern Spain that are. SY

The ones I saw and visited were typically 'man caves', bodegas. Wine storage rooms with a small kitchen and common area where (mostly) men would hang out with friends. The ones I saw on the CF were not adapted to permanent living, but I know that there are some in Southern Spain that are. SY

Hi, thanks for the prompt answer. Any Idea what those man caves were called in Spanish?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I noticed similar structures in the way from Lepoeder to Ibañeta, closer to the latter (see photo and also here, in Google Maps). They are in the middle of nowhere, so in this case I don't think they could be "bodegas".
There was a van parked in the road, marked "Navarra University", and some people inspecting them, so they may have some historical interest.

Attachments

• DSCF3408-b.jpg
    DSCF3408-b.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 57
I noticed similar structures in the way from Lepoeder to Ibañeta, closer to the latter (see photo and also here, in Google Maps). They are in the middle of nowhere, so in this case I don't think they could be "bodegas".
There was a van parked in the road, marked "Navarra University", and some people inspecting them, so they may have some historical interest.

Hazarding a wild guess here - they look like underground shepherds huts/caves/stables to me.
Buen Camino, SY

I guess I will be contacting the University to see if they can provide me with a better answer. In the meantime, I agree with you on the historical value of the structures, because some of them seemed ancient!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first time we walked, our son had just finished reading "The Hobbit". As we were walking down the hill into Moratinos, there they were - hobbit houses!

Several years later, when we stayed with Rebekah and Paddy, we got to see the inside of one of the "houses". Alas, Bilbo Baggins wasn't at home that day, just a lot of dusty wine bottles...

Last edited:
Thanks, @mspath and @Kathar1na. The idea of this being a bunker crossed my mind -they were similar to others I had seen in "Casa de Campo", behind the royal palace of Madrid, but I was not sure. Fortunately, these monuments to the fear (others, more grandiose and architectonic can be seen in Saint Jean Pied de Port and Pamplona) are just curiosities of the past. Hope they will never come back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bodegas - giving a subtle hint regarding their main use ;-) SY
WHAT?!? Somewhere to generate "body gas"??!!
Anyway ... remember that in Spain, shepherds are still used all the time to look after the flocks of sheep [unlike in the UK]. I've occasionally seen these being used for shelter by shepherds.

Reb Scott installed a sign along the Camino in Moratinos to explain the bodegas. There is a wonderful restaurant in Moratinos that is a large bodega.

This reminds me of the tumulus we saw in France near Carnac. A very interesting area with lots stone structures as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anyway ... remember that in Spain, shepherds are still used all the time to look after the flocks of sheep [unlike in the UK]. I've occasionally seen these being used for shelter by shepherds.
I think I saw some shepherd huts between Torres del Río and Viana, near the Ermita del Poyo. They were no more than 1,5 meter high.
I can't remember exactly the place.

Attachments

• IMGP4325-b.jpg
    IMGP4325-b.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 13
Some of these are used for wine storage.
Wish you well, Peter.

Attachments

• 20150507_072057.jpg
    20150507_072057.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just remembered this BBC article http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160811-the-cave-dwellers-of-southern-spain
More cave dwellers ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Interesting, but no need to go so far from the Camino. Just over Nájera, in this reddish cliff that can be seen so well from the frontyard ot the Municipal albergue.
As I read more and more about interesting cultural and historic places along the Camino, I am starting to feel that I went as a horse with blinders. I was so intent of "doing it" that I did not pay attention to anything except albergues, roads, supermarkets and restaurants. It was walk, eat, sleep (and some talking) and repeat. Well....maybe it is that I am looking for more excuses to come back.

Last edited:
Actually Guadix is on a camino - the camino Mozarabe from Almeria ;-) Lovely video from Nájera! SY

Interesting, but no need to go so far from the Camino. Just over Nájera, in this reddish cliff that can be seen so well from the frontyard ot the Municipal albergue.
As I read more and more about interesting cultural and historic places along the Camino, I am starting to feel that I went as a horse with blinders. I was so intent of "doing it" that I did not pay attention to anything except albergues, roads, supermarkets and restaurants. It was walk, eat, sleep (and some talking). Well....maybe it is that I am looking for more excuses to come back.
Thank you for posting this, @Felipe. I remember walking into a town on the Francés where we could see caves on the steep cliff nearby. There was an adjacent museum which I wanted to visit, but it was closed the entire time we were in the village.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

If you read Spanish, you can find a good abstract at: http://elrincondelatradicion.blogspot.com/2015/10/vino-bodega-y-canciones.html

Aren't these bunkers, either from the Linea P or earlier?

Right. The one of the picture is a bunker from the Línea P.

AFAIK, the ones in Nájera aren't inhabitated nowadays while the ones in Guadix are still inhabited. In fact, Guadix is in the province of Granada being Granada the province of Spain with most people living in caves.

Shepherds usually use other sort of buildings like, for example, chozos: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chozo

Hey fellow pilgrims.

I'm currently writing about Camino on my personal blog and I came across a few photos that might help clarify the burning questions I had about these earthen houses.

They seem to be more frequent along the Burgos-Leon route and are extremely peculiar looking.

Some do look like they had been used as some sort of wine cellar or a fermentation hole for cheese.

But some of them actually have a proper chimney piping out on top of the mound, windows that are always blocked (so I couldn't peep inside) and doors that have knockers.

The obvious answer is "a house" but I would like to know their name, history and perhaps tales and legends.

many thanks prior,

Damien

Thanks for all your insightful telltales, I finally excavated knowledge about these "hobbit houses."

[SYates] was correct about the structures being called the "bodegas."

Here is what I found:

"En la misma entrada de reliegos hay unas bodegas de vino tradicionales en ladrillo y adobe. sirven para conservar el apreciado liquido pero sobre todo como lugar de encuentro para comer, beber y charlar"

Which reads as following,

At the entrance of reliegos there are traditional wine cellars in brick and adobe. They serve as a storage for drinks but mostly as a meeting place to eat, drink and chat.

So, they literally are "man caves," a hide out for thirsty lads who wanted to avoid their wives' henpecking ;)

Cheers!

-Damien

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey fellow pilgrims.

many thanks prior,

Damien
My daughter and I walked the Oporto to Santiago in 2014 and I posted many pictures that I called hobbit hole and hobbit communities. Now my grandson and I just finished the Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and I swear I saw several more hobbit hole.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back