• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoka one one torrent starting to break after 10 days

salga

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned camino frances in April 2020
Hi everyone,

if all goes well at work, I will start my first Camino, starting from SJPDP around 8th of April this year ☺️
I have purchased Hoka Torrent female shoes 10 days ago, and started walking in them around the town, down the river, basicaly easy walks on nice terrain, from around 3-10 km. Yesterday I have noticed the material tearing on the top of left shoe (check the photo). I am thinking of taking it back to the store where I have bought it, as I am worried it will get only worst during my camino, and then I will be in trouble.
However, when I bought it it was the last pair of this size they had and the only pair in store I found comfortable, so I am not sure I could get a new or different pair there.

Another issue I have, I have noticed after walking few km, my heels turn painful, and after longer walk, all feet hurt. Now I am a passionate walker, I walk everywhere any time I can, and I usually don’t have this problem (unless we are talking doing 10km+ around the city in converse). I think the Torrents don’t have enough cushioning for me and that another model might work better. Would the insoles help? And if yes, which ones would be recommended?

At this point I should mention I leave in Finland and I found it very difficult to find shoes for camino that fit me as it seems that during the winter most of the shops have mostly Gore-Tex shoes and havier boots. This hoka torrent was the only pair in entire city I found that I liked.
Any ideas, advices on what to do?

Attachments

• 62E97247-A823-4483-8244-7B9BD1DFBAC3.jpeg
    62E97247-A823-4483-8244-7B9BD1DFBAC3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 178
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would take then back and get a refund.. if you are happy with the style can you not just order the same pair online? And if you are considering inserts allow for the extra few mm if you decide to get thicker ones than the ones supplied

Hmm. This is a tough one. You already notice the shoe deteriorating - you are right, it's only going to get worse. You have unexpected discomfort in your feet - your most important set of equipment - and you are just doing normal walking in new shoes. It seems to indicate you need a different set of shoes. But fast! Do you have a pair of walking shoes that are especially comfortable? Maybe you can find a pair of sturdier walkers from the same company that will work for you? You can order on-line. A comfortable pair of shoes that seem too heavy would be better than a pair that do not fit right. And, yes, take them back, tell them what the problem is, and get a refund. Maybe the people in the shoe store have the expertise to help you. Good luck, you are wise to pay close attention to your feet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another issue I have, I have noticed after walking few km, my heels turn painful, and after longer walk, all feet hurt.

Then they're probably too small for your long-distance hiking needs. Those are the basic symptoms of it. Those shoes would probably give you blisters.

Many people need larger shoes for hiking than normal walking, you'd just be joining the club. You don't need "comfortable", you need "functional". (though most very preferably with the first as well 👉 )

At this point I should mention I leave in Finland and I found it very difficult to find shoes for camino that fit me as it seems that during the winter most of the shops have mostly Gore-Tex shoes and havier boots. This hoka torrent was the only pair in entire city I found that I liked.
Any ideas, advices on what to do?

There are many pilgrim shops along the Camino Francès, so if you can't find what you need at home, bring a few €€€ with you from Suomi and you will certainly find what you need along the Way.

Then they're probably too small for your long-distance hiking needs. Those are the basic symptoms of it. Those shoes would probably give you blisters.

Many people need larger shoes for hiking than normal walking, you'd just be joining the club. You don't need "comfortable", you need "functional". (though most very preferably with the first as well 👉 )

There are many pilgrim shops along the Camino Francès, so if you can't find what you need at home, bring a few €€€ with you from Suomi and you will certainly find what you need along the Way.
I did actualy buy one size larger ☺️ And so far I didnt sense any danger of blisters (yet), the only issue is the cushioning and and that tearing part..

Hello fellow pilgrim,

maybe it's part of your walking-style? It seems that this is the inner part of your pair?
Did the other shoe look alike?

Just asking!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello fellow pilgrim,

maybe it's part of your walking-style? It seems that this is the inner part of your pair?
Did the other shoe look alike?

Just asking!
The other shoe looks intact☺️

OK, than it seem to be a quality-issue.
Take them back, get a refund and try to buy another pair.

If you have hurting feet after a while of walking, you should try to lace up with more strength. Sometime this works wonders.

I did actualy buy one size larger ☺ And so far I didnt sense any danger of blisters (yet), the only issue is the cushioning and and that tearing part..

That pain at the heels is a precursor of blistering -- I can understand your need for cushioning, though it's quite pointless for me to pursue it myself (I was younger once with more delicate feet than the monstrosities I've ended up with) ; but a good part of if you need a half or full size larger hiking shoes is how big your starting normal size is in the first place.

But what you really need, outside all of these silly abstractions, is : what will actually work. And it seems to me that you haven't.

If you need cushioning, then make sure that the shoes you eventually purchase, whether in Finland or in Spain, will provide good cushioning.

You can start your Camino with imperfect footwear, and then replace it a few days along after you have a better understanding of what's best for your feet and for the hiking. One of the great things about the Camino is that in case of a bad choice, you can just go right ahead and fix it immediately !!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have worn Hoka One Ones on the camino and loved them. It was like walking on marshmellows.
The picture you have shown I have had that exact same issue with a good pair of Nike's. My walking gait is with my feet in a very straight line almost as if walking on a balance beam. I discovered that the ankle areas of the shoes were rubbing together and touching the other side as I walked each step and wore out that particular spot on each shoe. I would guess that is your problem as well.
I think if your camino is a long one that the shoes may become grubby anyway when you are finished. Even if that spot wears out it should not affect your comfort or the shoes durability; it never did on my Nike's and I used them for several years....just my opinion.

I did actualy buy one size larger ☺ And so far I didnt sense any danger of blisters (yet), the only issue is the cushioning and and that tearing part..
I walked 3 Caminos in Hoka Speedgoats. The sole is more durable than some other Hoka soles. I wouldn’t walk in anything else. The deterioration in your picture is from your gate. I have the same wear in my shoes because one shoe hits the other shoe when you walk. This will continue to happen no matter what shoes you buy. It doesn’t affect the overall wear or comfort of the shoe. The soles and footbed are most important. Hoka’s are amazing for comfort, don’t need any breaking in, but they do break down quickly. I trained in one pair then put on a brand new pair of same shoe the day I left for the Camino (all three times). They were pretty much done after 500 miles. This system worked for me. Good luck. And Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The deterioration in your picture is from your gate. I have the same wear in my shoes because one shoe hits the other shoe when you walk. This will continue to happen no matter what shoes you buy. It doesn’t affect the overall wear or comfort of the shoe. The soles and footbed are most important.
I agree...this is what I was trying to say, but you described it better. For me, only certain trail runners cause this particular wearing problem, but not all. It does not affeect the overall performance or comfort of the shoe.

I walked 3 Caminos in Hoka Speedgoats. The sole is more durable than some other Hoka soles. I wouldn’t walk in anything else. The deterioration in your picture is from your gate. I have the same wear in my shoes because one shoe hits the other shoe when you walk. This will continue to happen no matter what shoes you buy. It doesn’t affect the overall wear or comfort of the shoe. The soles and footbed are most important. Hoka’s are amazing for comfort, don’t need any breaking in, but they do break down quickly. I trained in one pair then put on a brand new pair of same shoe the day I left for the Camino (all three times). They were pretty much done after 500 miles. This system worked for me. Good luck. And Buen Camino.
Thank you for your input! I am in doubts if my walking caused it because the problem appeared on just one shoe.
I just got new pair- speedgoats, and will see if the problem reappears. I am happy to hear this shouldn’t cause me any trouble while walking though! In case if it really happens again ☺️

The new pair feels much more comfortable and it has vibram sole, so lets hope for the best 🤞🏻🤞🏻☺️

Thank you everyone for your advices.
I returned the shoes (they said they have to contact Hoka to see if they can refund me, took my shoes and will let me know; I am optimistic it will be resolved well).

Then I found this small specialized store, a man there did camino too and he knew very well what I am talking about.. ☺️ And i got Hoka Speedgoat 3. They seem perfect and feel havenly- like walking on a marshmallow as someone else here said With vibram sole and much better cushioning. I again took one size bigger too. So i am hoping they will work perfectly for me.☺️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another issue I have, I have noticed after walking few km, my heels turn painful, and after longer walk, all feet hurt. Now I am a passionate walker, I walk everywhere any time I can, and I usually don’t have this problem (unless we are talking doing 10km+ around the city in converse).
If the shoes were properly fit in the store, they are NOT too short, especially at the low levels of walking you're doing around town still. A half size up is the most you should need with properly fitted shoes. There is a different explanation for the heel pain, far more probable, than blisters.

The Hoka's are very close to "zero drop", meaning that the heels are almost flat with the front of the shoe, rather than raised (effectively, it gets close to barefoot walking with soles). If you are used to wearing normal walking shoes, the heels are moderately to significantly higher than the front of the shoe. This means your tendons and calves are probably being stretched and used in ways they aren't used to; this is the most likely explanation of your pain. If you google "zero drop shoes" you will find a wealth of information on them, including exercises to condition your legs to walking in a "minimalist" shoe. I go barefoot or in Birkenstocks about 70% of the time, and I still had to adjust.

The Speedgoat is already very good at being able to open up laterally by adjusting the laces. This accommodates your feet when they swell after sustained walking. Make sure that, with a full size larger, your heel stays locked in and doesn't start sliding about (one of several problems that comes from using too large a shoe). To help with locking your heel in place, the "lace lock" or "heel lock" lacing technique solves this (and many blister problems as well). Also, three other sites with lacing tips (in order of usefulness) to solve common fit problems are here and here and here.

EDIT: One other recommendation is to get a replacement insert at a running store that is heat molded specifically to your foot. They'll warm it and you'll stand on it on a foam bed while it cools. This will give you the arch support and heel bed exactly matched to your foot. This will go a long way to reducing pain of collapsing arches as you walk, and hugely reduce likelihood of blisters.

Last edited:
Amazing tips, thank you! I will take a look at those☺️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The other shoe looks intact☺
Very few people have truly symmetrical gaits. If you are grazing the edge of one shoe with the other, there's no guarantee you are grazing the other shoe in reverse. You could walk with one foot at an angle that is only a few degrees different and it could result in one-sided wear. Given that these are almost zero drop shoes, your walking mechanics could easily be slightly different than what you normally do.

I have one leg that is ever so slightly longer than the other, and I walk with my hips ever so slightly off center. Thus, I have slightly more added wear on the ball of one foot that isn't there on the other. I asked my PT about it (I was actually seeing him about the pain I was getting from adapting to zero-drop shoes) and he said that almost everyone has some degree of asymmetry from any number of different causes. For most it's not a major issue, but it presents as asymmetric wear on their shoes. He said he could usually isolate his patient's problems just by looking at their shoe wear patterns.

Very few people have truly symmetrical gaits. If you are grazing the edge of one shoe with the other, there's no guarantee you are grazing the other shoe in reverse. You could walk with one foot at an angle that is only a few degrees different and it could result in one-sided wear. Given that these are almost zero drop shoes, your walking mechanics could easily be slightly different than what you normally do.

I have one leg that is ever so slightly longer than the other, and I walk with my hips ever so slightly off center. Thus, I have slightly more added wear on the ball of one foot that isn't there on the other. I asked my PT about it (I was actually seeing him about the pain I was getting from adapting to zero-drop shoes) and he said that almost everyone has some degree of asymmetry from any number of different causes. For most it's not a major issue, but it presents as asymmetric wear on their shoes. He said he could usually isolate his patient's problems just by looking at their shoe wear patterns.
That’s really interesting. I am curious now to see if the same problem will appear with my new Hoka Speedgoats. Let’s see!
In the meantime I opted for a change of shoes as well because I found the previous ones uncomfortable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone,

if all goes well at work, I will start my first Camino, starting from SJPDP around 8th of April this year ☺
I have purchased Hoka Torrent female shoes 10 days ago, and started walking in them around the town, down the river, basicaly easy walks on nice terrain, from around 3-10 km. Yesterday I have noticed the material tearing on the top of left shoe (check the photo). I am thinking of taking it back to the store where I have bought it, as I am worried it will get only worst during my camino, and then I will be in trouble.
However, when I bought it it was the last pair of this size they had and the only pair in store I found comfortable, so I am not sure I could get a new or different pair there.

Another issue I have, I have noticed after walking few km, my heels turn painful, and after longer walk, all feet hurt. Now I am a passionate walker, I walk everywhere any time I can, and I usually don’t have this problem (unless we are talking doing 10km+ around the city in converse). I think the Torrents don’t have enough cushioning for me and that another model might work better. Would the insoles help? And if yes, which ones would be recommended?

At this point I should mention I leave in Finland and I found it very difficult to find shoes for camino that fit me as it seems that during the winter most of the shops have mostly Gore-Tex shoes and havier boots. This Hoka torrent was the only pair in entire city I found that I liked.
Any ideas, advice on what to do?
Hello Salga. I can only relate to you, what I did before walking my first Camino 6 months ahead of walking I went to an orthotics expert who was a walker/hiker himself. He looked at my feet did some measurements and then told me what sort of shoe/boot to buy. In my case a wide shoe, also when you go to try the shoes on be wearing TWO sets of socks this can be a thin pair next to your skin then a proper pair of good quality walking socks over the top of them this allows your feet to dissipate the friction between the two socks. Then as well as all that make sure your shoe/boot has plenty of room in it after all these socks. Because your next instruction is to go back to your orthotics person with your new shoes/boots and socks. He will then fit you with the right insoles VERY IMPORTANT. my orthotics person even suggested right at the start that I try and get the shoes out on loan and bring them to him to have a look at.THAT'S HOW IMPORTANT IT IS.
Now that you have your shoes/boots two pairs of socks and your tailor-made insoles you should still have a comfortable amount of room in your shoe. Because your feet are going to get BIG. My first walk was in Aug, and I and most of us were wearing two pair of socks and after fifteen k,s in the heat we would take one sock out of each shoe to get more room because of foot swell.
The reason I am pushing my message home with this post is that on my third walk with my eldest daughter this happened.
She lives close to us in New Zealand and she came buzzing through the door one Saturday morning and said look I have got my walking shoes "They are like walking on clouds".Well those clouds turned to thunder clouds after about four days of walking. I didn't have the heart to tell her when she bought the shoes, what she should have done. She finished the walk but only just.
PLEASE GET SOME EXPERT ADVICE.
Beun Camino God bless.

Where is Dave Bugg
It is my understanding that he is taking a break, temporary or otherwise.

Enjoy your break Dave, but hurry back when you are done.

Your wise and experienced counsel is highly value by me, and I'm sure, most of us too!

Cheers

Graham

Ughhh I just typed up a long response and lost it.
My first Hokas were in 2013 before many had even heard of them, they were Stinsons and I did the Norte and Inglais in them, they were beyond fantastic. I had done the Frances in Brooks and suffered a lot. My 2013 Stinsons looked almost the same when I finished as they did when I started.
A few years later I bought six pairs of HOKA Stinsons for five of my children and myself to do Le Puy and Norte (connected via the Pyrenees). The shoe had definitely changed. Leather near the toe was replaced with fabric etc...
They too showed the exact wear and very quickly, I even blogged about it, I was disappointed and shared it. BUT those shoes got us to the finish!!!!! and in hindsite I'm not so sure that that wear hurt us.
I am not convincing you to stay in those shoes...I don't have anything to gain to do so...but sharing what happened to us.
We went back for the Portuguese route (plus RV) and got the boot style Hokas, for me it was mistake , my feet hurt, my kids did well...thanksfully in Lisbon I got some more Hokas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ughhh I just typed up a long response and lost it.
My first Hokas were in 2013 before many had even heard of them, they were Stinsons and I did the Norte and Inglais in them, they were beyond fantastic. I had done the Frances in Brooks and suffered a lot. My 2013 Stinsons looked almost the same when I finished as they did when I started.
A few years later I bought six pairs of HOKA Stinsons for five of my children and myself to do Le Puy and Norte (connected via the Pyrenees). The shoe had definitely changed. Leather near the toe was replaced with fabric etc...
They too showed the exact wear and very quickly, I even blogged about it, I was disappointed and shared it. BUT those shoes got us to the finish!!!!! and in hindsite I'm not so sure that that wear hurt us.
I am not convincing you to stay in those shoes...I don't have anything to gain to do so...but sharing what happened to us.
We went back for the Portuguese route (plus RV) and got the boot style Hokas, for me it was mistake , my feet hurt, my kids did well...thanksfully in Lisbon I got some more Hokas.
I have been researching Hokas for my wife who has alot of problems with her feet. She is not a Camino person at all but we do walk alot especially now. I always read how Hokas are just loved by so many so have been exploring them. Been looking at the Rincon and One One. I had to laugh a little when yo said you had Brooks and suffered on the CF with them. I am a devotee of Brooks Cascadias. Have walked 5 Caminos and would not consider anything else. It really shows that taste, beliefs, likes and especially feet are such a singular and personal thing. Enjoy your Hokas and I am waiting for my next set of Brooks to come in the mail for whenever I can walk the VDLP hopefully sooner rather than later. Buen Camino and stay safe!

It56 ... My wife LOVES her Rincons wide/8.5 (reg 7.5-8). She probably has 500k on them, including October 220k of LePuy-Conques. There is definate wear on soles, but still lots of tread left and no fabric damage. I switched from 20 years of New Balance to the Hoka Clifton - I've taken 10k walks, come home and forgot to remove them since they were so comfortable! Wife as well, including going to dinnner most nights on LePuy after 25k walks! Our local store has 90 day return policy - they want you to get it right. So ... We both have a new back-up pair in the closet!!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.