• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoka speed goat 5 vs hoka anacapa breeze also a sock question

motero99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portugues (2023)
I am in need of new hiking shoes. Vasque no longer makes the Breeze GTX models I have used in the past and have not seen any Vasques lately in the backpacking stores. I tried Keene and Merril shoes, but they were not comfortable. I have also been struggling with plantar fasciitis for nearly a year. It was not due to the hiking shoes, but has been tough to get rid of. I ordered orthotics for the plantar fasciitis which should arrive Friday. The podiatrist and the tech who fitted me for the orthotics recommended looking at Hoka's. I have read some new and older threads which talked about the Speed Goat 5 and Stinson shoes. I do not see the Stinsons listed on the Hoka website, but there is the Anacapa Breeze. Has anyone tried this model who is also familiar with the Speed Goat 5? If so, I would love to hear what you think about them.
A related question is what do you use for socks with the trail runner style shoes. On the CF in 2019, about half way through I developed some bad blisters. When I got to Leon, I bought some liner socks and some regular hiking socks. I wore them together and the blister problem went away. I have been using that combination of socks since then. do those of you who use trail runners use two pair of socks or just one?
I hope to look for shoes this coming weekend and would appreciate reading your thoughts to my questions before I go.
thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Everyone is different, so very hard to suggest anything. I reckon it's trial and error.
I'm using Hoka Stinsons this year. I recently bought 2 pairs, so they are available.
I tried Speedgoats but they were far too lightweight and poorly cushioned for me.
I also have foot issues including plantar fasciitis, so need plenty of cushioning.
My podiatrist made me some new orthotics to fit them, which give good arch support.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And Yes I double sock. Thin merino inner and thicker wool blend outer.

Agree with @Robo that trial and error is The Way (to Avoid Blisters), but since you asked: Single-layer Darn Tough socks with my Altra Olympus trail runners got me through much of my Camino from SJPP to Fisterra blister-free.

I say "much of the way" because I also bought a pair of these delightful Camino-themed socks by Mund at a Planeta Agua store in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and ended up alternating them with the Darn Toughs through Sarria, when the Munds developed a hole in the big toe that I was too lazy to darn until I got home. I love the fact that they say "Buen Camino" when viewed from the back, and I still wear them when feeling sentimental.

IMG_2607.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm also using Hoka Stinsons and am very happy with them during my training. We'll see how they are once I get on the camino and walking in them every day. I did replace the insoles with some Sole Active Thin insoles. They give slightly less cushion but I gain metatarsal support and that's feeling good. Still tons of cushion.

I am in need of new hiking shoes. Vasque no longer makes the Breeze GTX models I have used in the past and have not seen any Vasques lately in the backpacking stores. I tried Keene and Merril shoes, but they were not comfortable. I have also been struggling with plantar fasciitis for nearly a year. It was not due to the hiking shoes, but has been tough to get rid of. I ordered orthotics for the plantar fasciitis which should arrive Friday. The podiatrist and the tech who fitted me for the orthotics recommended looking at Hoka's. I have read some new and older threads which talked about the Speed Goat 5 and Stinson shoes. I do not see the Stinsons listed on the Hoka website, but there is the Anacapa Breeze. Has anyone tried this model who is also familiar with the Speed Goat 5? If so, I would love to hear what you think about them.
A related question is what do you use for socks with the trail runner style shoes. On the CF in 2019, about half way through I developed some bad blisters. When I got to Leon, I bought some liner socks and some regular hiking socks. I wore them together and the blister problem went away. I have been using that combination of socks since then. do those of you who use trail runners use two pair of socks or just one?
I hope to look for shoes this coming weekend and would appreciate reading your thoughts to my questions before I go.
thank you

Forgot the sock questrong and how important that is! Double socks, Merino outer and silk toe socks inner and using liberally a foot lubrication AND taping immediately if you begin feeling trouble in any way . Sometimes I also taped prophylactically In order to avoid anything knowing my danger spots. Buy shoes a half size larger than normal.

I have the Stinsons, Speedgoats and the Challengers. I found the Challengers to have the best blend of comfort and traction. I also have plantar fasciitis and with a replacement insole the Challengers never cause any discomfort. I have no blisters ever wearing a liner sock and thin wool sock. I was wearing the Wright socks which have both built in, but I found they didn’t always come clean enough when hand washing in the albergues and separate liner and wool sock always did. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked 4 Caminos in Hokas- love them! My first I used a thin liner and Darn Tuff wool sock, but the other three I wore a single sock called Sockwell. They are compression socks with Merino wool in them. And I didn’t get and blisters. It worked for me, but for me the compression was vital (car accident shattered my talus bone which now has 6 pins in it and swells horribly unless I wear compression!) Have fun choosing your footwear and Buen Camino!

First of all, I love the various Hokas because the sole is neutral enough to let my custom orthotics do what they were designed to do. I have very flat feet and persistent plantar fasciitis. (Merrill and others were too pronounced for a custom orthodox.). I tried the Anacapa GTX but found it to be too hot for summer. I’m very satisfied with my Speedgoat 5, + my orthodic, + their thin cushion insole over my orthodic, and then for socks I use the 1/4 crew trail Farm to Feet socks. I like the Farm to Feet better than Darn Tough.

The Breeze version of the Anacapa was only just released this week so not sure if anyone has had time to try them out yet. I tried numerous Hoka models - Stinson, Challenger 7, Speedgoat 5, and Clifton 8 - before settling on the Speedgoat 5. I love how lightweight and breathable it is. I‘m wearing just one pair of merino socks - specifically the Darn Though Light Hiker Quarter Lightweight Hiking Socks. I find the shoe and sock combination to be very comfortable. I was definitely intrigued when I saw the new Anacapa Breeze but what puts me off about them is the weight difference between them and the Speedgoats. They are quite a bit heavier and I honestly don’t think the added weight and extra ruggedness of the outsole is actually necessary for something like the Frances.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m wearing the Speedgoats for my May Camino. I usually wear Altra’s, but want something a little more cushioned for this type of hike. Injinji toe liners and Darn Toughs.
I sell the Anacapa GTX and have happy customers. Though the new breeze would be better as personally don’t recommend waterproof for anything more than day hikes.
Everyone is different - I would order both, keep what feels better, and return the others.

Agree with @Robo that trial and error is The Way (to Avoid Blisters), but since you asked: Single-layer Darn Tough socks with my Altra Olympus trail runners got me through much of my Camino from SJPP to Fisterra blister-free.

I say "much of the way" because I also bought a pair of these delightful Camino-themed socks by Mund at a Planeta Agua store in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and ended up alternating them with the Darn Toughs through Sarria, when the Munds developed a hole in the big toe that I was too lazy to darn until I got home. I love the fact that they say "Buen Camino" when viewed from the back, and I still wear them when feeling sentimental.

View attachment 142659
For what it's worth, Wrightsocks also have a Camino-themed "blister-proof" sock:
1678284125709.png

I walked the Portuguese Central Route in Hoka Anacapa’s last December (not sure how the breeze differs). They were amazing, not one hint of a blister and only felt fatigue on my heels the last day with 26 kms, pouring rain and lots of hard surfaces. I used GTX which I was very grateful for but the weather was cold so sweaty feet not such an issue. They felt light but with heaps of traction and support. I bought 1 size up which definitely helped.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Forgot the sock questrong and how important that is! Double socks, Merino outer and silk toe socks inner and using liberally a foot lubrication AND taping immediately if you begin feeling trouble in any way . Sometimes I also taped prophylactically In order to avoid anything knowing my danger spots. Buy shoes a half size larger than normal.
Can you post a link to the silk toe liner socks? I am interested in these but can’t find them anywhere.

I’ve walked the Camino Frances twice and the Muxía/Finisterre Camino once - first time in Vasques, and second time in Speedgoat 5’s. I used Wright socks (double layered) both times, and didn’t have a single blisters on either Camino - but I will say the Speed Goats were much kinder to my knees. I’ll be walking the San Salvador, Primitivo, and Finisterre camino in September, and I’ll be wearing Speed Goats again! Only wish they were in more subtle colors - I really like the Cotopaxi version of the Anacapa, but I am not sure I want to mess with perfection - I never had a bad foot day once wearing my Hokas.

I have the Stinsons, Speedgoats and the Challengers. I found the Challengers to have the best blend of comfort and traction. I also have plantar fasciitis and with a replacement insole the Challengers never cause any discomfort. I have no blisters ever wearing a liner sock and thin wool sock. I was wearing the Wright socks which have both built in, but I found they didn’t always come clean enough when hand washing in the albergues and separate liner and wool sock always did. Buen Camino!
I am a huge Hoka fan, and use them mostly for running but some hiking too. Our trails and terrain in Colorado are much like the Camino. This last March, I had a brand new set of both the Speedgoats and Challengers to choose from. After a bit of trying them each out, I chose the Challengers, because as mentioned above, they are a softer / more comfortable ride. They also have good traction, (Speedgoats are somewhat better), and breathe a little easier too. The 1mm in increased drop helps me with my occasional achilles heel flare ups. They did great for two weeks on the Norte. For once, this year, they actually had a less flashy all black color to choose from which I liked for the Camino.

Shoes and fit are so personal, but I have taken to getting the shoes in wide sizes, and a half a size bigger. I toss the included insoles and get a set of Superfeet Green, which keep my foot secured in the oversize shoe. I feel the oversize shoe paired with an anchoring insole work well for me. Your heart skips a few beats when you add up the combined cost, though! I also use the Wright socks in camino styling and swear by them. Yeah, they get a little gray/brown with the hand washing though!

All that said, the Speedgoats are wonderful, and I've been running in them lately and enjoy the lighter "racier" feel. The wild colors are entertaining too. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been blessed to walk and finish two Caminos (Ingles and Portuguese Coastal Litoral), one in the Hoka Speedgoat 5s and the other in a Saucony Peregrine. The Speedgoats were much more comfortable with absolutely no complaints. The Peregrines have a thinner sole overall and I could feel a lot of foot fatigue at the end of the day. I had no blister problems with either brand wearing one mid weight merino wool sock - Darn Tough and Farm to Feet worked well. I am going to hike the Camino Primitivo in May, and I'm thinking about using a mid high boot style, such as the Anacapa Breeze Mid. I'm not sure if I will need the increased ankle support, but I am thinking about it, and I will test fit these shoes. If they don't work out, it will be back to yet another pair of Speedgoat 5s for me!

Over my nine years of Camino walking, my footwear system has evolved (ie, trial and error). I've been using prescription orthotics ever since the plantar fasciitis on Year1. Started out with Vasque leather boots + liner + wool, then shifted to Altra Lone Peaks + Darn Tough. This year, responding to the "mostly pavement" description of the CF, I went with the Hoka Speedgoat5 + Darn Tough. I was really happy with this, as no blisters or other foot issues at all. However, on the stony sections, I was extremely glad to have the orthotic in there to increase the sole stiffness.

I've been blessed to walk and finish two Caminos (Ingles and Portuguese Coastal Litoral), one in the Hoka Speedgoat 5s and the other in a Saucony Peregrine. The Speedgoats were much more comfortable with absolutely no complaints. The Peregrines have a thinner sole overall and I could feel a lot of foot fatigue at the end of the day. I had no blister problems with either brand wearing one mid weight merino wool sock - Darn Tough and Farm to Feet worked well. I am going to hike the Camino Primitivo in May, and I'm thinking about using a mid high boot style, such as the Anacapa Breeze Mid. I'm not sure if I will need the increased ankle support, but I am thinking about it, and I will test fit these shoes. If they don't work out, it will be back to yet another pair of Speedgoat 5s for me!
You don't need boots for the Primitivo, personally I used the same shoes as I did for the Inglés : Altra lone Peaks (+Darn tough). Unfortunately the speed goats are too narrow for me. (shame because they have wonderful cushioning!).
I have orthotics which help increase the cushioning in the sole, otherwise I would probably have considered a rock plate because of the thin soles of the Altras.

It's a wonderful camino, enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore Hoka Kaha's (I think) for the last 114 km of the Frances 2 years ago as well as the Primitivo until Lugo, then switched to Hoka Challengers for the rest of the way (needed to reduce my pack weight). The Challengers, like others have said, are more cushioned and have a bit more rugged upper than the Speedgoats.

I don't have plantar fasciitis, but I bring my own orthotics (posterior tibialis tendonitis) when I go shoe shopping. I make sure that the forefoot is wide enough, the shoe is long enough (I upsize a half to a full size, depending on the shoe, because my feet swell), and with correct lacing, my heel doesn't slide out of the shoe.

I don't have blister problems per se, so will only recommend that you repeat what works for you.

I wore Hoka Kaha's (I think) for the last 114 km of the Frances 2 years ago as well as the Primitivo until Lugo, then switched to Hoka Challengers for the rest of the way (needed to reduce my pack weight). The Challengers, like others have said, are more cushioned and have a bit more rugged upper than the Speedgoats.

I don't have plantar fasciitis, but I bring my own orthotics (posterior tibialis tendonitis) when I go shoe shopping. I make sure that the forefoot is wide enough, the shoe is long enough (I upsize a half to a full size, depending on the shoe, because my feet swell), and with correct lacing, my heel doesn't slide out of the shoe.

I don't have blister problems per se, so will only recommend that you repeat what works for you.
Where did you find the best way to lace shoes? I used to have a photo display of the various ways to lace shoes, but the other year there was some weird flicker on my laptop screen and a number of things disappeared, including my lace-up info.

I have probably 5000 miles on Hokas. Speedgoats for the AT and Israel National Trail to the Holy Sepulchre. Challengers for the Via Francigena and the Frances. Cliftons for Chimayo and Baby Steps on the beaches of Florida. Others. Plus training miles. I’ve used most of them under extended trail conditions longer than 2 weeks.

If you pronate at all there’s a good chance the Vibram trail sole on the Speedgoats will wear down and you’ll be walking on slick soles the last 100 miles or so. Or you’ll be looking to buy shoes on the trail at the end. It’s a great light shoe and the first one I reach for. But I would go with Challengers or Cliftons for the Frances between April and October. Hoka Stinson ATRs also viable. The running shoes simply last a little longer in my experience.

Socks: stopping and changing your socks every 6 miles is more important than the type of fabric or brand name. Solid options are merino socks by Smartwool or Darn Tough. The latter being the Cushioned Quarter Length Hiker which could be the most popular sock for hard core thru hikers. The big thing is socks that breath and dry quickly. Blisters are caused in part by moisture buildup. 3 pairs. 2 for the road and one for bed/spare. Hand wash nightly.

KT or Leukotape for hot spots. I would skip the liners. Not durable, trap heat, slow to dry.

Your mileage can and will vary.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Both my husband and I wore the Anacapa (Breeze) for our Camino Mozarabe. The grip on these is superior to the Challenger (my backup) or the Stinson (hubby's backup) We continued to Santiago via the VDLP to Salamanca and then did the Coastal Portuguese. We ditched the shoes in Santiago...well and truly spend. But they performed great.
Go with what feels best!
Socks: so much good advise already given. I for one can't wait to try out the Wright socks for a future walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Where did you find the best way to lace shoes? I used to have a photo display of the various ways to lace shoes, but the other year there was some weird flicker on my laptop screen and a number of things disappeared, including my lace-up info.
Sadly, YouTube.

Everyone is different, so very hard to suggest anything. I reckon it's trial and error.
I'm using Hoka Stinsons this year. I recently bought 2 pairs, so they are available.
I tried Speedgoats but they were far too lightweight and poorly cushioned for me.
I also have foot issues including plantar fasciitis, so need plenty of cushioning.
My podiatrist made me some new orthotics to fit them, which give good arch support.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And Yes I double sock. Thin merino inner and thicker wool blend outer.

Thank you for the tips. It may perfect sense to use double socks to prevent blisters and to cushion better the foot. I was wondering if the Merino inner you use are 100% wool or they use a combination of fibers. Thank again for your help.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips. It may perfect sense to use double socks to prevent blisters and to cushion better the foot. I was wondering if the Merino inner you use are 100% wool or they use a combination of fibers. Thank again for your help.

I checked.
The inner is a Merino blend.
The outer is a wool blend.

I think the idea of a blend is to make it harder wearing and last longer.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.