• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoka Tor Summit WP Hiking Shoe

Fr.Eduardo

Time of past OR future Camino
April 22 to May 9, 2016
I am planning on wearing the HOKA TOR SUMMIT Waterproof Hiking Shoe. Has anyone used these on El Camino? How did they work for you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning on wearing the HOKA TOR SUMMIT Waterproof Hiking Shoe. Has anyone used these on El Camino? How did they work for you?

You can ask for opinions from others but the only thing that matters is how they suit you - so walk for an hour or two each day and a couple of four-hour walks each week

I have used traditional boots, non gore-tex ones on two different Caminos. I have seen lot of people using regular trail running shoes. The summit seems to include eVent waterproof membrane and vibram outsole. Depending on when you walk, it might be a bit warmer. But offers a good compromise for the Camino trail. So go for it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been trialling a pair home here in Australia while getting back into walking following a foot fracture. I have about 200kms on them now and am really pleased with how they are working for me.

Only test missing is some decent rain but will have to wait a while longer for the season to break here.

If you do a search on Hoka I'm certain that you will find at least one other thread discussing their pros and cons.

@spursfan is correct with advice though - in the end it's not the reviews but what works best for you.

I have been searching for a pair to try for my next Camino but as I cannot find that model I will be walking Hoka Bondi. Many of the Hoka shoes have a narrow toe box (even narrow for me and I had never before found a shoes tha was too narrow!) so do try them on before purchassing, or at least limit to shipping costs if buying on line.

My Bondis have a very pourous sole and will propbably have to be retired after walking the Portuguese but I love the cushioning and incline / rocking. I did have to break them in because the the ittht hit the Achilese tendon was very stiff but all is well now. My podiatrist tells me that I may not need my custom orthotics (flat feet and heelspur) with those shoes! Time will tell, but so far super pleased, also by their weight: they make my Salomon feel like bricks.

How they will do on a rainy day?As they are mesh probably badly, so I will have to wear my EVA Birkies when it rains.

I have been searching for a pair to try for my next Camino but as I cannot find that model I will be walking Hoka Bondi.
The Hoka Tor summit is 20% off at backcountry.com. Perhaps u can send it to a mailbox (kinek) across the border and pick it up if u want to save $$$

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you everyone for your comments. I have been training on the HOKA Tor Summit and they feel great. I am ready to go on the Camino on April 22nd. Please pray for me.
How do you like their Vibram sole?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How do you like their Vibram sole?

I've been trialling the Hoka Tor Summit boots all this year and am really impressed. Went into some really rough Aussie bush over the weekend on loose rock and steep trails. This is a bit rougher than the descent from El Acebo or the climb up to O'Cebreiro so a really good test. The boots 'stuck' well to the trail and gave a really good feel. I only ever trek in boots with vibram soles and these compared very favourably.

These hiking shoes should perform well for the Camino trails in terms of comfort/cushioning/traction etc. Only a long term use can confirm the durability of its outsole. Hoka do not use complete Vibram outsole. Hoka only wraps high wear areas with Vibram, perhaps for saving weight. On the Ultra model (orange) the grey part is vibram and on the summit one can see the entire mid section (dark grey) is not Vibram. This does not mean the shoe is not good for hiking, it just means the long term durability of the outsole would be a concern.12999657_10206032695437273_1841960437_o.jpg

These hiking shoes should perform well for the Camino trails in terms of comfort/cushioning/traction etc. Only a long term use can confirm the durability of its outsole. Hoka do not use complete Vibram outsole. Hoka only wraps high wear areas with Vibram, perhaps for saving weight. On the Ultra model (orange) the grey part is vibram and on the summit one can see the entire mid section (dark grey) is not Vibram. This does not mean the shoe is not good for hiking, it just means the long term durability of the outsole would be a concern.View attachment 25215
I think they may be on to something. After all, my Salomons are not able to do another Camino, but not because of the sole but the shoes cushioning and overall internal structure. So perhaps just enough Vibram to last as long as the rest of the shoe is a smart idea after all?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think they may be on to something. After all, my Salomons are not able to do another Camino, but not because of the sole but the shoes cushioning and overall internal structure. So perhaps just enough Vibram to last as long as the rest of the shoe is a smart idea after all?
You are right. The eva cushioning will only last few hundred miles under heavy use. So the trade off in outsole durability while keeping its weight down seems reasonable. Besides the prices are dropping... REI has them at 25% off now, at $135 these are a bargain.... why not a new pair per Camino.

Updating on the mileage on my Hoka Tor Summit boots. I have now put about 500kms of varied but consistently rough and unforgiving terrain under these boots ie salt lake (concrete like surface), gibber plains (outback stone desert), scree trails, local footpaths both bitumen and concrete, soft and wet coastal sand as well as jaunts to the beach, hardened clay tracks and granite cliff faces. Given that I am used to heavier trekking or mountaineering boots, I am really pleased with the grip and cushioning of the Hokas.

They are also wearing well. Here is a photo of the Hoka( on the left )and my Camino Meindls (Island Lady MFS Active, a heavy mountaineering boot but my choice for several reasons) that have about 1700kms beneath them now. I know that there has been a lot of discussion about the mid section of the Hoka not having a vibram sole. I haven't found this an issue and looking at my Meindls, that area hasn't worn anyway.

I'll continue trialling the Hokas - hoping for the season to break so that I can try them out in the mud and wet - and report back again.

Also FYI there is another thread on the Forum about the Hoka boots as well as other trail and running models Hoka One One - Podiatrist Raved.

hoka_meindl.jpg

@Wokabaut_Meri This is the first review of the Summit with over 500 km walk. It is great to see that the outsole is holding up. I also used traditional boots (mine were Lowa) on two of my Caminos. After some 2000 kms the vibram outsole shows only light wear. I have a wide foot and although the summit was comfortable to try i can feel my small toe stretching the upper. So, for longer distances I prefer a true wide forefoot design. I also wish Hoka will made a non eVent version of these hiking shoes. Please keep posting how your trials go. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am trialling Hoka One One Tor Summit shoes here in desert SW (all rocks) in 100 degree heat. I was worried about getting these, as anything Goretex is HOT here & I always opt for non-waterproof shoes. But the Hoka Event lining is not hot, I was pleasantly surprised. I think the vibram wears well, & the rest of the sole is a "sticky" rubber to help grip (& it does).

These shoes are a godsend for people with knee & hip arthritis & overweight issues (I am 100 pounds over weight).

I ordered a 1/2 size bigger than my normal shoe however (USA sizes). The Tor Summit runs normal width (most Hoka shoes are narrow in the toebox).

NOTE: I originally had the Hoka Stinson ATR Running Sneaker Shoe, but found the Stinson sole was too tall & unstable. In addition, as I go down some steep hills (without a trail), I found the Stinson sole did not "dig" into the earth when walking downhill sideways for grip. The heel's sole was too narrow & did not "flare" out for stability (unlike the Summit Tor or the Salomon XA Pro 3D which do "flare" at the heel sole part). Just a FYI.

HTH

Last edited:
Updating on the mileage on my Hoka Tor Summit boots. I have now put about 500kms of varied but consistently rough and unforgiving terrain under these boots ie salt lake (concrete like surface), gibber plains (outback stone desert), scree trails, local footpaths both bitumen and concrete, soft and wet coastal sand as well as jaunts to the beach, hardened clay tracks and granite cliff faces. Given that I am used to heavier trekking or mountaineering boots, I am really pleased with the grip and cushioning of the Hokas.

They are also wearing well. Here is a photo of the Hoka( on the left )and my Camino Meindls (Island Lady MFS Active, a heavy mountaineering boot but my choice for several reasons) that have about 1700kms beneath them now. I know that there has been a lot of discussion about the mid section of the Hoka not having a vibram sole. I haven't found this an issue and looking at my Meindls, that area hasn't worn anyway.

I'll continue trialling the Hokas - hoping for the season to break so that I can try them out in the mud and wet - and report back again.

Also FYI there is another thread on the Forum about the Hoka boots as well as other trail and running models Hoka One One - Podiatrist Raved.

View attachment 25337

Hi Wokabaut_Meri, have you tested out your Tor Summit shoes in wet/muddy conditions yet?

After lots of research, including your reviews, I have bought a pair of the Tor Summit WP Mids. I tried on the women's size 10 in Paddy Pallin and they fit perfectly yet I knew I needed to size up. Pretty much no store in Aus stocked size 11 so I was stoked to find a pair on ebay. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival from the US. Fingers crossed they are 'the one' for me!

Yes had them out in a few of our recent '1 in 100 year' storms here. They worked well but I did have full length gaiters on too as we were wading in mid-calf water in the flooded stables. Don't forget to wipe the inside of your boots every now and again with a damp cloth as sweat and dirt does effect the waterproofing but be careful not to damage the lining.

We're into our summer now so I was going to say that I won't have a chance to test them further but a thunderstorm has just broken out overhead :eek:

Glad that you found the size boot that you wanted. For us ladies there is also always the option of a man's boot which often have the bonus of being wider as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought the 2nd generation Hoka, the Tor Tech mid, for their increased cushioning and tighter fit (35 mm heel, 31 mm toe). I have been climbing 4000 ft mountains all summer/fall/winter and put this shoe through the wringer. Awesome shoe.

I have two small issues. The outsole is not deep enough for steep and muddy sections. And its waterproofness. The bottom of my socks was wet the other day, Removed the insole and discovered that the eVent insert was not entirely wrapping the base where the insole sits. So, if you stay on a wet trail for any extended period of time water will seap through the bottom.

If you are looking for a 100% waterproof shoes examine the base of the Summit if it has the same issue as the Tor tech. Either case, use of a waterproof socks for those occasional wet days is always an option, as these are minor drawbacks compared to the overall benefits it offers.

Attachments

• insole.jpg
    insole.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I bought the 2nd generation Hoka, the Tor Tech mid, for their increased cushioning and tighter fit (35 mm heel, 31 mm toe). I have been climbing 4000 ft mountains all summer/fall/winter and put this shoe through the wringer. Awesome shoe.

I have two small issues. The outsole is not deep enough for steep and muddy sections. And its waterproofness. The bottom of my socks was wet the other day, Removed the insole and discovered that the eVent insert was not entirely wrapping the base where the insole sits. So, if you stay on a wet trail for any extended period of time water will seap through the bottom.

If you are looking for a 100% waterproof shoes examine the base of the Summit if it has the same issue as the Tor tech. Either case, use of a waterproof socks for those occasional wet days is always an option, as these are minor drawbacks compared to the overall benefits it offers.

That is very interesting, thank you for sharing this! I am still waiting for my Tor Summits to arrive but I will pay attention to this when they do.
I'm not too set on total waterproofing, in the case of waterproofing vs breath ability I am leaning toward caring more for the latter. I'm interested how these shoes feel in both hot dry (sweaty) and wet conditions. I will report back eventually!

Thanks again :)

For us ladies there is also always the option of a man's boot which often have the bonus of being wider as well.
Unfortunately for me the extra width in the men's shoe is not a bonus as I have long but narrow feet. The women's size 11 was just a bit short for me, so I tried a men's size and I couldn't get the laces tight enough to keep my foot from moving around.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.