• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

HOKA warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
Feel so sad... bought my Speedgoats Wide 11 days ago, used them 70 km ca, rough terrain, but they should handle it. Today the entire sole is cracked.. Was so happy, love them, but never, never, never Hoka again! Read so much about bad quality experience. But maybe I should be glad it didn't happen during the Camino. Will return them to the store tomorrow, but now I'm comfused, what to try next.. Don't want to buy from online stores, have to pay tax, shipping and return costs if they don't fit. So, any suggustions, like Saucony, but their latest terrain model is not wide enough for me. Altra not possible, need at least 4mm drop. Definetely not Goretex, most possible breathable. Suggestions available in Skandinavian stores?

Attachments

• Hoka poor quality.jpg
    Hoka poor quality.jpg
    767.2 KB · Views: 14,971
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had no problem with my New Balance... When I walked the Camino (for 32 days) I brought one pair a half size larger than my usual size and one pair a full size larger than my usual size. Both worked great and I couldn't tell the difference. Thanks to a tip from @Anniesantiago I knew to take out the inserts that came with the shoes and replace them with 10 Seconds insoles.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I loved my Hoka One One! Trained about 100 miles on them prior to the Camino Frances and they lasted the entire 500 miles there. The heal was worn down by the end so I gave them the proper burial. I hike with replacement Hokas now - they have been great to me.

Wow, that looks like poor quality control! That's disappointing to see. In my experience with a dozen or so pairs of size 11.5 Wide Hokas including two Speed Goats I've never seen that. I use Hokas (Challenger) on Camino and (Challenger / Speed Goat) trail running here in CO. You should be able to get an exchange or refund, though that would be a huge pain on the Camino, of course.:confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, that looks like poor quality control! That's disappointing to see. In my experience with a dozen or so pairs of size 11.5 Wide Hokas including two Speed Goats I've never seen that. I use Hokas (Challenger) on Camino and (Challenger / Speed Goat) trail running here in CO. You should be able to get an exchange or refund, though that would be a huge pain on the Camino, of course.:confused:
So glad you have that experience! many have, but unfortunately I now read A LOT about bad experiences with Hoka's quality. But maybe I'm getting a little paranoid after this happened today. Yes, get a full refund or exchange in the store, but the question I struggle with is whether I dare to take the chance again, other big brands do not have the same number of negative reviews on the Internet, as far as I can see.

never, never Hoka again!
Perhaps this is an extreme reaction. Return them to the store to see if they will replace them, and maybe you'll have a better experience.

I have happily used 5 or 6 pairs of a New Balance shoe, and part of the sole peeled off one pair quite early, but I haven't abandoned the brand (or the model) because of it.

Altra not possible, need at least 4mm drop. Definetely not Goretex, most possible breathable. Suggestions available in Skandinavian stores?
I walked both my Caminos with a Inov-8 Roclite G 290 which a) held up nicely and b) has 4mm drop. But it seems they are discontinued. Maybe you can have a look if some clearance is still available where you live, or look at their other shoes (different toebox sizes and drops). But shoes are very personal, might be just as well they don't work for you at all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked both my Caminos with a Inov-8 Roclite G 290 which a) held up nicely and b) has 4mm drop. But it seems they are discontinued. Maybe you can have a look if some clearance is still available where you live, or look at their other shoes (different toebox sizes and drops). But shoes are very personal, might be just as well they don't work for you at all.
Thanks for tip, I can see a few of their models are available, I'll include them in my hunt for replacement. Thats so right its personal, therefore frustrating and timeconsuming to find the right once.

I also had issues with Speedgoats - horrendous blisters, and zero support on descents. Now use La Sportiva Mutants - super grippy, they support and hug the foot and there’s loads of room in the toe box. They also have a built in gaiter on the tongue so small stones stay out the shoe. I highly recommend. Size up.

I also had issues with Speedgoats - horrendous blisters, and zero support on descents. Now use La Sportiva Mutants - super grippy, they support and hug the foot and there’s loads of room in the toe box. They also have a built in gaiter on the tongue so small stones stay out the shoe. I highly recommend. Size up.
Interesting! Had La Sportiva some years ago, but they were goretex, and in hot climate I will have most possible breathable. Do you have a Mutants-model non-gortex, and are they an extra wide model or the ordinary?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting! Had La Sportiva some years ago, but they were goretex, and in hot climate I will have most possible breathable. Do you have a Mutants-model non-gortex, and are they an extra wide model or the usual?
My Mutants are non-Goretex. I took a wide in Speedgoats, the Mutants are wide fitting in my opinion. They look a bit wacky but I guess but nowhere near as wacky as the SGs!

Attachments

• FE25AA6B-6B4D-4A23-A2FA-C222C32738F5.jpeg
    FE25AA6B-6B4D-4A23-A2FA-C222C32738F5.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_9159.jpeg
    IMG_9159.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9160.jpeg
    IMG_9160.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I have the Mutants in non-Goretex (I took a wide in Speedgoats) The Mutants are wide fitting in my opinion. They look a bit wacky but I guess but nowhere near as wacky as the SGs!
Thanks for picture! But it doesn't look like these, the only one I can find available here, and the text doesn't say "wide" https://cornerblaabyen.no/produkt/l...GDr4qAcIESHSwtCFyAfJSz12UtMejtQcaAkayEALw_wcB
It's a national holiday and everything closed today in my country, but my plan is to buy different types tomorrow and walk around in the house, I will include these if they fit! And I think they look cool ;-)

Thanks for picture! But it doesn't look like these, the only one I can find available here, and the text doesn't say "wide" https://cornerblaabyen.no/produkt/l...GDr4qAcIESHSwtCFyAfJSz12UtMejtQcaAkayEALw_wcB
It's a national holiday and everything closed today in my country, but my plan is to buy different types tomorrow and walk around in the house, I will include these if they fit! And I think they look cool ;-)
The ones in your link are the latest model (different pattern but same shoe). Mine are the previous model 👍

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The ones in your link are the latest model (different pattern but same shoe). Mine are the previous model 👍
Ok, I'll ask then, sometimes they have previous too ;-) do you find them more supportive and more solid sole than Speegoat, I think that will be fine, SG not so good on sharp rocks..

Ok, I'll ask then, sometimes they have previous too ;-) do you find them more supportive and more solid sole than Speegoat, I think that will be fine, SG not so good on sharp rocks..
Yes way better support than Speedgoats. Foot doesn’t slide to the front of the shoe on the downhills like they did in the Hokas. The sole is firmer, more like a Salomon sole. Very grippy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
WOW, sounds exactly what I want.. thanks for input. Unfortunately my country in general have a HUGE selection of hiking boots and goretex or similar materials, but trail runners often have to be ordered online. To get my Speedgoats I had to order them from a store in our capitol, they didn't have them where I live. Now I have a few brands to try, hopefully I will get them here or a store can order them for me. A bit stressed for getting the right ones soon, going to participate in a walking race in two weeks..

Feel so sad... bought my Speedgoats Wide 11 days ago, used them 70 km ca, rough terrain, but they should handle it. Today the entire sole is cracked.. Was so happy, love them, but never, never, never Hoka again! Read so much about bad quality experience. But maybe I should be glad it didn't happen during the Camino. Will return them to the store tomorrow, but now I'm comfused, what to try next.. Don't want to buy from online stores, have to pay tax, shipping and return costs if they don't fit. So, any suggustions, like Saucony, but their latest terrain model is not wide enough for me. Altra not possible, need at least 4mm drop. Definetely not Goretex, most possible breathable. Suggestions available in Skandinavian stores?
I am wearing Hoka speedgoats on the Camino Portuguese absolutely love them did 1400kms last year. Best shoesI have ever had the worst shoes I’ve had are new balance. I would take them back there is a fault.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In defense of Hoka. I know a few people my wife included who switched to Hokas and found relief from knee and hip pain when walking. I have two nieces that are nurses in hospitals and they have told me that over 90% of staff wear Hokas. I did a quick check on the REI and Amazon web pages and I found a total of two 4 star ratings about five 5 star ratings and all the rest were 4 1/2 star ratings. That was reviews from many thousands of users.
I did some more research and I think that the majority of people who dislike Hokas (I am just assuming here based on my perfunctory research) are runners.
Here is an article that is indicative of this.
Running a marathon or long distance is as we all know very different than walking on a camino. I always recommend Hokas to people who ask me about the camino. The funny thing is that although I have a pair of Speedgoats that I love I wear Brooks Cascadias on Caminos. I love these also and after about 12,000 kilometers of walking and training for my caminos I have had a total of 5 blisters. 3 came on my first camino and 2 on my second. I have learned how I need to walk and have not had another blister in my last 5 caminos. I think every shoe has some lemons and of course you should take them back. The bottom line is from my experience only of course, Hokas are excellent shoes for hiking and walking a camino. But like we are all a little different we all have different feet.

I have been a Hoka fan since 2016–used the Challengers on all four Caminos, but each year I noticed quality had diminished. The soles help up but the tops were always ripping.
I have been using my latest Hokas ( also Challengers that I purchased last year for this year’s camino that didn’t happen ) on daily hikes with about 150km on them and already the soles are peeling and the tops have ripped. So disappointed. I was about to try Speedgoats, but I’ve been hearing not so good things about them. Like you, I need the 4mm drop and have tried a lift in my Altras, but it wasn’t comfortable.
I wish Hoka would go back to the quality shoes they were known for!
Good luck on your search for replacement!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did you order them online from a reputable company? Are you certain they are truly from Hoka and not “knock-offs”?

Ditched my keen Targhees (sp?) ,bought a pair of plain old Skechers for $40, just a basic tennis shoe, this being my 6th Camino walk, was the best my feet ever felt, no blisters, no sore feet at the end of the day, just wore thin running sox.

Did you order them online from a reputable company? Are you certain they are truly from Hoka and not “knock-offs”?
Yes, I am quite sure! The official Hoka-store in Norway, would never order online unless tried them in real first.

I just completed the Costal way in a pair Hoka Speedgoats and I thought the were were great. If you have a problem with you feet slipping forward in them then try using there heal lock lacing method.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A very experienced camino fiend told me that he only wears a certain type of New Balance Cross Trainers that have an extra thick sole. I forgot the actual name of the show but you can probably ask in a store.

You have me spooked about your HOKA experience. I wore HOKA Speedgoat in a size and a half larger than my usual in 2E wide. They were perfect on my last Camino in the fall. I found that their ample soles were perfect for the many varied walking surfaces especially cobblestones and uneven surfaces. They did not crack but I will say that the tread got pretty chewed up after months of training and a tough Camino walk but I thought that seemed normal. Also, I replaced the original insert fairly soon after walking in them but, in my experience, that seems normal as well. I still wear them around local town walks but am planning on purchasing a new pair of Speedgoats for my upcoming Camino in two weeks. I would love to hear what the HOKA company has to say about the cracking. I would be devastated if that happened on the Camino but I have been a diehard totally satisfied fan of the Speedgoats. Now I don't know what I should do because nothing else that I have seen thrills me as a possible substitute and I plan to buy a new pair of shoes this weekend. I appreciate the comments shared here but, like someone pointed out, purchasing the proper shoes is a very personal and unique process. I also want to add that I am 71 years old and I have knee and back issues and the HOKAs were very forgiving. I wore compression socks and did not get blisters either. I can't imagine changing horses in the middle of a stream now.

Last edited:
You have me spooked about your HOKA experience. I wore HOKA Speedgoat in a size and a half larger than my usual in 2E wide. They were perfect on my last Camino in the fall. I found that their ample soles were perfect for the many varied walking surfaces especially cobblestones and uneven surfaces. They did not crack but I will say that the tread got pretty chewed up after months of training and a tough Camino walk but I thought that seemed normal. Also, I replaced the original insert fairly soon after walking in them but, in my experience, that seems normal as well. I still wear them around local town walks but am planning on purchasing a new pair of Speedgoats for my upcoming Camino in two weeks. I would love to hear what the HOKA company has to say about the cracking. I would be devastated if that happened on the Camino but I have been a diehard totally satisfied fan of the Speedgoats. Now I don't know what I should do because nothing else that I have seen thrills me as a possible substitute and I plan to buy a new pair of shoes this weekend. I appreciate the comments shared here but, like someone pointed out, purchasing the proper shoes are a very personal and unique process. I also want to add that I am 71 years old and I have knee and back issues and the HOKAs were very forgiving. I can't imagine changing horses in the middle of a stream now.
Maybe try Salomon Speedcross?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Topo athletic .

I am so sorry for you. I just walked the CF and 100 km back on the coastal Portuguese to Porto airport. In fact I am waiting for my flight now. I wore Brooks Caldera 6, mens. I have bunions. The hold up very well. The profile is still a little bit visible under the ball of my feet. Only the fabric inside at the heel didn’t hold up to the end but that wasn’t a problem.
Last year on another long camino I wore New Balance Hierro 6, also served well.

The reply above about Topo Shoes is the ticket if you want trail runners.

I've had similar problems with another trail runner from Hoka (the Challenger). BUT DO NOT THROW OUT THE BABY WITH THE BATHWATER. I have use Hoka road running shoes for 500 miles with no issues (Arahi, Gaviota, and Bondi). And usually on a Camino, I use road running shoes. More than enough traction for the dirt roads, and better on all of the concrete and asphalt. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To you Hoka enthusiasts, I wear indoor/asphalt Hokas daily at work/hard surface, actually have my pair lasted for a few years now, absolutely love them, tried SG now for the first time. Simply too scared now to use them for my Camino.
Thanks for all your tips, will try different brands. And, decided to bring my deeply beloved leather boots as a backup to the Camino, extra weight or not.

In my experience, Teva socks and sandals will take you far!

Oops, should have said” Teva sandals and socks!” Anyhow, works beautifully for my feet. Good luck!

Have you tried the men’s version of the Saucony you like? On the advice of several Peregrinas, I switched from women’s Saucony Peregrine to the men’s and found it wider, more comfortable and no change in weight as compared to the women’s.
I also had a bad experience with HOKA, because of the rocker developed horrible Achilles problems. Every foot is different. Buen Camino!

Zappos.com is free shipping on both orders and returns, and the return window is a generous 365 days. I have small feet & rarely buy shoes anywhere else.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
.Have you tried the men’s version of the Saucony you like? On the advice of several Peregrinas, I switched from women’s Saucony Peregrine to the men’s and found it wider, more comfortable and no change in weight as compared to the women’s.
I also had a bad experience with HOKA, because of the rocker developed horrible Achilles problems. Every foot is different. Buen Camino!
Good tip, but I checked it now, they start at 40.5 (8.5), I need 37 (6.5).

Zappos.com is free shipping on both orders and returns, and the return window is a generous 365 days. I have small feet & rarely buy shoes anywhere else.
Thanks for tips, but I dare not, there is far too much fraud with such foreign online shops, and there is always tax and shipping costs no matter what they promote. Believe me, have tried too many times, it unfortunately never works to Scandinavia, maybe Denmark, but never Sweden or Norway.

I wore Anacapa GTX on the English and they're fine (but I'll still switch to Breeze next time for ventilation)

My hiking partner did part of the de la Plata and the Frances from Leon-SdC on a pair of Stinsons and they were toast at 700km. I brought him a brand new pair of Speedgoats and the Vibram was all but gone 300km later.

REI (outdoor store) agreed with him and replaced both pairs without question.

They've done such a great job of eliminating my knee and ankle issues that I don't want to give up on them yet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, will be tested!
Yep. New Balance wide for me. 2nd pair. Awesome. Well over 1000kms for 1st pair. On Camino Portugues now, no problems with wear, blisters or faults. Had Hoka Trail runners before and same thing happened to last 2 pairs just out of warranty. Never again.

I am half way through Camino wearing Hokas. 2 sizes bigger than normal, no problems. Have met people in pieces having to go home but I feel great.

So sorry for your experience…I walked the Camino Primitivo and Camino San Salvador in HOKA Speedgoats and they were great and held up very well.

Also wearing HOKA Bondi’s right now on 700 km PEI Island Walk and so far great as well…my 6th pair of Bondi’s.

So far no slippage in quality for shoes i have bought…hopefully I stay fortunate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just did 300 km with my HOka and loved them. Met also other walkers with the speed goats and did very well. I have had 5 knee surgeries on one knee and the Hoka Bonddi have been comfortable and perfect for my camino. Just one to give another perspective on the shoes. Might have been a poorly made model.

The above link allows a search for the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II, linked here:

It has an integrated rock plate (non-removable) and a 9mm heel to toe drop. In size "wide," it also gives a roomy toe box. (The Goretex version is more expensive, but it has a 12mm heel to toe drop and no rock plate.)

I had been an Altra Timp/Olympus diehard until last year when advancing age, Achilles tendinitis, and a degenerative spinal condition ruled out further use of a zero drop shoe. After first trying the HOKA speedgoat 5, [the soles wore down rapidly], I switched to the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor II (Goretex version), and my back and foot discomfort has disappeared. The "wide" gives a very roomy toe box without the "clown shoe" effect of the Altras. I've never had a more comfortable shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have wide feet & I love my Keen footwear! Once I tried them, I wouldn't buy any other brand. On my 4 pair, have 2 pairs of high cut hikers & one pair of shoe like hikers.

Oh man. My son and I just finished our first Camino journey on 5 May 2023. I wore an Arctyrex lowcut hiking boot. I am so impressed with the way they wore. I have to say a good insole will also make a difference. I opted for Superfeet, my feet were so happy. I hope you find the best shoe that will carry you on your journey.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5168.jpeg
    IMG_5168.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5167.jpeg
    IMG_5167.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
Feel so sad... bought my Speedgoats Wide 11 days ago, used them 70 km ca, rough terrain, but they should handle it. Today the entire sole is cracked.. Was so happy, love them, but never, never, never Hoka again! Read so much about bad quality experience. But maybe I should be glad it didn't happen during the Camino. Will return them to the store tomorrow, but now I'm comfused, what to try next.. Don't want to buy from online stores, have to pay tax, shipping and return costs if they don't fit. So, any suggustions, like Saucony, but their latest terrain model is not wide enough for me. Altra not possible, need at least 4mm drop. Definetely not Goretex, most possible breathable. Suggestions available in Scandinavian stores?
Have you considered whether this particular pair was defective? We have worn Speedgoats for the Norte, and for the Salvador and Primitivo. (I wore DirtyGirls gaiters in addition for that one.) We have been very happy with our Speedgoats.
BC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked both the Camino Frances and Portuguese in 2022 with the Hoka Speedgoat 4 and had no problems with the shoe durability or blisters/feet problems. Not even a hot spot.

Curious, as I'm thinking of sandals. Do you think they give enough support?
In my experience, sandals are fantastic! I wear open-toed Teva sandals with socks and only occasionally pick up a stone. My feet stay cool and if it rains, I don’t have boots to dry. Your ankles and feet get stronger wearing sandals.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've been training in Merrel Antora's and LOVE them so far. The combinition of breathability, cushion and support is perfect. I start June 6th in Oveida, so the big test is yet to come. The Merrel Moabs are wider. Both ha ve Vibram soles, which I believe is like a gold standard in soles -great traction and durability. (https://www.merrell.com/US/en/antor...&prefn2=surface&prefv2=MODERATE TRAIL&start=1)

Here is (hopefully) the end of my crisis-hoka-story (if anyone is interested and not just tired of me and my complaining). Spent hours in all the sports shops tried all (almost) brands suggested here and by others. Bought 3 different pairs (plan to return the ones that don't win), wandered around the house endlessly (and gave my teen sons good laughs), grumpy and not happy.

Well, dear Hoka, you have hurt me deeply with the one that let me down, (but I should have seen the twin didn't). I have been angry, disappointed and sad. But now, after reconcidered, I choose to trust what the lady in the shop said (and some on a certain forum), mistakes CAN happen in production, and if it happens again - money back again! So, my dear, in view of our years of happy marriage in other varieties, I have decided to take you back. I know you will support me again, my ankles, my knees, my toes, my hips, my joy in walking, my heart. So, together we will walk softly into the sunset again. You are so valuable in my life that I can tolerate mistakes, and if you can't stand the distance, I can always get a new pair in September.

But be aware, if it happens again there will be MORE angry posts on the web!

Thanks for all your input and tips all of you experienced wonderful walkers!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Brooks Ghost wide. Get a size larger than you measure

Also thanks for sandal tips, I will use my sandals if there is asphalt, the knobs under speedgoat will not handle it, hoka was honest about that!

Thanks for all your input and tips all of you experienced wonderful walkers!
Only seeing this now.
I wear Keens, very happy with them.
But since I was curious I searched the Mutants and found this website with lots of really thorough shoe reviews, many brands and models. Hoping those Hokas don't let you down again, @KariannNor, but here's a link for future reference:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Only seeing this now.
But since I was curious I searched the Mutants and found this website with lots of really thorough shoe reviews, many brands and models. Hoping those Hokas don't let you down again, @KariannNor, but here's a link for future reference:
Only seeing this now.
Thanks, useful absolutely. Part of my "problem" is that the total of our population is like a small street in other countries, so the selection is very bad.. I've been hunting La Sportiva all day, found ONE pair big-man-size, and of course goretex... Also problem online shops costs lots of tax, shipping etc.. but walk into any shop here, find houndres of types hiking boots, goretex etc..

Salomon have some great shoes. I used GTX mirrors on my last Camino. They were great I always have a pair.

I’ve got to say I loved my Hoka Challengers… so comfy, quick-drying after rain and not one blister during the entire Frances. Very happy with them!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Brooks Ghost bred. Få en størrelse større enn du måler

You have me spooked about your HOKA experience. I wore HOKA Speedgoat in a size and a half larger than my usual in 2E wide. They were perfect on my last Camino in the fall. I found that their ample soles were perfect for the many varied walking surfaces especially cobblestones and uneven surfaces. They did not crack but I will say that the tread got pretty chewed up after months of training and a tough Camino walk but I thought that seemed normal. Also, I replaced the original insert fairly soon after walking in them but, in my experience, that seems normal as well. I still wear them around local town walks but am planning on purchasing a new pair of Speedgoats for my upcoming Camino in two weeks. I would love to hear what the HOKA company has to say about the cracking. I would be devastated if that happened on the Camino but I have been a diehard totally satisfied fan of the Speedgoats. Now I don't know what I should do because nothing else that I have seen thrills me as a possible substitute and I plan to buy a new pair of shoes this weekend. I appreciate the comments shared here but, like someone pointed out, purchasing the proper shoes is a very personal and unique process. I also want to add that I am 71 years old and I have knee and back issues and the HOKAs were very forgiving. I wore compression socks and did not get blisters either. I can't imagine changing horses in the middle of a stream now.
Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel insecure. I am completely convinced of Hoka's total superiority for body and legs! And the sole under Speedgoats SHOULD not break. I believe Hoka when they say it was a manufacturing error they have never seen after such a short time, ever! The vast majority have never experienced what I did. No, I don't want to change shoes either, love them, hope they will give you all the best 💕

@KariannNor
Sorry to hear about your Hoke shoe predicaments ,
On personal level , I used Altra Olympus 4 last year (2022) from SJPP to Santiago and
I’m still using them daily walk, around average of 10 kms each day ,overall about 2000 kms on them and still look and feel ok, decent top and bottom , of course some wear and tare on it .
Maybe Altra Olympus 4 is not for you but I swear by it .
Hopefully you will find the right pair for your Camino.
Good Luck
Buen Camino ! 🇨🇦

I just hiked the Camino Portugues on a set of Hoka Mafates and they were excellent. Great grip and support and no blisters. I used a set of Sole insoles with them and the combination served me well. by the end the interior lining had worn through at the heel, but I think that was because of hard pilling on my socks. Otherwise they look brand new. Just my experience.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@KariannNor
Sorry to hear about your Hoke shoe predicaments ,
On personal level , I used Altra Olympus 4 last year (2022) from SJPP to Santiago and
I’m still using them daily walk, around average of 10 kms each day ,overall about 2000 kms on them and still look and feel ok, decent top and bottom , of course some wear and tare on it .
Maybe Altra Olympus 4 is not for you but I swear by it .
Hopefully you will find the right pair for your Camino.
Good Luck
Buen Camino ! 🇨🇦
Thanks, I'm back in the Hoka clan again. Have learned something about feet/shoes over the years, (think orthopedists are reliable sources). So, the good news for you, as far as I've heard and learned, is that zero-drops like your Altra makes ankles and legs very strong and healthy, they really get a challenge when the heel has to work. And the total body really appreciate exactly that when, for all of us, "older days" comes (don't know your age then). So, if I could handle zero drop, I would go for it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm back in the Hoka clan again. Have learned something about feet/shoes over the years, (think orthopedists are reliable sources). So, the good news for you, as far as I've heard and learned, is that zero-drops like your Altra makes ankles and legs very strong and healthy, they really get a challenge when the heel has to work. And the total body really appreciate exactly that when, for all of us, "older days" comes (don't know your age then). So, if I could handle zero drop, I would go for it.
I was 72 years young last year when I walked the Camino . 34 days of walking and 6 days of rest and Camino tourist in Pamplona
Logrono , Burgos , Lyon , Sahagun ( was not necessary ) and Sarria ( also not necessary )
Total of 40 days ,
Small feat
Biggest personal achievement ..
Cheers and Buen Camino to all !
Be safe
Have fun , don’t forget about enjoying every moment , despite the difficulties that will show up from time to time .

We are currently walking the Camino, both of us in our Hoka’s, 400km walked and not one single issue, and experiencing perfect comfort from them. There are plenty of people on the Camino quite happily wearing Hoka’s and we have not heard one single complaint ! Don’t think it reasonable to let one bad example tarnish a brand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are currently walking the Camino, both of us in our Hoka’s, 400km walked and not one single issue, and experiencing perfect comfort from them. There are plenty of people on the Camino quite happily wearing Hoka’s and we have not heard one single complaint ! Don’t think it reasonable to let one bad example tarnish a brand.
Please ask moderator to delete this thread if you feel insolted. I will not myself, as I reckon most people understand a (much) strong expression of emotion when such suddenly happens to new pairs, and we are all just people and emotions (and Hoka has such a huge market so I doubt they would care at all ;-)

I don't know what may be available in Scandinavian stores. I can recommend these twi brands from experience, although I'm sure there are many others equally good in quality and performance. In my opinion, the key is comfort and fit first, durability second.
1. Merrell
2. Salomon

On the Camino I've seen and heard that the following are popular brands:

1. Keen
2. La Sportiva
3. Scarpa

But I've also met people walking the Camino in various types of footwear and brands, including golf shoes, various "standard trainers", military boots, Dr. Martens, leather hill-walking boots, crocs and flip flops!

Curious, as I'm thinking of sandals. Do you think they give enough support?
I've seen several people wearing sandals on the Camino, but they are the type that have a proper walking-shoe sole to them. Unless you have hardened walking feet that can walk day after day for the duration of the Camino, then you'll need a good sole to absorb the hard edges of stones that are almost imposible to avoid walking on. There are all kinds of surfaces on the Camino routes, plus weather factors, let alone the pounding we give them while walking and carrying a pack load of approx. 10% of bodyweight (hopefully less, but definitely not more!). You could also consider using walking poles which can help with stability, take some of the burden off the knees and ankles, especially on the steep and tricky descents.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Love my Brooks Cascadia trail shoes.

I just recently switched from Altras because they were breaking down so quickly. If they are available in the Netherlands I highly recommend Topo Athletic Ultraventure 3. They have a wide toe bed and great cushioning. I added a hiking insert and have been extremely happy wearing them right out of the box and have gone on several long hikes.

Try Altra's. They got me through the Camino Frances :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Take a look at Topo shoes. Comfort and cushion of a Hoka with the roomy toe box of a Altra Lone Peak. Also, it is not a zero drop shoe.
I love the way Topos fit, but ve had 4 pairs and every one of them got a hole on the top.

Altras with a heel lift insert?
Super advice and not just because I was going to suggest it.

If you need at a minimum 4mm drop then padded socks just may get you there and then Altra isn't out of the running. Wedge inserts are incredibly comfortable and a real life saver for those who's achilles can't take the 0 drop. Norda is superior, but expen$ive even for those who can spare no expense. The fit has to be dialed in so unless you can be fitted they could be a bother, although there are shops that carry them in Denmark, Norway, Sweden & Finland (I just checked - I'm not a rep although I sound like one). It's so hard to make recommendations when folks' feet and bodies need different support.

I walked whole 1900 km with
Skechers SK237304 Max Protect Hiking Shoes without a single blister and tey are stil in such a good shape that I am going to use them on my upcoming CF in July. Used to use Mizuno but after trying Skechers I have changed "religion". And I use size and a half larger for long hikes.

Brooks Glycerine. Running shoes designed for high mileage with loads of cushioning. Very durable. Breathable. Did my Camino in great comfort, not a single blister or foot issue. Look no further!

Can you get New Balance where you live? My husband orders these in wide widths. He gets the Fresh Foam trail runners with the Vibram sole. They have worn well on Caminos and other hiking as well as day to day wear.
Here’s why I worry about some of the posts about people’s experiences. There is sometimes a counter opinion. I bought a pair of top model New Balance runners in Washington DC. They had been nominated as top running shoe of the year by a US running magazine( I think it was called Runners World). Within a fortnight the soles had completely collapsed and it was like running on boards. I was back in Australia then so couldn’t return them. A bit later I was in Hobart and a sports store had good special on another top New Balance model so I bought them assuming I couldn’t get two bad apples in a row. The uppers parted company from the soles in less than a fortnight. A friend walked the Frances with a 38 litre Osprey pack. She found the backstraps chafed her skin away and it took some months to fully recover. I have my own gear preferences based on some 50 years plus of bushwalking, running, and ski-touring. I’m not inflicting them on others. But quite often I’ve found that the most expensive gear is not necessarilythe best and sometimes it’s close to the worst.

De Colores

Bogong

Here’s why I worry about some of the posts about people’s experiences. There is sometimes a counter opinion. I bought a pair of top model New Balance runners in Washington DC. They had been nominated as top running shoe of the year by a US running magazine( I think it was called Runners World). Within a fortnight the soles had completely collapsed and it was like running on boards. I was back in Australia then so couldn’t return them. A bit later I was in Hobart and a sports store had good special on another top New Balance model so I bought them assuming I couldn’t get two bad apples in a row. The uppers parted company from the soles in less than a fortnight. A friend walked the Frances with a 38 litre Osprey pack. She found the backstraps chafed her skin away and it took some months to fully recover. I have my own gear preferences based on some 50 years plus of bushwalking, running, and ski-touring. I’m not inflicting them on others. But quite often I’ve found that the most expensive gear is not necessarilythe best and sometimes it’s close to the worst.

De Colores

Bogong
Yes, I agree that personal experience is the best guide, but I know New Balance makes wide widths while many others do not. The OP asked for wide shoe recommendations.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can relate to your experience with Hoka. I too am hugely disappointed with a pair of boots sold to me in 2018 as ‘waterproof’, in Australia. For a couple of reasons, including of course Covid, I didn’t put them to the test of long distance hiking/walking until coming to Europe in March, only using them as ‘about town’ shoes until then. Whilst walking the Le Puy route in France there was not much rain at all, but some very wet long grass with a light rain during the walk. My feet became absolutely soaked. I contacted HOKA Australia and all the did was apologise and tell me that they would forward my observations on to their design team. As luck would have it for me, about 4 days later the owner of the Gite I stayed in had the same pair of HOKA boots as me. Except that she’d bought hers in 2022. Shed’d walked the Portuguese Route and had had no problems at all with water coming in. Why? Because their waterproof shoes are now made with Gortex. I contacted HOKA Australia again and informed them of this and said they must have known their ‘waterproof’ shoes that they sold me in 2018 were indeed faulty, or else why would they have changed to Gortex. Hoka Australia palmed me off then and told me I’d have to go back to the store I bought them from to discuss problems and warranty.
Disgraceful attitude and service from HOKA Australia.
I’m still walking 2 months later on the Camino and enduring soggy feet with the slightest hint of water or rain about.

I just recently switched from Altras because they were breaking down so quickly. If they are available in the Netherlands I highly recommend Topo Athletic Ultraventure 3. They have a wide toe bed and great cushioning. I added a hiking insert and have been extremely happy wearing them right out of the box and have gone on several long hikes.
I have ordered the Topo Ultraventure 3 as well. I am using a Topo running shoe for short distances and mostly on pavement until the trail shoes arrive. I also ordered the shoe gaiters that are available to clip right on the shoes. Did you get the hiking insert to improve the overall cushioning, the stability or for blister prevention? Just curious...

Last edited:
Worst mids i‘ve ever seen and even worst customer service…..

not that the forum isn’t objective but read these reviews on trust pilot…..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have ordered the Topo Ultraventure 3 as well. I am using a Topo running shoe for short distances and mostly on pavement until the trail shoes arrive. I also ordered the shoe gaiters that are available to clip right on the shoes. Did you get the hiking insert to improve the overall cushioning, the stability or for blister prevention? Just curious...

I bought the inserts for arch support and cushioning after a clerk at the store highly recommended them.

Update: my hiking partner took both the blown out Stinsons and the prematurely worn Speedgoats back to REI...they gave him credit for both pairs without hesitation and the clerk added that this is a known issue and they're replacing a lot of trail runners.

He bought Altas instead....still waiting to see how those hold up

My Anacapas are still going strong, but I think I'll replace them with the men's model for the extra width and will get the breeze instead of the goretex model that I have

I have worn HOKAs on both the Frances and the Primitivo and wouldn’t try it without it them! No trouble. Sorry for your experience.
I'm glad to hear that because I just ordered a pair and spent more on shoes than I wanted to - got the new Speedgoats and the company says they have a 30 day trial - if anything goes wrong - they will exchange or refund.

€60,-
Keep in mind that Speedgoats are trail running shoes. All trail running shoes have a far softer sole, meant for dirt trails. The Speedgoats were not intended for use on hard surfaces, like the cobblestones. Unlike hiking shoes/boots, the Speedgoats as well as any trail running shoes do not have a strong shank, the hard material inserted by the manufacturer to maximize foot stability and lessen the shock to your foot on each stride, especially your arches. No, I do not own stock in Hokas, though maybe I should.

People may encounter shoe damage for a variety of reasons. Using the Hokas for a purpose that they were not manufactured for is a big reason. Now some folks may not encounter any concerns hiking the Camino on Hoka Speedgoats. So what other variables might exist?

In order to answer that, let me give you an analogy. My husband and I were mountain biking near the Grand Canyon in the US. The trail was composed of very hard rocks with sharp surfaces. My carbon bike and me are far lighter than my husband on his aluminum bike, with his heavy mountain biking/hydration pack. While I glided over the sharp rocks, my husband (185 lbs) experienced two flats on new tires. His weight, combined with the greater weight if his aluminum bike, and his tendency to have a pack 5-10 lbs heavier than mine all contributed to his tires’ failures.

is it possible that you were carrying a lot in your pack? Water adds considerable weight to a pack as well. In my humble opinion, I have to wonder was it the shoddiness of Hoka, or the misuse and added variables that caused the Hoka sole failure?

Answering your original question, if you still want a trail running shoe, consider New Balance, which are based on a wider foot last than Saucony, Brooks, Addidas, Puma, Nike, etc. NB tend to be heavier than other brands, which may be uncomfortable for some.

Any Skechers trailer shoes. I just complited whole CF with a pair like that and although you can see some wear and tear on the inside, the outside of the shoe and the sole are in perfect condition.
On my 2018 and 2019 CF I used Mizuno tracking shoes. Also great experience but Skechers were better and much cheaper.

I commented earlier in this thread after I did the Portugues. Since then I did my second Camino (Frances) and have nothing but praise for my HOKA Speedgoats (one and one half sizes larger than my normal size). I am 71 and I suffer chronic knee and back pain and had zero problem with my HOKAs nor did I suffer any blisters. I do immediately replace the insoles upon purchase with decent inserts and swap the insoles out alternately during the walk especially if I encountered wet weather. I mostly wear compression socks as well. I sympathize with anyone who had a problem with their footwear but I have a third camino (Portugues) coming up in September and I wouldn't wear anything else but my HOKAs. Admittedly, I purchased a new pair for each Camino. The used pairs are great for long walks at home and still look great. It's just that the tread is wearing down a bit but the Camino will do that to a shoe. Let me add that I found the Speedgoats to be the perfect footwear for walking on cobblestones. Camino gear is a very personal choice and everybody has differences on what is the best for them. Buen Camino

I loved my Hoka One One! Trained about 100 miles on them prior to the Camino Frances and they lasted the entire 500 miles there. The heal was worn down by the end so I gave them the proper burial. I hike with replacement Hokas now - they have been great to me.
same here with the Bondi model

Leather rambling shoes with rubber soles ? If I could get by with lighter footwear, that would be my choice.

I'm an army boots sort of fellow myself, but I would not recommend them to others except for projects like a 1,000K+ winter Camino away from the beaten path. But my ankles give me no choice in the matter ...

That happened with my Hoka Torrents recently @KariannNor. The return processes can be frustrating, so I went to the nearby store and bought a recommended glue to repair them. Good as new, no online return as well. Been walking with them for weeks now. These shoes are very expensive and the shop should take them back. Good luck!

So glad you have that experience! many have, but unfortunately I now read A LOT about bad experiences with Hoka's quality. But maybe I'm getting a little paranoid after this happened today. Yes, get a full refund or exchange in the store, but the question I struggle with is whether I dare to take the chance again, other big brands do not have the same number of negative reviews on the Internet, as far as I can see.
I’ve used the Speedgoats for a few years walking hundreds of miles on Caminos and other trails like the Appalachian Trail. I have never had a problem. I wonder if yours had a defect. I would reach out to the company to see if they stand by their product. They shouldn’t fail after such little use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.