Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hola amigos. I'm back. Camino primitivo in Sept 2018.

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So last year I bailed on the camino because I did the John Muir Trail in Cali.

Well this year, due to some logistics difficulties, I am headed to Spain again. Yay.

I am anxious to reconnect with my friends from the past. And figure out really the best route for me this year. As of now I have a roundtrip flight to madrid in late august returning about 17 days later. Its gonna be a shorter exercise this year, less time off.

I am thinking Madrid to train to Leon to hike San Salvador and then Primitivo, would love to hit Fin. and Mux.. Or could be just the usual Leon to Santiago via Frances and then I am sure the extra days to Mux and Fin.

Or other? Hi friends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Damien, good to see you back here.

From what I can recall, you're a fast walker and you like long daily distances. Salvador + Primitivo sounds like a very good plan. For us mere mortals, it's probably 5 days for the Primitivo and 13 for the Primitivo, but others have done it in much less time. For example, @BeatriceKarjalainen walked the Salvador in 3 days and the Primitivo in 8 days! That would leave you more than enough time to continue walking to the ocean.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I clicked on Beatrice and yah I remember her too. That would be bad ass. San Salvador + Primitivo and fin + mux in 15 days walking. I think cutting out Mux might make that work...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree that the San Salvador and Primitivo would be a great option for you this time since you have recently hiked the beautiful John Muir Trail. My son walked the JMT last year and his photos were outstanding.

When did your son go?
He went in mid August into September 2016. I noticed from your info that you have already walked the Primitivo and San Salvador a few years ago. Unless you prefer to repeat that combo, I recommend you ask @peregrina2000 for a few of her favorite more obscure routes walked. She's done most of them in Spain and is very helpful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh yah I've talked to Laurie quite a few times. Your son beat me by a year otherwise we would have crossed paths.

The last time I walked the Camino I did the VdlP. It was after that I decided to do something else.

Just saying that if the more obscure, less walked Caminos are suggested, I think about what is really important to me. I like to meet the like minded people, less interested in losing myself in oblivion. My Spanish isn't good enough to enjoy real connections with anyone who also isn't on the route.

I would do the Frances every time, because of all the people, if I didn't have every single twist and turn of the trail memorized.

So the San Salvador (three days of oblivion but alpine) + completing Primitivo seems right for me this year. I barely remember it, but remember some fun times with the people I met along The Way that year.

Also, with one less week to travel this year, the logistical exercise from Madrid to Leon is so easy I won't lose a walking day.

Damien

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back