• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Hola from Leon!

caitlin_s

Hi everyone! I´m writing now from Leon, just over half-way through my Camino.
In many ways, the Camino has been exactly what I expected... you know, a *lot* of walking... enjoying the company of other pilgrims (...most of the time)... some lovely albergues and other not-so-lovely ones.... plenty of snoring... etc!
On the other hand, some things I was not expecting. First, being 28, pretty fit, with broken-in boots, a light pack and no history of injuries, I never thought that I would find myself experiencing big knee problems that began when descending Alto de Perdon on the 3rd day, and that haven´t let up since. MUCH to my disappointment, I´ve had to take rest days and even a few buses, which was not something I had envisioned, and was a bit of a blow to my pride! I guess it just goes to show that our bodies all react differently to the walking, and you can´t necessarily predict or control it.
Second, I wasn´t expecting to experience so much friendliness. I´ve had so many other pilgrims, bartenders, hospitaleros etc. that have treated me so well, being amazingly friendly, welcoming and helpful. I don´t know if this is what all pilgrims experience, or if it´s partly related to being a young woman travelling solo, but in any case it´s been really heartwarming!
Third, I was surprised to find myself feeling *really* sick and tired of walking over the stretch from about Carrion de los Condes to here in Leon. I suppose it´s partly the fairly uninsiring landscapes on this stretch as well as the reality of just walking day in, day out, over what I came to realise is actually quite a long period! But we carry on! I´m hoping my walking mojo returns soon.
Along the way, having read the information and advice on this forum has really paid off. I´ve been really happy with my packing - I have everything I need and some luxuries, but nothing that I haven´t used, and carrying it all is very manageable (knee problems aside). I´ve stayed in some beautiful albergues that I wouldn´t have known about otherwise, most notably San Bol (do NOT miss it!) and the cosy and friendly San Saturnino in Ventosa, where I spent an absolutely MAGICAL afternoon and evening. So thanks everyone!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Lovely post - sorry about the knees, that downwards can really do them in can't it :|

Ultreiya!!

Buen Camino :wink:

Hello Caitlin,

From your description it sounds like all is going quite well for you on the Camino in spite of tedious landscape and knee problems.

Perhaps after leaving Leon you might enjoy the peaceful alternative camino route going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. You pick this up seven km out of Leon in the village La Virgen del Camino named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is within a splendid contemporary church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk. Basically a glass box, giant stylized metal sculptures of the Apostles cover the west façade. It, too, is a gem.

From the church cross the main street and follow the alternate arrows. On the alternate it is very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl. At Villar de Mazarife the Tio Pepe private albergue is a nice place to stay. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-tio-pepe Last November I was welcomed there like royalty and had most delicious copious dinner! From there the alternate trail leads towards Hospital de Órbigo and the main CF.

Whichever route you follow I wish you Buen Camino!

Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am in lorca, and will pencil in some of the places mentioned, i will be travelling slower to take care of the feet/knees/back, because being a 56 YO male help and attentiong will not be as forthcoming, but to be fair my chances of being offered help is best on the camino, compared to any other place.

Frank :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e15giz

Congratulations on your persistence.

Trekking poles can reduce the downhill stress on knees, though what you did up to the Alto de Perdon had its effects, too, so that hill was not the only problem. It is tough to see through the exhilaration of beginning the pilgrimage to discover when physical limits are being exceeded. Arriving tired at the top of the Alto hill can result in ankle and knee twists going down that can return to haunt you later.

Ice and rest (and an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen) will be the best treatment. Over-stressing the knee now that it is weak will not help cure it, so I suggest continuing on gently, or even a couple of days of complete rest. I hope the injury is not permanent! A doctor visit when you get home may be a good idea.

Animo! And buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back