• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holding my breath in L.A. !

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Over the last several months and with Europe reopening to Americans for non essential reasons (Tourism) I have been diligently working on my travel plans for my Milan to Rome hike begininng 8/31/2021.
This morning I woke up to media coverage declaring the powers-to-be in Europe met Friday to discuss changing their entry requirements to many from abroad due to increasing Covid numbers. The coverage also read that by tomorrow 8/30/2021 there should be a final resolution to the matter, which would be made public.
Needless to say with about 36 hours before my boarding time I am beginning to become even more concerned and am hoping for the best outcome.
I am sure I am not the only one on this board experiencing this last minute concern, but I am willing to accept whatever the outcome might be for the safety of all parties involved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m scheduled to fly out the 9th and share your concerns. Do know the any EU decision is a guideline and individual countries can modify as they see fit. My hopes are that at most Spain will change entry requirements to require vaccination. Any type of quarantine will present problems for me. Like you I will play the hand I am dealt. Challenging times for all.

best,
frm

Bob, these are European Commission guidelines, not sweeping laws. Each EU country gets to decide whether or not to enforce them.

Rebekah, Thank you I am aware of this, but even so the "Not knowing" what changes might be made at the last minute is nerve wracking. I appreciate your reply though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Over the last several months and with Europe reopening to Americans for non essential reasons (Tourism) I have been diligently working on my travel plans for my Milan to Rome hike begininng 8/31/2021.
This morning I woke up to media coverage declaring the powers-to-be in Europe met Friday to discuss changing their entry requirements to many from abroad due to increasing Covid numbers. The coverage also read that by tomorrow 8/30/2021 there should be a final resolution to the matter, which would be made public.
Needless to say with about 36 hours before my boarding time I am beginning to become even more concerned and am hoping for the best outcome.
I am sure I am not the only one on this board experiencing this last minute concern, but I am willing to accept whatever the outcome might be for the safety of all parties involved.

Gosh!

Bob, I do hope you’re able to board that flight and enjoy a pilgrimage.

Prayerfully, happy trails to you from Crenshaw district.

As to the purported topic of your post, I must confess that I regularly held my breath in LA back in the '80s, but I find its much better now, and I can just breathe normally.

It'll all work out......buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best of luck to all who are planning their Camino tourneys at this point. I changed my flight from tomorrow to September 22 in the hope that some of this uncertainty will be settled by then. Like all of you, I will play the hand I’m dealt but I’m lucky to have some flexibility this year.

I changed my flight from tomorrow to September 22 in the hope that some of this uncertainty will be settled by then. Like all of you, I will play the hand I’m dealt but I’m lucky to have some flexibility this year.
But why would you do that? You could fly tomorrow when there are NO restrictions and you changed the flight to the date when almost certainly there will be restrictions, which maybe even ruin your plans for this year's Camino altogether. It's a game against time now, the sooner you get to Spain, the better...

I was concerned that if they tighten up the restrictions for Americans, and people from the EU are not generally traveling to the US at this point due to restrictions, that my flights would get canceled and I could get stuck there. I’m pretty flexible this year so if I need to I can actually switch to spring. My flights to Spain were canceled twice by the airlines and that was without restrictions on Americans so I’ve had to make several changes already. I can only imagine if the EU tightens up at all what will happen to flights.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As for the flights I have to agree with you. After tomorrow's EU recommendation almost certainly people will start to panic and cancel their flights. And obviously the airlines don't want to fly half empty planes so they will consolidate and move people around from one flight to another. But still I don't think there is a chance you wouldn't be able to go back to the U.S. - maybe just not on the flight which you would prefer.

As for the flights I have to agree with you. After tomorrow's EU recommendation almost certainly people will start to panic and cancel their flights. And obviously the airlines don't want to fly half empty planes so they will consolidate and move people around from one flight to another. But still I don't think there is a chance you wouldn't be able to go back to the U.S. - maybe just not on the flight which you would prefer.
Totally agree that I’m sure I’d get back! This is my first Camino and my first time traveling solo in Europe in many years and a combination of factors just made a short delay seem right for me right now. On a side note, I’ve slightly (or maybe more than slightly!) undertrained so I’m looking forward to the extra training weeks. I’ve done 10-13 miles a day with my pack at 3/4 weight (8 pounds) but not for more than 5 days in a row without a test day so I’ll use the extra time to increase my mileage a bit!

I’m grateful to all the pilgrims sharing their experiences now and so glad to be learning from them!

I leave on Friday from LAX. I am packed and hopeful. Waiting for news today. I'm vaccinated so I am hoping that will be the only restrictions. Right now Spain has not required visitors to be vaccinated. I'm happy to test and show my records. I do new a Covid test for returning to the US. I'm not worried about getting stuck over there, with a clear test I will be able to return. Returning rules lie with the US and there has always been a way to return for citizens.
I hope we cross paths on the way!!! Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am supposed to leave Wednesday, so I am slso holding my breath 🙏🙏🙏.

I leave for Lisbon tomorrow and have been crossing my fingers that no new restrictions are put in place. At this point, I feel pretty confident that it’s a go. Not feeling so confident about my ability to walk 15 miles a day! 🤣 I’ll be training as I go!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are leaving Sunday with COVID tests packed for our return to the US in early October. American Airlines sent info including a Galician form we'll need to enter the province. The Spanish Health app is ready to go with the final part filled in 48 hours before we leave.
If anything, this has taught me to plan "lightly." So much is out of our control and I'm learning to live with a new attitude since COVID has upended our perceptions. And if we are allowed in, all shall be a gift and part of the pilgrim's journey. And frankly, a blocked return to the US may be good for the soul since there are so many angry Americans who don't believe in the common good - :)

Many of us are in same boat. Leaving in two weeks or maybe not for Camino Del Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am currently in the Atlanta Airport on my way to Madrid. Hiking the Via de la Plata for my 65th birthday and to celebrate my 10 year anniversary of hiking the Camino Frances.
Would you please post even very short updates from your walk? Like accommodation, how you cope with hot weather, if you see other pilgrims? Would be highly appreciated! Buen Camino!

Would you please post even very short updates from your walk? Like accommodation, how you cope with hot weather, if you see other pilgrims? Would be highly appreciated! Buen Camino!
Via de la plata is beautiful I did it in 2012. I took many side trips from Camino to visit beautiful cities. Be careful of heavy rains as some part can get flooded. And don’t cross rivers without shoes. Some people cut their feet on broken glass

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are leaving Sunday with COVID tests packed for our return to the US in early October. American Airlines sent info including a Galician form we'll need to enter the province. The Spanish Health app is ready to go with the final part filled in 48 hours before we leave.
If anything, this has taught me to plan "lightly." So much is out of our control and I'm learning to live with a new attitude since COVID has upended our perceptions. And if we are allowed in, all shall be a gift and part of the pilgrim's journey. And frankly, a blocked return to the US may be good for the soul since there are so many angry Americans who don't believe in the common good - :)
What COVID tests did you pack for your return? I am flying in and out of Porto in October and planned to schedule a test to get back to the USA in Porto but if I can take a test with me rather that try to schedule one, that might be easier.

I’m on my way to LAX this morning. I’ll no for sure in a few hours. So far it’s a go!!!!!

I just found out via internet news that the U.S. has been removed (recommended) from the countries allowed to non essentially travel to Europe.
I have now been scouring the internet to check specifically what the Italian guidelines will be since my boarding time is only 19 hours from now.
Has anyone happened to have viewed a site that itemizes the requirements from various countries yet????
Thanks ! (I'll keep checking back)........

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you fill out the app information and then you just wait until 48 hrs before your flight to complete the questionnaire? We leave in October. I downloaded the QR app but wasn't if I can go ahead and fill in the information than 48 hrs. before our flight fill out the questionnaire. Thanks!

From the Spain travel web page, valid for the next few days it says. Looks like US still on the “OK” list for now. www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/Annex_II_risk_countries_and_areas_between_30-08-2021-and-05-09-2021.pdf
That's great news. Unfortunately, we fly out on 9/6 so it looks like it is going to be a last minute update for us. We are fully vaccinated. Maybe we will schedule testing for 48 hours prior just to do everything we can to cover our bases. After that, we will just hope for the best.

@Bob from L.A. !, I sent you a detailed pm a few minutes ago. I see now that a member from Italy, @GPeachy, had already posted the same new information in a thread that is closed for replies. I quote: Here in Italy the newest government decree requires travelers from the US to have a negative COVID-19 test (within 72 hrs) in addition to proof of vaccination. See here. This is a new requirement: Vaccination and test. It was vaccination or test until yesterday.

I sent you a link to this newest Italian decree, in force as of 31 August 2021 and until 25 October, and repeat it here: https://www.esteri.it/mae/resource/doc/2021/08/ordinanza_esteri_28-8.pdf

There is also: https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html which is useful for anyone travelling to Italy.

Last edited:
@Bob from L.A. !, I sent you a detailed pm a few minutes ago. I see now that a member from Italy, @GPeachy, had already posted the same new information in a thread that is closed for replies. I quote: Here in Italy the newest government decree requires travelers from the US to have a negative COVID-19 test (within 72 hrs) in addition to proof of vaccination. See here. This is a new requirement: Vaccination and test. It was vaccination or test until yesterday.

I sent you a link to this newest Italian decree, in force as of 31 August 2021 and until 25 October, and repeat it here: https://www.esteri.it/mae/resource/doc/2021/08/ordinanza_esteri_28-8.pdf

There is also: https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html which is useful for anyone travelling to Italy.

A short time ago I received a text from my carrier (United Airlines) telling me of this update and the need for a negative test in conjunction with my vaccine card. It is 1700Hrs. here and I was just able to book a test around the corner from me at a local clinic for a PRC test at 1830Hrs.......Whewwwww!

I checked with my travel insurance provider and as long as I am in Spain before any purported shut down my insurance covers me for the duration of my entire trip I just need to get over there I fly in one week!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great attitude! People make plans and God laughs. The Buddhist talk alot about our attachment to an outcome is the basis for all suffering in the world. I think they have a great point. For me, my heart is hoping that your plans come through just as you wanted. Buen camino

I just found out via internet news that the U.S. has been removed (recommended) from the countries allowed to non essentially travel to Europe.
I have now been scouring the internet to check specifically what the Italian guidelines will be since my boarding time is only 19 hours from now.
Has anyone happened to have viewed a site that itemizes the requirements from various countries yet????
Thanks ! (I'll keep checking back)........
Bob I had no problems coming in this morning was very easy. Quick look at passport and QR code. Then off i went.

Bob I had no problems coming in this morning was very easy. Quick look at passport and QR code. Then off i went.
@Hammockhanger, you travelled to Spain, @Bob from L.A. ! will travel to Italy. Two different EU countries with very different Covid-19 related entry rules for travellers from the USA. One allows every US traveller to enter without proof of vaccination or proof of negative test, even the non-vaccinated; the other one wants to see both proof of vaccination and negative test from even the vaccinated as of now.

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Hammockhanger, you travelled to Spain, @Bob from L.A. ! will travel to Italy. Two different EU countries with very different Covid-19 related entry rules for travellers from the USA. One allows every US traveller to enter without proof of vaccination or proof of negative test, even the non-vaccinated; the other one wants to see both proof of vaccination and negative test from even the vaccinated as of now.

Buen camino!
Totally forgot he was doing the Italian one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I made it to Milan!!!!
Many others were left behind at the airport because the rules changed during the first leg of their flights here. They were not aware until landing in New York or New Jersey and were not allowed on board. Many had to scramble to find a hotel overnight and then had to go back to the airport in the morning to get tested before rebooking a flight.
I have already had my Covid test papers checked 3 times, my vaccination card twice and my temperature taken 4 times before entering buildings.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I made it to Milan!!!!
Many others were left behind at the airport because the rules changed during the first leg of their flights here. They were not aware until landing in New York or New Jersey and were not allowed on board. Many had to scramble to find a hotel overnight and then had to go back to the airport in the morning to get tested before rebooking a flight.
I have already had my Covid test papers checked 3 times, my vaccination card twice and my temperature taken 4 times before entering buildings.
It sounds like a good precautionary measure to plan to have a PCR test within 72 hours of any international flight, just in case rules change.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations, Bob! So good to hear you arrived in Milan smoothly, although sorry to hear about those passengers left behind when the rules changed mid-trip. May you journey be all you've hoped for. And more.

Spain is now following the EU Recommendation and has put it into their national law: As of midnight on Sunday, September 5 (the night from Sunday to Monday Spanish time), the rules for travellers from the United States to Spain will have changed again.

As a traveller with a completed vaccination program, you will be allowed to enter Spain but you will now have to provide proof of vaccination. I presume that you will see this when you open your SpTH application for the Spanish QR code and enter your vaccination details during the 48 hour period before your flight.

My understanding is that non-vaccinated travellers from the USA are now barred again from non-essential travel (such as a tourism trip) to Spain.
Thank you so much Katharina - I am flying to Madrid on Sept. 27 so will have my vaccination info loaded. I am traveling via Amsterdam/Schipol as a stopover only - does anyone see any issues if I stay in the airport to transfer flights?

Thank you so much Katharina - I am flying to Madrid on Sept. 27 so will have my vaccination info loaded. I am traveling via Amsterdam/Schipol as a stopover only - does anyone see any issues if I stay in the airport to transfer flights?
U may need a <72 hour negative test result like heathrow requires for in airport transit (no customs clear)

€149,-
I am traveling via Amsterdam/Schipol as a stopover only - does anyone see any issues if I stay in the airport to transfer flights?
In my experience, it is quite tricky to figure out the exact conditions for transfer flights when you 1) come from a non-EU country 2) transfer in an EU country and 3) then fly to another EU country.

Your airline will know.
My gut feeling, and what I've seen on the Amsterdam/Schiphol website which is quite good and in English, indicates that there will be no issues if you are fully vaccinated.
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/welcome-back-transfers/

BTW, their latest news from 8 hours ago says:
  • Will you soon be travelling to Schiphol from the United States, Kosovo, Israel, Montenegro or North Macedonia? As of 4 September, you are required to go into quarantine upon your arrival in the Netherlands.
  • As of 6 September, you must also present a negative COVID test result when travelling (back) from one of these countries.
But that is for travellers entering the country at Amsterdam/Schiphol and not for transfers. It indicates, however, that the majority of EU countries follow the newest EU Recommendation. And why shouldn't they? 24 out of the 27 EU countries voted in favour of it last Monday.

Somebody said recently: Keep refreshing the relevant websites until you drive to the airport for your flight. Probably good advice. And ignore what other airports in other countries require - it is of no relevance for your flight.

I am optimistic but I’m watching this with bated breath as I fly Tuesday through / transit Heathrow. Rapid antigen test Sunday at 4 o’clock keeping my fingers crossed that they don’t run out of kits - as it’ll be virtually impossible to get a rapid test on Monday the national holiday. As long as there is not an out right ban for travel to Spain from US my travel insurance will be valid for the duration of my trip

Am getting into a bit of panic mood as I watch conflicting reports ….. leaving Seattle on 13…. Not sure now if I’ll be on my beloved Camino walk celebrating my 73 Birthday!!!

I think you can be assured that if there were any question the airline would not let you board in the first place. They don't want to have to provide free passage back. I'd check with them. My wife is 4 days in to the trip, and everyone so far seems pretty laid back except for mask and social distancing.

Made it to Piacenza today with beautiful weather the entire day. Met several other pilgrims on my similar route. So many nice people bidding you "been camino" as they pass on bike or on foot.
I have also found So many businesses out of business, which has been the impact of Covid according to some "locals " in several bars I stopped in.
On a lighter note Italy is beautiful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Made it to Piacenza today with beautiful weather the entire day.
Ah! Great news Bob. Very pleased it all worked well for your travels from USA . Now ‘ Buon cammino’ ..
Yes- would love to be there.

hoping you’ll get the time to post a few pics! We want to feel like we’re there too.
Is there any way to assure that if I fly to Spain from the US, they will keep me there and not make me go back?
Hi Jill - careful what you wish for … 😉
buen camino.

Annie

Last edited:

And you haven't even made it to the best bits yet!

Once over the Cisa Pass (1040m), Tuscany will take your breath away. Well worth the walk.

Addition: If you are stopping at Berceto before the pass, you might want to try Casa Marty. Great hostess.

Last edited:
Bob - so glad you made it safe and sound. And lovely to hear you are enjoying the walking and exploring Italy - Via Francigena is on my list so please keep us updated as time and journey allow. I am pleased to hear you have met other pilgrims on the route!
Take care - enjoy!

Walked into Fidenza with cool overcast weather most of the day. Stopped by the Via Francigena headquarters and found their staff to be over the top helpful.
Along the way from Fiorenzuola d'Arda much closed due to covid. Still beautiful though.
I "highly" recommend Antica Picenza in Piacenza and Agroturisimo Arte Contadina in Fiorenzuola.
Both had exceptional hosts, very clean accommodations and the food was fantastic!

Yes, I fly out on the 18th and just hope for the best--albeit with concerns. Hope all has gone well for you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back