• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holidays in the region along the CF

P

PANO

I know, this is the camino-forum and my suggestion might be considered blasphemous by some.
Last September I packed my 2013-camino-gear to redo the CF on short notice, starting in Pamplona. The weather was exceptionally hot, climbing up to 40°C and I did not drink enough water.
Shortly before Viana, the heat struck me unconscious and I was forced to abandon the trail. (Even without this, I realised that the repetition –for me– was not a good idea, the déjà-vu was dreadful)

Anyway, I rented a car and explored the country, crossing the Pico’s de Europa down to the north-coast and along to Bilbao; then back to Logroño and by train to Barcelona. Even amongst Europeans, this gem of a region enjoys a somewhat shadowy existence next the glamorous Mediterranean tourist spots.
Admittedly, it was at first a bit strange to cover a ›Peregrino-distance‹ of up to a week, –say from Logroño to Leon in only a leisurely few (air-conditioned) hours. But parting toward the breathtaking mountain-range and the deep-blue lakes offers ample compensation. Descending toward the coast and then along a wild and mostly unspoilt seaside with quaint fisher villages, friendly locals, history and great food made this an unbelievable holiday-experience I surely would have missed without that camino-incident.

The experience is of a totally different kind of course, but I’d like to take up the cudgels on behalf of this great country and commend it as a true, albeit little known touristic jewel offering outstanding value for money.
I recommend this alternative experience to those peregrinos longing to re-visit but fearing repetition or the physical hardship.
And thank you for not condemning my trolling on this valuable site too harshly.:cool::D

IMG_1563.jpeg IMG_1619.jpeg IMG_1571.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
After this Camino we have to decide whether to walk the Salvador - a possibility for 2016 - or to take the car and finally visit some of the places we have had to walk through or have bypassed along the Norte and Primitivo. It is an area well worth visiting, and as we have posted elsewhere it was actually a holiday and car trip to Santiago 20 years ago that set us off on the now fulfilled dream to walk the Camino as pilgrims.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back