• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hollywood coming back to The Camino !

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
I recently read another posting on this site regarding how the movie "The Way" from many years ago triggered such an influx of peregrinos to go to Spain and walk the various Caminos when I came across the following information.

I just read online in "The Hollywood Reporter" that filming is due to start in the next few weeks in northern Spain. According to the media report the story line focus' on a group on teenagers who are walking a camino and suddenly disappear. The story will be told from a "found footage" technique, with images from the trekkers cell phone which is discovered after they go missing.
The media groups who are collaborating on the project are a combined group from both Spain and France with media offices in 60 countries in 4 continents.
I wonder what this might do to the current camino population ???????

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recently read another posting on this site regarding how the movie "The Way" from many years ago triggered such an influx of peregrinos to go to Spain and walk the various Caminos when I came across the following information.

I just read online in "The Hollywood Reporter" that filming is due to start in the next few weeks in northern Spain. According to the media report the story line focus' on a group on teenagers who are walking a camino and suddenly disappear. The story will be told from a "found footage" technique, with images from the trekkers cell phone which is discovered after they go missing.
The media groups who are collaborating on the project are a combined group from both Spain and France with media offices in 60 countries in 4 continents.

“Goodbye yellow brick road”.

Just a clarification (not that it matters)... While hollywoodreporter.com reported the production of this movie, it does not seem to be a "Hollywood" movie. It is being produced by Mediapro, which is a Spanish company. The article says that "the ancient Camino de Santiago route... each year attracts tens of thousands of hikers ." Haha! We know better.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am not a great fan of horror movies anyway. But is the idea of using the Camino for a rehash of The Blair Witch Project any more or less appropriate than using it as the backdrop for a remake of The Wizard of Oz?

Is nothing sacred?
What do you mean? Robbers, hanging, wild animals attacking you, ferrymen trying to drown you, homicide in the Cathedral, meigas (witches) ... isn't that all part and parcel of the background of the centuries old story of making pilgrimage to Santiago?

I'm sometimes looking for articles in Google News to practice my Spanish and recently a story came up about a mythical figure that was described by an Armenian bishop on pilgrimage around 1490 or so. The name of the creature is Vákner, and they are apparently reviving it in the Galician town of Dumbría on the way to Finisterre. Not sure what the creature was supposed to look like, the article compares it to Lobisome which is a Galician version of the werewolf, or the Nordic Fáfnir, a giant in guise of a dragon. The esteemed Antón Pombo is quoted as saying that recuperating this figure is a good thing «para valorizar nuestro patrimonio inmaterial caminero» - to enhance the value of our immaterial Camino patrimony.

Telling horror stories about things happening on the way to Santiago seems to be a really old tradition, why not continue it ... 🤔.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
BTW, interesting to see that the story made it to Hollywood but by the sound of it in other sources, this is a production for the Spanish market or the Spanish language market and like other Spanish Camino productions before, it may never make it into the English language market and most of us may never see it.

No chance of those teenagers in the movie going missing after Sarria! Someone's gonna see the perps kidnapping them for sure! However, if aliens were the perps, well, that's another story - and movie! ;):eek:
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

You are assuming a kidnapping. I have not read that. Perhaps it is kids taking a wrong turn and stumbling on something wondrous and mysterious... Just sayin...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just arrived home from the French. We met a lot if People from Asia. Some of them told that there have been a tv-show about the Camino so now they all wants to walk it 🙄🙄
Any way there were so many pilgrims that almost every body booked ahead 3-4 days. I was very sad, think it’s not the same as just 2 years ago.
And if another movie comes? What will happen then?
Have to find another route without so many “pilgrims”

buen Camino to everybody 👣🎒😎

OTOH, if the disappearance IS something bad, violent, or dark, THAT could help attenuate the future numbers a bit... Unfortunately, it could also give the region a bad reputation.

Stuff happens, and popular culture, including a fictional film, is sometimes taken for fact. There are a lot of ignorant people out there who see something on the screen or computer monitor and presume it MUST be true. Does anyone under 40 even read classic books any more?

Just as "The Way" and other books and films have promoted the Camino in a positive manner, and increased volumes in the past decade or so, so too could a negative film, story or book, serve to reverse that trend. I do not wish for anything bad to happen to anyone, even if portrayed artificially on film.

As much as we all complain about crowding on the Camino, I am certain we would all hate it if some bad rumor story, or film, cause this important historical asset to be rejected.

I strongly disavow violence against humans and animals, even if portrayed fictionally on screen. During my career I saw enough of the evil that man can do. I continue to hold that these depictions serve to desensitize the gullible and naive and only serve to lure those with low integrity, low esteem and undeveloped value systems to commit atrocities against other persons and animals.

For that reason, I maintain that any film depicting anything nefarious, violent or dark along OUR CAMINO (absent historical context), is a net bad thing. I am NOT talking about censorship. I AM referring to being responsible, and eschewing a quick profit for the betterment of mankind.

IMHO, this falls into the category of something that, "...just because you CAN do something, does not necessarily mean you SHOULD do it..."

This all said, how about a Camino-themed remake of the 1954 movie starring Gene Kelly: Brigadoon, or the even older 1949 film starring Bing Crosby: "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court..." where the protagonist group of pilgrims stumbles into a time-warp or fracture in time, and are conveyed temporarily into a parallel medieval society of around 1150 to 1350 AD (+/-), along the Camino...? Now I COULD get behind that idea...

Instead of making a film about the contemporary Camino, how about something like this? It has the elements of alternative reality, fantasy and science fiction that so many crave. It has history. It has romance, or at least lust or even debauchery that many are attracted to. It has adventure... Knights Templar, ladies and lords, peasants and prophets...and all that... HEY, let's make a movie. Hmmm?

Hope this helps the dialog.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just arrived home from the French. We met a lot if People from Asia. Some of them told that there have been a tv-show about the Camino so now they all wants to walk it 🙄🙄
Any way there were so many pilgrims that almost every body booked ahead 3-4 days. I was very sad, think it’s not the same as just 2 years ago.

Try the Oviedo before it gets too busy
Or maybe the San Salvador...great Caminos...even though the Salvidor apparently is getting quiet busy...
Hurry up and get going!!
Best wishes
Annette

Instead of making a film about the contemporary Camino, how about something like this? It has the elements of alternative reality, fantasy and science fiction that so many crave. It has history. It has romance, or at least lust or even debauchery that many are attracted to. It has adventure... Knights Templar, ladies and lords, peasants and prophets...and all that... HEY, let's make a movie. Hmmm?
Sounds like you have never heard of Die Pilgerin, a two-part television movie made for and shown on a major German TV channel in 2014 or so. 14th century, young woman on adventurous pilgrimage to Santiago. I've not seen it, just read about it, I imagine something along the lines of The Pillar of the Earth ... as I said, this new Spanish production may never make it onto the global stage ... the majority of local/national TV productions never do.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi Mette,
How ridicules to create fear for teenagers / parents which could be an uplifting "right of passage" story.
That Asian country is South Korea...they filmed a game show on the french way last year.....and there were heaps of Koreans last May / June having a great time on the Francis.
Do the Portugese from Lisbon..( i walked into Porto today.)...I hardly saw anyone during the day, .but for about 3/4 nights overall there were no restaurants open in the towns...eg last night 8 pilgrims staying at the Grijo Albergue went to bed without dinner. There was even a bar next door that offered sandwiches/ cheese & luncheon ham.
Hmmmm I can't really recommend this Camino as the infrastructure doesn't seem to cater for the few that do it. I'm told it's a bed race from Porto at the moment.....going the central....guess I'll do the coastal...on Saturday.
Love

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are assuming a kidnapping. I have not read that. Perhaps it is kids taking a wrong turn and stumbling on something wondrous and mysterious... Just sayin...
But will Scooby be allowed to stay in refugios? I've no doubt Velma and Daphne will manage well enough but what chance Shaggy will even make it over the Pyrenees?

People, for what kind of target audience are you writing your scripts 😂? Spain's Orange TV promises an "adrenaline-packed, gender-based series" and you will need a subscription to Orange TV and a fast internet connection to watch it.

Last edited:
Yikes 😳

Is nothing sacred?

There’s a wee fantasy just taking shape in my head ... it involves digging out some old greasepaint and some bizarre old costumes, driving around the CF until I find them, and floating around, almost out of sight, in the early dawn light or at dusk ....

Or dressing as clowns and coming out of the trees now and then . . .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

€60,-
Which ones? I’ve created much mirth in France, attempting literal translations of English idioms ...
Is nothing sacred in other languages:
  • German: Ist nichts mehr heilig?
  • Dutch: Is er dan niets meer heilig?
  • French: No idea but Plus rien n’est sacré seems to be comprehensible since it turns up in this sense in news articles in major French media ...
  • Spanish: same as French, no idea but no hay nada sagrado turns up in this sense

Last edited:
How about one where a pilgrim family stays in a village and the son spurns the advances of a local girl? Then she accuses him of theft and he is hanged, then later found to be still hanging, but alive, by his family. Then the local magistrate laughs at them in disbelief and his chicken dinner comes to life on the plate!
Or would that scare away too many pilgrims with sons?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
It wasn't when I walked it in June! I saw just a few other pilgrims in my five days.
Lucky you Trecile

Actually I was referring to the thread "phoning ahead on the Salvidor" ....post no 3
.........an article in a Spanish newspaper re increasing numbers and bed shortages on the San Salvidor....and so far this year to September...over 2000 pilgrims
So......definitely getting busier!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mette,
How ridicules to create fear for teenagers / parents which could be an uplifting "right of passage" story.
That Asian country is South Korea...they filmed a game show on the french way last year.....and there were heaps of Koreans last May / June having a great time on the Francis.
Do the Portugese from Lisbon..( i walked into Porto today.)...I hardly saw anyone during the day, .but for about 3/4 nights overall there were no restaurants open in the towns...eg last night 8 pilgrims staying at the Grijo Albergue went to bed without dinner. There was even a bar next door that offered sandwiches/ cheese & luncheon ham.
Hmmmm I can't really recommend this Camino as the infrastructure doesn't seem to cater for the few that do it. I'm told it's a bed race from Porto at the moment.....going the central....guess I'll do the coastal...on Saturday.
Love
The bar next door is said to have good food. And if sandwiches and vino tinto are on offer, it's dinner. Be grateful for the blessings as they come.

How about one where a pilgrim family stays in a village and the son spurns the advances of a local girl? Then she accuses him of theft and he is hanged, then later found to be still hanging, but alive, by his family. Then the local magistrate laughs at them in disbelief and his chicken dinner comes to life on the plate!
Or would that scare away too many pilgrims with sons?
Sorry, too far fetched - who is going to believe that!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This all said, how about a Camino-themed remake of the 1954 movie starring Gene Kelly: Brigadoon, or the even older 1949 film starring Bing Crosby: "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court..." where the protagonist group of pilgrims stumbles into a time-warp or fracture in time, and are conveyed temporarily into a parallel medieval society of around 1150 to 1350 AD (+/-), along the Camino...? Now I COULD get behind that idea...

[/QUOTE]

YES YES YES! What a marvellous idea! Please spread it around, everybody, let it reach a GOOD screenwriter in search of material!

Hi Mette,
Love
I was certainly busier from Porto a month ago and then when you get to Redondela very busy especially if you want to stay in the municiples, but there are lots of other places to stay.

When you are a pilgrim on the Camino or having just finished a camino discussing the crowds...you are part of the crowds. It’s important to remember that anyone deserves a chance to share this incredible experience. Lamenting how much it’s changed from a couple years ago when you walked in the busiest month astounds me. i guess it’s ok for us to walk the Camino...but not others?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excuse me, I was saying it was busy. I was not lamenting how much it has changed.
Perhaps you are not responding to my post.
Your tone is somewhat rude and implying I said something I did not.

@Lucy Keenan definitely did not reply to your post - you posted a nice comment about it being busy but also noted plenty of places to stay. I'm more lamenting the thought that "I can do it but don't let others know about it" I will walk the Camino again, there will be other pilgrims, and it will a great walk. But I also acknowledge that when I go, I am part of the "crowd"

At least it’s a variation in the well-worn theme!

Seeing “Camino Skies” recently it struck me I could write a synopsis for most of the past movies. Someone faces a personal or family crisis, or mid-life one, decides to walk the Camino to discover themselves/ find an answer, meets up by design or happenstance with a few others seeking the same answers, and off they go. They face physical and emotional challenges, it becomes a feat of endurance, they persist despite their pain, doubts etc and eventually make it. There they find an “answer/enlightenment” but it’s seldom what they were looking for.

When I walked, I met a German pilgrim near Sarria. Around the same age as me( ie around 70).He was still suffering the trauma and horror of walking from Sarria in the
summer holiday season a year or so before. He said there were scores of Spanish people, incredible noise and partying 24 hours a day. A ceaseless Bacchanalian orgy. He was propositioned repeatedly by girls young enough to be his grand-daughters.

I wonder whether a film should be made of this?

De Colores (waving limply)

Bogongu

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

YES YES YES! What a marvellous idea! Please spread it around, everybody, let it reach a GOOD screenwriter in search of material!
[/QUOTE]

Can I have screen credit for the concept...?

A similar 1000 page book has already been written and made into a television mini series..."The Pillars of the Earth". It leaves out sci fi though. I'd like to see it made into an epic movie!

I read an article about this TV mini series that will be shown on Spanish TV in 2020 and they say that there have already been movies or TV productions that used the Camino de Santiago to create "stories of mystery and suspense".

One example is O Apóstolo from 2012 which is some kind of animated horror movie with music by Philip Glass and Geraldine Chaplin as one of the voice actors, and twenty years ago, in 1999, Antena 3 ran a mini series entitled Camino de Santiago in 3 episodes, with international stars such as Anthony Quinn and Charlton Heston and British filmmaker Robert Young as director, with murder and theft as a main element of the narrative, plus the game of the goose board game linked to different locations on the Camino. It had apparently very high viewer rates and there were occasional reruns in later years. Doesn't look like it stopped people from joining the camino population ... ☺.

€46,-
..., in 1999, Antena 3 ran a mini series entitled Camino de Santiago in 3 episodes, with international stars such as Anthony Quinn and Charlton Heston and British filmmaker Robert Young as director, with murder and theft as a main element of the narrative, plus the game of the goose board game linked to different locations on the Camino....

That was actually a great one, with a rather surprising ending!
BC SY

There's a trailer for the new series here: http://blog.orange.es/noticias/prim...ntes-la-primera-serie-de-orange-tv-en-espana/

These caminantes are young! And the story starts on the trail through the Iraty Forest which is the forest before and around Roncesvalles. That area would definitely benefit from fewer pilgrims. Of any age and IMHO 😇. But if you don't have access to the Spanish platform of Orange TV, you won't be able to watch the series.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[a mini series entitled Camino de Santiago in 3 episodes, with international stars such as Anthony Quinn and Charlton Heston] That was actually a great one, with a rather surprising ending!
I think I'm going to watch it. All good for me to practice listening to Spanish ☺. I had never heard of it before! It's been easy to locate it in contrast to O Apostolo which got quite a few prizes apparently but I can find only trailers, there's apparently no way to buy it, rent it as VOD or, as a last resort, watch it on YouTube.

Obvious warning: Don't watch it if you are looking for Camino zen!!!

Last edited:
There are actually quite a few movies involving the Camino de Santiago that I've never heard of. Here is a list of movies (documentaries about an individual pilgrimage are not included), with year, title and director, that I noticed on a Spanish Camino website. I've seen four of them. See also http://xacopedia.com/filmografía_jacobea

2011¿Dónde está la felicidad?Carlos Alberto Rincelli
2010La Sinapsis del CódicePablo Iglesias
2010O ApostoloFernando Cortizo
2009The WayEmilio Estevez
2009Al Final del CaminoRoberto Santiago
2006GisakuBaltasar Pedroza
2006L’Enfant du CheminJean François Castell
2005Saint Jacques ... La MecqueColine Serrau
2005Galatasaray DeporHannes Stöhr
2005Bruder IIIWolfgang Murnberger
2004Tres en el CaminoLaurence Bulting
2004Camino de Santiago: El OrigenJorge Algor
2002Trece CampanadasXavier Villaverde
1999La Rosa de PiedraManuel Palacio
1999Camino de SantiagoRobert Young
1993El Camino de las EstrellasC. Pineiro
1972Flor de SantidadAdolfo Marsillach
1969La Vía LácteaLuis Buñuel
1966El Bordón y la estrellaLeon Klimowsky
1965CotolayJose Antonio Nieves Conde
1965La Dama del AlbaFco. Rocira Veleta
1962El Valle de las EspadasJavier Seto
1959La Casa de la TroyaRafael Gil
1953El Pórtico de la GloriaRafael J. Salvia
1926CompostelaAyuntamiento de Santiago
1915Peregrinaciones CompostelanasArzobipado de Santiago

Last edited:
If anyone finds a way to see those two oldest (or any of the others, for that matter), let us know. How cool would it be to see film of the camino from 1915 and 1926?!

I remembered that moving pictures actually started around WWI, and just checked to see that Hollywood produced its first movie in 1914. So the Arzobispado was a real trailblazer if it made a movie in 1915.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
a rather surprising ending
What surprised me the most at the end is the fact that it very much looks like they were allowed to film inside the Cathedral of Santiago. Because I thought that had never been permitted before The Way ... 😇
if it made a movie in 1915.
I copy-pasted the table. Then I deleted the last three lines because I thought that they must be documentaries. Then I put them back in again because no matter what they are, it is interesting to know about this. Xacopedia has more or less the same list and calls it the más significativas producciones cinematográficas y de televisión de contenido jacobeo desde 1915 hasta 2010.

Huh, Brüder 3, an Austrian movie starring 3 comedians, precedes The Way. Interesting.

That Anthony Quinn miniseries looks interesting. Does anyone know where/how to watch it in the US?

If anyone finds a way to see those two oldest (or any of the others, for that matter), let us know.
Enter this into the YouTube search box: "santiago de compostela" 1915 . You will find the black and white silent documentary of 1915 of a length of about 24 minutes and also a short video with some comments about it. A cinema museum in Portugal was able to restore the copy. It is best viewed on a large screen. I found the beginning fascinating: some views of the city and landscape and apparently a religious procession, or the forming of one, where cows, sheep and carts occasionally pass through. A don't think that there's a single "traditional" pilgrim in it, though ...

El Pórtico de la Gloria, from 1953 and the third oldest in the list, is actually a movie with a proper story, apparently typical for the time, and there are some clips on YouTube with scenes that appear to take place, it seems, in the crypt in front of the Apostle's reliquary.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Brüder III - Auf dem Jakobsweg, from 2006, has the familiar fictional narrative of pilgrims experiencing walking to Santiago, dealing with painful events of their past and how it changes them for the better. Echoes of Saint-Jacques La Mecque of 2005 and The Way that followed in 2010.

I enjoyed Brüder III but found it sometimes difficult to understand as the protagonists speak Austrian German. Watching this movie may drive people nuts because the scenes take place in locations that are not at all in geographical order, including impressive images of a near empty Portomarín reservoir where they walk far along the lake to what's left of one of the usually submerged villages.

The full movie is on YouTube. I usually try to pay my small obolus that is due for watching movies online but geo-restrictions and similar hurdles make it often impossible or at least very cumbersome.

Last edited:
They are casting for an Amazon series about the Camino in Burgos on 16 December
Someone pointed out on Facebook that Amazon will merely be the international distributor of "Three caminos/Tres caminos". The actual Spanish production company has just received a grant of €1.5 million from the Galician government (Emilio Estevez also got a substantial grant from the Xunta, btw), after beating four other competitors whose proposals had also been successful during the preselection process and who had shared a government grant of €75,000 to help finance their pre-production work.

Here's some background information, including the movie concepts of the proposals that didn't make the cut. Which doesn't mean that they will never see the light of day, though ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back