• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Door open in "Year of Mercy"?

Fritz

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP- Muxia (2013)
Frances San Sebastian-Bilbao-Belarado-SDC (2016)
Frances SJPDP(2020)
Hi all, maybe you can help. During the proclaimed Jubilee year of Mercy, the Pope will open the Holy Door in Rome and some of the other Holy Doors around the world will also be open.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1501953.htm

Has there been any news of the Holy Door in Santiago being open during this upcoming year of Mercy? (December 6 2015 - November 20, 2016) Normally I think it is only opened in the traditional Holy Years. Thanks for your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi hi Fritz,

I've been looking for an answer to this for a while without success. The Holy Father has asked for all four of the holy doors in Rome to be opened. And has asked for churches throughout the world to welcome everyone into the church.

Outside of Rome there are only three other holy doors. Quebec , Ars and Santiago.

Surely the door in Santiago will be opened

I think today's letter from Pope Francis would settle the question:

"To experience and obtain the Indulgence, the faithful are called to make a brief pilgrimage to the Holy Door, open in every Cathedral or in the churches designated by the Diocesan Bishop, and in the four Papal Basilicas in Rome, as a sign of the deep desire for true conversion. Likewise, I dispose that the Indulgence may be obtained in the Shrines in which the Door of Mercy is open and in the churches which traditionally are identified as Jubilee Churches."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not sure it does answer my question. Has the Dean said that the Porta do Perdon will
be broken down and opened ? Great news if he has.

The Holy Father seems to be asking for this, but I don't see an unequivocal response
being given. Having spoken to guides in Santiago this April I know that Holy Years,
however welcomed by pilgrims, bring great logistical problems to the people of Galicia.
Maybe this is holding back an announcement from the Dean ?

I would think that: "Likewise, I dispose that the Indulgence may be obtained in the Shrines in which the Door of Mercy is open and in the churches which traditionally are identified as Jubilee Churches" would settle it, but time will tell. Keep in mind, the letter came out today.

Thanks for the update. I'm eager to hear more. The logistics of this must be amazing. In Rome, they have established a "reservation site" for pilgrims making the journey to the Holy Door(s) there. http://www.im.va/content/gdm/en/news/evidenza/2015-08-20-pcpne.html

My original interest was in exploring a possible Rome->Santiago walk or a Santiago->Rome walk. Originally I was looking at Winter, and my son is now getting married in Spring, so I have moved my travel dates some. But for great reason! I appreciate this forum and it's members! Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any details on research into a Rome-Santiago or reverse pilgrimage would be a great topic for a new thread.
I am certain there would be much interest in the topic.

I'll go open one and share what I've learned so far -- and I'm sure many others have more experience and details that can help others.

I'll go open one and share what I've learned so far -- and I'm sure many others have more experience and details that can help others.

Great idea. What an amazing pilgrimage that would/will be. Thanks for sharing the information on Rome. Interesting!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, maybe you can help. During the proclaimed Jubilee year of Mercy, the Pope will open the Holy Door in Rome and some of the other Holy Doors around the world will also be open.

Has there been any news of the Holy Door in Santiago being open during this upcoming year of Mercy? (December 6 2015 - November 20, 2016) Normally I think it is only opened in the traditional Holy Years. Thanks for your help.

Hi - in reply to your question about the Holy Door in S de C Cathedral - I've just seen the following site -

http://internationalcaminoassociation.com/holy-door-of-santiagos-cathedral-to-be-open-in-2016/

Hope it's correct.
Sheena

Thank you very much!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all, the last I heard was that the door opens on the 13th of December next.
Hope this is correct.
Wish you all well, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a blue tarp and cherry picker at the door now. December 13th is the day of opening ceremonies.

Attachments

• Carta_Pastoral_Misericordia_JulianBarrio.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 15

Hi - I'd posted this link earlier as a reply to someone else querying The Holy Door in Santiago - hope it's of help to you.
Kind regards.
Sheena

http://internationalcaminoassociation.com/holy-door-of-santiagos-cathedral-to-be-open-in-2016/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Archbishop of Santiago will open the Holy Door at the Cathedral of Santiago at 5pm next Sunday 13 December.

The Cathedral authorities have been at pains to point out that this is in solidarity with what the Pope in Rome has requested but is not a Jacobean Jubilee Year in the usual sense.

There is much talk in Santiago that since there seems to be no publicity for this special year and no great awareness of it then perhaps there will be no significant increase in the number of pilgrims. We'll soon see!

The Archbishop of Santiago will open the Holy Door at the Cathedral of Santiago at 5pm next Sunday 13 December. The Cathedral authorities have been at pains to point out that this is in solidarity with what the Pope in Rome has requested but is not a Jacobean Jubilee Year in the usual sense. There is much talk in Santiago that since there seems to be no publicity for this special year and no great awareness of it then perhaps there will be no significant increase in the number of pilgrims. We'll soon see!

Hola Johnnie: Or at least there would have been "no great awareness" without this great forum. NOW all will know - still it will be good practice for the providers of accommodation/food/wine etc for 2021.:)
cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola San Miguel II!

Well, not for the first time I may be completely wrong about this but last time I looked, I think last year, the total number of pilgrims receiving Compostelas from the most obvious English speaking countries was about 30,000 of the overall total. It seems to me that in a Holy Year the greatest increase is amongst Spanish pilgrims certainly those who arrive by bus from all over the country. There is a huge publicity campaign in advance of Holy Years with extravagant claims by the Town Hall for 2010 that 12 million "pilgrims" visited the city.

For this year which is actually happening for purely religious reasons rather than a combination of tradition because the Feast falls on a Sunday and to boost tourism I can't foresee an exponential growth in pilgrim numbers on the routes. But I won't offer to eat my top hat if that happens!

Saludos

John

In they go:

readImage.asp

Prayer of the Jubilee

Lord Jesus Christ,

you have taught us to be merciful like the heavenly Father, and have told us that whoever sees you sees Him. Show us your face and we will be saved.

Your loving gaze freed Zacchaeus and Matthew from being enslaved by money; the adulteress and Magdalene from seeking happiness only in created things; made Peter weep after his betrayal, and assured Paradise to the repentant thief. Let us hear, as if addressed to each one of us, the words that you spoke to the Samaritan woman: “If you knew the gift of God!”

You are the visible face of the invisible Father, of the God who manifests his power above all by forgiveness and mercy: let the Church be your visible face in the world, its Lord risen and glorified.
You willed that your ministers would also be clothed in weakness in order that they may feel compassion for those in ignorance and error: let everyone who approaches them feel sought after, loved, and forgiven by God.

Send your Spirit and consecrate every one of us with its anointing, so that the Jubilee of Mercy may be a year of grace from the Lord, and that your Church, with renewed enthusiasm, may bring good news to the poor, proclaim liberty to captives and the oppressed, and restore sight to the blind.

We ask this of you, Lord Jesus, through the intercession of Mary, Mother of Mercy, you who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit for ever and ever.
Amen.

Pope FRANCIS

:)

http://en.lourdes-france.org/deepen/fundamental-texts/pastoral-theme-2016

http://www.iubilaeummisericordiae.va/content/gdm/en.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also enjoyed the hymn that has been written for the Jubilee year celebrations.
The constant repetition of the simple phrase Misericordes sicut Pater was easily
picked up by all of us at the Mass of the Immaculate Conception. My informal
group consisted of Italians, Americans, Mexicans, Polish and a group of Vietnamese
Sisters. We were very quickly all singing together, albeit that the two Italian girls
thought that their father and myself would be better of not singing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes all are welcome to pass through the Holy Doors. Papa Francis has called for the Jubilee so that all
have an opportunity to experience the great mercy of God. Although walking through one of the many
Holy Doors is only a small part of any pilgrimage, it does feel significant. I guess it's an outward sign
of an internal journey.

For me it brings to mind Holman Hunt's painting The light of the World. "Behold, I stand at the door
and knock; if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him
and he with Me"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I saw this sign today outside a church in a very sunny Coimbra... I never spotted any pilgrims though

coimbra.jpg

As a follow up -- my plans have changed several times (which is half the fun, right?) And my Camino is now shorter and later in the year. Rome - Santiago is now off for this year, but all is good for a Camino Frances this fall. Can anyone confirm the closing date for the Holy door this year? In Rome they close November 20, but some may close the week prior, on the 13th. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back