• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week and food

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I noticed today that several grocery stores are closing at 3pm on Thursday and not opening again until Saturday morning (Holy Thursday and Good Friday). I got my rations for today and tomorrow morning but I’m more than a little concerned that nothing is going to be open when I get to my Albergue on Good Friday. What do you all suggest who have been on the Camino at the end of Holy Week?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Eve Alexandra (wonderful name - same as my real Sunday name!!!, only minus the Eve) - I love how you are adapting each day to the unfolding challenges. It is now past the time for the supermarkets to have closed. So, you are ok till the morning. What have you arranged for your lodging tomorrow? Is a meal included? I am just not sure about bars, and my guiding light is not available this minute for me to ask her. It might be that you will have to fast a little bit... so make sure to get all the protein you have already learned is valuable, at breakfast time. And water, water and more water. I am assured that Saturday all will be open. Hotels, and pensions that offer meals, they should also be ok. Keep a firm hold on the staples you have stashed away for emergencies.

Yeah I’m good through Good Friday lunch. And I did book the whole Holy Week and am confirming so I don’t lose a bed. It’s just dinner I am thinking about. If I have to fast, so be it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah I’m good through Good Friday lunch. And I did book the whole Holy Week and am confirming so I don’t lose a bed. It’s just dinner I am thinking about. If I have to fast, so be it.
Cheese, yogurt, banana if that suits you, dried fruits, nuts. I know it is not the same. You are reminding me to take the fish from the freezer. Traditional for tomorrow! Buen camino, and I look forward to following you all the way along...

@Eve Alexandra, are you asking about open grocery shops or open restaurants on Good Friday? Shops will obviously be closed as it is a national public holiday in Spain. We were in Burgos one year on Good Friday, I don't recall that restaurants were closed. The city was teaming with visitors. I also read just now that Good Friday is the most popular day of Holy Week for online bookings of restaurants and that bookings are way higher this year than (obviously) in 2021.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In recent years many of the spanish gas stations have added small mini supermarkets inside. They are open on holidays… not sure if you pass any of those, or if they have everything you need… but..

Buen camino!
I will keep my eye out. They usually have nuts at least. Thanks!

@Eve Alexandra, are you asking about open grocery shops or open restaurants on Good Friday? Shops will obviously be closed as it is a national public holiday in Spain. We were in Burgos one year on Good Friday, I don't recall that restaurants were closed. The city was teaming with visitors. I also read just now that Good Friday is the most popular day of Holy Week for online bookings of restaurants and that bookings are way higher this year than (obviously) in 2021.
Oh wow! I figured if shops were closed, then restaurants would also be closed. Especially since it’s a fasting day as well. Maybe dinner won’t be so hard to find after all!

In recent years many of the spanish gas stations have added small mini supermarkets inside. They are open on holidays… not sure if you pass any of those, or if they have everything you need… but..
Eve, you might not need to resort to this on the Camino Frances. However, one Easter Sunday on the VDLP in Alija del Infantado, even the gas station was running low on supplies. That one didn't have a grocery section - just some packaged snacks at the ubiquitous bar. My dinner was barbeque-flavoured peanuts and a Magnum ice cream, paired with the worst red wine I have ever had in Spain. Or maybe it was the pairing that was wrong 🤑. When I returned to the albergue I had the ramen noodles from my backpack, for dessert.

I still enjoy the memory, but I always carry a good supply of unflavoured nuts and a pack of noodles!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
- just some packaged snacks at the ubiquitous bar. My dinner was barbeque-flavoured peanuts and a Magnum ice cream, paired with the worst red wine I have ever had in Spain. Or maybe it was the pairing that was wrong
I wonder what the proper wine pairing is for barbecue flavor peanuts and a Magnum ice cream bar?😄

The only time I've been in that situation on the Camino was in France, and whilst Easter Monday was a bit difficult, my understanding is that in Spain, restaurant solutions at least are available, locally that is.

Just in case anyone is wondering, yes the grocery stores are closed, but every single bar was open, overflowing and it was a literal Good Friday party out there last night. 😆

My hostel host for breakfast says that everything will be open for holy Saturday and bars tonight too. But then he said “you’re in La Rioja. If you were in Castile Y Leon it might be quieter.”

He said to expect everything closed for Sunday and Monday but maybe a grocery store open on Monday.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just in case anyone is wondering, yes the grocery stores are closed, but every single bar was open, overflowing and it was a literal Good Friday party out there last night. 😆
Glad you discovered that! No less than I thought would be the case! They have a wide approach to Good Friday and other days that are/ can be treated with strict discipline in colder climes!

Which obviously will depend on whether you are in La Rioja on Monday or in the neighbouring region. Monday 18 April 2022 is not a public holiday in Castilla y Leon. ☺️
So if I’m over the border into Castillo Y Leon I’ll likely find an open grocery store?

Me: checks to see what region I’ll be in tomorrow…😆

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So if I’m over the border into Castilla Y Leon I’ll likely find an open grocery store?
Me: checks to see what region I’ll be in tomorrow…😆
I think you'll notice 😆. If memory does not fail me, there is a big sign where the Camino Frances crosses the regional border.

Next to watch out for are Monday 2 May 2022 and even Saturday 23 April 2022. Both of them can be public holidays where you will be so ask the local locals.

Even Spanish people are sometimes not well informed about the dates of the regional holidays in other regions than their own region.

At Easter, bars that actually are permanently closed sometimes open because someone has gone back to his grandparents' village for a week and would like to earn some money while he's there. (Happened to us three times so far!) Drinks are available, but food might be limited to peanuts and potato chips...

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back