• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week in Sevilla?

Hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP (2016)
Jesus Trail (Nazareth to Capernaum) 2016
Way of St Francis (Pietralunga to Assisi) 2016
Hi Everybody - I've been stalking these forums for a while now and it's time to jump in with some questions... I'm a first time pilgrim (walking anyway!) wanting to begin the VdlP after Easter 2016 (less than a year away!) I would like to spend Easter in Seville and then set off Monday or Tuesday after Easter Sunday. I'm just a little concerned that the albergues along the way might be really busy? Can anyone advise me? I have loads of other questions too...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm just a little concerned that the albergues along the way might be really busy?
The number of pilgrims increases after the Holy Week, but there have not been reports of a bed shortage. If a town is full, you can take a taxi to someplace nearby. You probably will want reservations in Sevilla. It will have a lot of people in the city for the festivities.

Buen camino.

Fantastic fun - Easter in sevilla. One of my favourite times of year there. The orange trees in blossom, streets crowded with beautifully dressed locals and tourists, and colourful bars brimming each evening. Have fun, Hikoi. It’s a perfect way to start your VdlP and I’m sure you won’t have any worries with albergues at that time of year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Hikoi! Excellent plan. I just did this this year, started on Easter Monday from Sevilla. Definitely book well in advance. Right now is not too soon. I booked 9 months in advance, and got a tiny room in the Santa Cruz neighbourhood, not far from the cathedral. But affordably, which was the key. They did charge the entire amount, no refunds available, to my credit card, a week before I arrived. Seems to be standard policy, as it's so busy then.

There was a problem with albergues filling up, especially when a couple of them were closed for renovations, and no notice on the stage before. (Embalse de Alcantara). I learned to phone ahead. (Got a Mobilstar SIM card, very affordably, service almost everywhere, including very isolated areas.) The camino Sanabrese through Ourense was not nearly so busy, later on, as reported by friends who took that route.

More questions? Fire away! It was tough, and lonely in parts, but well worth doing.

I have tons of photos from my walk on Instragram.com/felixBC, if you have time to scroll back in my timeline.

Hello Hikoi! Excellent plan. I just did this this year, started on Easter Monday from Sevilla. Definitely book well in advance. Right now is not too soon. I booked 9 months in advance, and got a tiny room in the Santa Cruz neighbourhood, not far from the cathedral. But affordably, which was the key. They did charge the entire amount, no refunds available, to my credit card, a week before I arrived. Seems to be standard policy, as it's so busy then.

There was a problem with albergues filling up, especially when a couple of them were closed for renovations, and no notice on the stage before. (Embalse de Alcantara). I learned to phone ahead. (Got a Mobilstar SIM card, very affordably, service almost everywhere, including very isolated areas.) The camino Sanabrese through Ourense was not nearly so busy, later on, as reported by friends who took that route.

More questions? Fire away! It was tough, and lonely in parts, but well worth doing.

I have tons of photos from my walk on Instragram.com/felixBC, if you have time to scroll back in my timeline.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks everyone. Great info. FelixBC - was there much rain when you walked? i.e. were the tracks wet? And did you have waterproof shoe/boots? How cold was it in the albergues? Oh, and can you remember the name of the place you stayed in Santa Cruz, Seville?

It was WONDERFUL to be in Sevilla during Holy Week.
The only thing I'd caution you is to make reservations for Sevilla as soon as you know when you'll arrive.
There are plenty of places you can reserve but they will fill up quite early.

I'm looking at Airbnb for a small apartment for Easter week - centre of the city and near where the processions take place. Any recommendations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Felix!
Do you know if Camino Sanabrese is generally quiet...? Im walking it in a month...
Hello Antonis! I went up to Astorga at the end of the via de la plata, but fellow pilgrims who went via the Sanabrese reported that it was very quiet. Sometimes only 1 or 2 pilgrims in a hostel. That was May.
They also mentioned some days of steep uphill walking, long detours around the AVE construction, and that is was wonderful.

Thanks everyone. Great info. FelixBC - was there much rain when you walked? i.e. were the tracks wet? And did you have waterproof shoe/boots? How cold was it in the albergues? Oh, and can you remember the name of the place you stayed in Santa Cruz, Seville?
Hello! It didn't rain that much, a few days. The albergues were cold. Bring a proper sleeping bag. Even the more upscale hostals didn't want to turn the heat on. Most places have blankets, yes, but the few that didn't were a major problem for me. I sleep cold! Sevilla was hot, but it isn't once you go up into the hills.
I don't remember the hotel, sorry. But I wouldn't choose it again, as it was very tiny. Just big enough for a twin bed, a chair, and a sink. Good enough, but there must be nicer places for not a lot more. Santa Cruz was great though. Near the processions and the cathedral, but off to one side so one could still navigate without getting trapped by crowds and procession routes.

Thanks for the info Felix. I'm trying to find a suitable sleeping bag (I can't believe how bulky and heavy my old tramping bag is! To think I used to cart that up and down the mountains - in a heavy external frame pack!) What lower temperature do the albergues get down to? Looking on Weather Underground, it seems it can get to zero on a couple of days... Would the albergues be that cold?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the info Felix. I'm trying to find a suitable sleeping bag (I can't believe how bulky and heavy my old tramping bag is! To think I used to cart that up and down the mountains - in a heavy external frame pack!) What lower temperature do the albergues get down to? Looking on Weather Underground, it seems it can get to zero on a couple of days... Would the albergues be that cold?
I don't know what temperature the albergues got down to, not freezing, certainly. But a night in a damp, cold room with no blanket and a too thin bag can be horrid, making the next day even tougher. There's some good down sleeping bags out there, very light. I wish I'd had one with me.

Ok - light(ish) sleeping bag purchased - rated 5Âş - 0Âş - -15Âş

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back