• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week in Seville

Ariel Mallett

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hi all,

I just bought my ticket and will be arriving in Madrid on March 30th, 2015 (so exciting!). I plan to spend the majority of Holy Week in Seville then return to Madrid before making my way to Irun to walk the Camino Del Norte. Will any other pilgrims be around during the week? Anybody have travel suggestions for getting from Madrid to Seville and Madrid to Irun?

Thanks!
Ariel

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ariel-- I have taken the high speed train (AVE= Alta Velocidad) Madrid to Seville from Estacion Atocha as well as a much cheaper option, the bus. The only advantage of the train is the time savings. I actually enjoyed the bus ride more. BTW, if you have not already made hotel reservations in Seville for Holy Week, you are already very late :( . Holy Week in Seville is an extraordinary experience, but it is very, very, very crowded and all the lodging, food, etc, prices go up. So, just be prepared. My favorite places to stay in Seville is La Casa de las Juderias and Hosteria del Laurel. This last place is the house where Jose Zorrilla wrote "Don Juan Tenorio" (the food is fantastic as well!). They are both located on Barrio Santa Cruz, walking distance to the Cathedral. Try to stay in this neighborhood, if you can. One of my favorite online resources to research transportation options which I have used for years is rome2rio.com. Give it a try.

Hello! I'll be in Seville for Holy Week, before setting out on the via de la plata. I booked a room already. I keep hearing how insanely busy it is, but I need to see it...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello to, my wife and I will be in Sevilla from 30 mars till 8 april then i will start my camino to Santiago. Room is booked in the centre. My wife returns 8 april by plane to Amsterdam. Greetings Ger

Hello! I haven't booked a room but planned to stay with people on Couchsurfing.org. Do you know how/if public transport will be affected at all by the festivities? I would like to travel to Irun on Saturday before Easter so I can start my Camino on Easter itself. Any ideas?

Hello! I haven't booked a room but planned to stay with people on Couchsurfing.org. Do you know how/if public transport will be affected at all by the festivities? I would like to travel to Irun on Saturday before Easter so I can start my Camino on Easter itself. Any ideas?
Hi Ariel,
If you book in advane you should be able to get transport out of Sevilla but be warned that many locals vacate the city during Easter and transport is at a premium. Also, getting a couchsurfing spot may also be difficult if you haven’t already organised something. If the weather is fine, the population of Sevilla more than doubles during this time but it is magic. Try to learn as much about the festivities as you can before you get there. It helps to understand how the ‘pasos’ work.
If you are lucky be there when the orange trees are in blossom, it will be a sensory memory that will stay with you forever.
I’m a little jealous of your experience (I used to live in Sevilla). Enjoy the pretty city, friendly people and awesome food. Try to stay in the old town (central) if you can.
Cheers, Grace

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The bus is around €22 one-way between Madrid and Seville leaving from the Southen bus station (SUD). There are overnight buses as well as day buses. The train is perhaps three times as much. There are also buses between Madrid and Pamplona (or San Sebastien) which are quite reasonable. About €23 or 1/3 the cost of the train. If you go from Madrid to San Sebastian you can then directly take the Euskotren to Irun (€1.70) or alternatively the bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian (€8) then the Euskotren or simply a more expensive direct bus to Irun. Not sure of cost. Hope this helps. ;-)

Hello! I'll be in Seville for Holy Week, before setting out on the via de la plata. I booked a room already. I keep hearing how insanely busy it is, but I need to see it...
Hi FelixBC I am leaving Seville on April 10th when will you begin?

Hello to, my wife and I will be in Sevilla from 30 mars till 8 april then i will start my camino to Santiago. Room is booked in the centre. My wife returns 8 april by plane to Amsterdam. Greetings Ger
Hello gersvink I arrive in Seville on the 7th of April and will start around the 10th but maybe sooner.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seville during Holy Week is mad crazy fun!
I was there in 2009 for Holy Week.
There are schedules when each church has its parade through the city and each one is different as well as fantastic.
You can find the schedules usually posted on the church doors or just ask the locals in each neighborhood.
Have a wonderful magical time!

Mad crazy fun, eh? Whoa. I've seen footage, heard that you can't cross the street for ages if there's a procession. Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations just did an episode in Andalusia in Holy Week. Mostly Granada, but definitely showing the madness. And the tapas. Wonderful ep. It's on CNN.

Vinsman, I'm in Sevilla for 5 nights, I think, then start the walk Easter Monday, the 6th. Hopefully after mass in the Cathedral. (I've read 8:30am?) I've got hotel accommodations (booked 9 months in advance), but hoping to meet up with other pilgrims.

I was very worried to read about thieves waiting for pilgrims just outside of town, but perhaps that was a one-off, and they've already been apprehended.

Hi all,

I just bought my ticket and will be arriving in Madrid on March 30th, 2015 (so exciting!). I plan to spend the majority of Holy Week in Seville then return to Madrid before making my way to Irun to walk the Camino Del Norte. Will any other pilgrims be around during the week? Anybody have travel suggestions for getting from Madrid to Seville and Madrid to Irun?

Thanks!
Ariel

Dear Ariel,

Why would you walk the Camino del Norte in April...? It is sooooo cold :) I have walked it two times and it is an amazing route, very spectacular coastline and wild nature, but freezing in spring and often very rainy... I wouldn't really recommend it. I would actually walk it in summer and start in Sevilla in April, it is incredibly beautiful. I've walked the Via de la Plata two years ago from Sevilla to Caceres in April and there were flowers everywhere (it smelled so good and I had the feeling that I was hallucinating all the time :)), the weather was perfect and the landscapes overwhelming. I am going to start in Caceres this year in the beginning of April too and finish the route!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm looking for advice on whether it is necessary to book the bus from Madrid to Seville late April?

I have a flight booked arrives 11:10 on 28th April in Madrid but am unsure of travel time or delays in getting from the airport to the bus station?

If I have to book I'm inclined to go for the bus that leaves around 13:00?

Hi all,
I will also starting the Via de la Plata sometime in the last 2 weeks of April. :):)
I haven't yet booked anything but it's possible I will arrive at Madrid airport and take the bus to Seville.
Does anybody have any information on how to get from Madrid airport to the bus which goes to Seville ? (I understand it is the Southen bus station)
Any precisions on the hours the bus leaves ?
Also is it necessary to book a place at the Triana Backpackers ?
And how to get from the bus station in Seville to the Triana Backpackers ?
Has anyone here ever arrived directly at Seville airport ? If so how to get from the airport to the Triana backpackers ?
Sory for so many questions,... I have such a bad spanish language level I'm sort of scared to get lost and no one will understand me. :(
Thanks !

Hi all,
I will also starting the Via de la Plata sometime in the last 2 weeks of April. :):)
I haven't yet booked anything but it's possible I will arrive at Madrid airport and take the bus to Seville.
Does anybody have any information on how to get from Madrid airport to the bus which goes to Seville ? (I understand it is the Southen bus station)
Any precisions on the hours the bus leaves ?
Also is it necessary to book a place at the Triana Backpackers ?
And how to get from the bus station in Seville to the Triana Backpackers ?
Has anyone here ever arrived directly at Seville airport ? If so how to get from the airport to the Triana backpackers ?
Sory for so many questions,... I have such a bad spanish language level I'm sort of scared to get lost and no one will understand me. :(
Thanks !

I can answer SOME of your questions.
http://www.alsa.es/en/ is the website for ALSA buses, Madrid to Seville. You can look for the timetables here, and maybe book a bus.
Yes, you'll need to book at Triana. You can do this through www.booking.com Tell them you are a pilgrim and you will get a discount on your accommodation. There are directions on their site as to how to get there from the bus station - and also from the airport, I think.
Smiles are the universal language. And Seville is a very friendly town.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much "Jamilla's mum" for answering to most of my questions.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back