• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week on the Camino Frances

cardifflad52

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2015 Inglis Way , March 2022 Camino Frances
Just a quick question ..With Easter weekend being on April 15th to April 19th , how far in advance should I make reservations en route or should I go blind .. just that my understanding is not only there be more pilgrims but also a lot more traffic at this busy time cannot give an estimate location but a rough idea is just past Leon ..Thank you .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think for any "holiday" in Spain you should try to make some plans as it won't be just pilgrims who are traveling. Be sure you have money from the bank, book a room, and maybe get a few provisions from the store in case things are closed. If you don't want to reserve, there is a relatively newly remodeled donativo albergue at Villadangos de Parma that is solely for pilgrims. My husband stayed there last year and it was quite nice. They don't take reservations, but sometimes on these holiday weekends you may have better luck with places that don't reserve unless you have already booked something in advance. My husband stayed there last fall and it was very nice and a meal was prepared.

Just a quick question ..With Easter weekend being on April 15th to April 19th , how far in advance should I make reservations en route or should I go blind .. just that my understanding is not only there be more pilgrims but also a lot more traffic at this busy time cannot give an estimate location but a rough idea is just past Leon ..Thank you .
I have read that many Spaniards will choose to walk a portion of the Camino during Holy week, adding to the numbers of pilgrims. If you can make easily cancellable reservations go ahead and do it now if you want.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If I were you, I’d get it booked now especially Friday through Sunday. If you’re in a big town I’d strongly recommend taking a rest day as the Semana Santa procesiones are often worth seeing (the best in Malaga IMHO, which I know isn’t entirely helpful in your case)

I have read that many Spaniards will choose to walk a portion of the Camino during Holy week, adding to the numbers of pilgrims. If you can make easily cancellable reservations go ahead and do it now if you want.
Thank you for that , I have my note book with dates and a rough idea where I am going to be on those days .. maybe booking.com be a good starting point

Thank you for that , I have my note book with dates and a rough idea where I am going to be on those days .. maybe booking.com be a good starting point
Also use Gronze to verify that the places on booking.com are on or close to the Camino.
They list accommodation for each Camino town, with booking links for those that are on booking.com.

The site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English. (if it doesn't happen automatically right click anywhere on the page and choose "translate to English."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also use Gronze to verify that the places on booking.com are on or close to the Camino.
They list accommodation for each Camino town, with booking links for those that are on booking.com.

The site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English. (if it doesn't happen automatically right click anywhere on the page and choose "translate to English."

Thank you for that I was looking at Gronze earlier today , oh I found an alberque in Leon as well as Hospital de Orbigo with a free 72 hour cancellation period on booking.com

Thank you for that I was looking at Gronze earlier today , oh I found an alberque in Leon as well as Hospital de Orbigo with a free 72 hour cancellation period on booking.com
By three days before, you should have a good idea if your planned stop within the distance that you want/can walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By three days before, you should have a good idea if your planned stop within the distance that you want/can walk.
Yes that's true and hopefully I can catch a festival taking place ..

The Monday after Easter is still part of the traditional celebration for many in France and Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back