• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week on the Camino Frances

cardifflad52

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2015 Inglis Way , March 2022 Camino Frances
Just a quick question ..With Easter weekend being on April 15th to April 19th , how far in advance should I make reservations en route or should I go blind .. just that my understanding is not only there be more pilgrims but also a lot more traffic at this busy time cannot give an estimate location but a rough idea is just past Leon ..Thank you .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think for any "holiday" in Spain you should try to make some plans as it won't be just pilgrims who are traveling. Be sure you have money from the bank, book a room, and maybe get a few provisions from the store in case things are closed. If you don't want to reserve, there is a relatively newly remodeled donativo albergue at Villadangos de Parma that is solely for pilgrims. My husband stayed there last year and it was quite nice. They don't take reservations, but sometimes on these holiday weekends you may have better luck with places that don't reserve unless you have already booked something in advance. My husband stayed there last fall and it was very nice and a meal was prepared.

Just a quick question ..With Easter weekend being on April 15th to April 19th , how far in advance should I make reservations en route or should I go blind .. just that my understanding is not only there be more pilgrims but also a lot more traffic at this busy time cannot give an estimate location but a rough idea is just past Leon ..Thank you .
I have read that many Spaniards will choose to walk a portion of the Camino during Holy week, adding to the numbers of pilgrims. If you can make easily cancellable reservations go ahead and do it now if you want.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I were you, I’d get it booked now especially Friday through Sunday. If you’re in a big town I’d strongly recommend taking a rest day as the Semana Santa procesiones are often worth seeing (the best in Malaga IMHO, which I know isn’t entirely helpful in your case)

I have read that many Spaniards will choose to walk a portion of the Camino during Holy week, adding to the numbers of pilgrims. If you can make easily cancellable reservations go ahead and do it now if you want.
Thank you for that , I have my note book with dates and a rough idea where I am going to be on those days .. maybe booking.com be a good starting point

Thank you for that , I have my note book with dates and a rough idea where I am going to be on those days .. maybe booking.com be a good starting point
Also use Gronze to verify that the places on booking.com are on or close to the Camino.
They list accommodation for each Camino town, with booking links for those that are on booking.com.

The site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English. (if it doesn't happen automatically right click anywhere on the page and choose "translate to English."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also use Gronze to verify that the places on booking.com are on or close to the Camino.
They list accommodation for each Camino town, with booking links for those that are on booking.com.

The site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English. (if it doesn't happen automatically right click anywhere on the page and choose "translate to English."

Thank you for that I was looking at Gronze earlier today , oh I found an alberque in Leon as well as Hospital de Orbigo with a free 72 hour cancellation period on booking.com

Thank you for that I was looking at Gronze earlier today , oh I found an alberque in Leon as well as Hospital de Orbigo with a free 72 hour cancellation period on booking.com
By three days before, you should have a good idea if your planned stop within the distance that you want/can walk.

By three days before, you should have a good idea if your planned stop within the distance that you want/can walk.
Yes that's true and hopefully I can catch a festival taking place ..

The Monday after Easter is still part of the traditional celebration for many in France and Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...
I am hiking the Norte and Primitive routes starting May 16, 2024. This will be my first Camino. I have access to the Buen Camino app, Gronze, and a guidebook which are all excellent at providing...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back