• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week on the Norte...where do I want to be on day 20

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Wise ones of the Norte, I wondered if you could help me plan where I might hope to end up for Easter on the Norte. I have David's book and just now starting to go thru it. I feel I know the Frances pretty well to help others BUT the Norte I can't imagine and am having trouble even vistualizing what to expect with terrain and what I can handle.

I start walking on March 28. With the recent thread about the GR10 I am interested in leaving SJPP on the 28th head to Irun and that puts me on the Norte on April 1st...I think securing me that things will be open and maybe other pilgrims. I assume those four days might make a difference in the population on the Norte.

So in 20 days I will be somewhere...and that is EASTER
I will have 11 walking after this location till I return home.
Any suggestions on where I should hope to end up, a nice place for Easter.
It's no huge biggie to me if I am in a cow field by myself BUT if I could try to plan something it would be nice. I'll have 31 days to do the Norte if my goal is Santiago (having used four days on GR10)...
I do enjoy long days of walking and if auberges don't typically open till 4pm on the Norte (that is what I am reading) I know I will enjoy long days.

I thank you all for your encouragement because I never would have considered the Norte without this little oasis on our forum...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Neve.
Using the Gronze guide to the stages you could be around Ribadasella (beautiful church) or either Oviedo or Gijón, depending on the choice of route here. Oviedo is the Cathedral of the Saviour (San Salvador) and there is a saying about 'not visiting St James without visiting the Saviour'. So you could aim for Oviedo for Easter.
Buen Camino

While you're waiting for the wise ones to digest their xmas pud, here's my view...
The SJPdP-Irun idea may not work at all at the end of March. If the weather is anything like as wet and as cold as it was this year you will really struggle and I think it will take longer. Even though this is the easier and lower part of the GR10 it is generally more demanding than the camino. I've not walked the part west of St Jean, but looking at my guide book I think it will be similarly testing to the stages I've walked from St Jean to Lescun. Honestly, given the time you have I'd save it for another trip and concentrate on doing justice to the Norte.
But if you are going to stick to your idea my suggestion is as follows. Working back from Santiago, 11 walking days with viable places to stay averages 31k pd - if you start in Gijon. It's a lovely city but without an albergue. The youth hostel is a bus ride out from the centre and is modern but lacking any magic. I'd suggest finding somewhere in town, but check the Gijon calendar as it's a bit of a festa town and you may find Easter gets booked out early. Tia mentions Oviedo; be aware that it's a bit of a diversion off the typical Norte route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes the route through Oviedo is given clearly as an alternative by Gronze and also the CSJ guides among others, but many do choose to follow it.

Yes the route through Oviedo is given clearly as an alternative by Gronze and also the CSJ guides among others, but many do choose to follow it.
You all are wonderful...help me out am I correct that if I shoot for Oviedo I have to choose to walk the Primivito or can one do that and continue on the Coast?
I still don't know which option I plan but have been leaning stay North....

While you're waiting for the wise ones to digest their xmas pud, here's my view...
The SJPdP-Irun idea may not work at all at the end of March. If the weather is anything like as wet and as cold as it was this year you will really struggle and I think it will take longer. Even though this is the easier and lower part of the GR10 it is generally more demanding than the camino. I've not walked the part west of St Jean, but looking at my guide book I think it will be similarly testing to the stages I've walked from St Jean to Lescun. Honestly, given the time you have I'd save it for another trip and concentrate on doing justice to the Norte.
But if you are going to stick to your idea my suggestion is as follows. Working back from Santiago, 11 walking days with viable places to stay averages 31k pd - if you start in Gijon. It's a lovely city but without an albergue. The youth hostel is a bus ride out from the centre and is modern but lacking any magic. I'd suggest finding somewhere in town, but check the Gijon calendar as it's a bit of a festa town and you may find Easter gets booked out early. Tia mentions Oviedo; be aware that it's a bit of a diversion off the typical Norte route.
Tom you are a wealth of knowledge thank you for taking the time to share.... I know little about this GR10 can you share is it comparable to the Napoleon or the path at the base that began with a "v" . I think I'm imagining a more base route vs the high points....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You all are wonderful...help me out am I correct that if I shoot for Oviedo I have to choose to walk the Primivito or can one do that and continue on the Coast?
I still don't know which option I plan but have been leaning stay North....
From Oviedo pilgrims can choose whether to follow the Primitivo, or whether to return to the Norte. The CSJ guides to the Norte (A - Bks 1&2 and F - Primitivo) give the route to and from Oviedo, to Aviles and also via La Espina ( a short way along the Primitivo), then north to the coast again. The alternatives on the Gronze site only go to Oviedo (for the Primitivo link) without giving the route back to the coast, but it is signed. Care needs to be taken leaving Oviedo to follow the correct route. (The CSJ guide to the Camino Primitivo has all the return routes to the coast as an appendix.) We found these really good as they not only give the routes but also places of interest and alternative places to stay in addition to listing the albergues. More detail than David's book, they make good complementary information.

Last edited:
Neve
I'm guessing that by "the path at the base that began with 'V' ", you mean Valcarlos! GR10 is a proper long distance path. You could drive over route Napoleon in a Land Rover really. This wouldn't be possible on parts of the GR10. But my key point is the season - it will very likely be slippery, muddy and inclined towards cold wind and rain at the end of March. I suggest you do a bit more on-line detective work and see if you can locate the views of those with experience of this section at this time.

Tom, just today started opening my book and making notes and drooling over pictures. I am drawn to this town, Gijon... Huge thanks to everyone for posting and sharing, not certain where I will end up but am convinced I have some great places to be on Easter.
Also Tom it was today I shed my desire to do SJP to Irun (for this trip:))...and I thank you for mentioning giving the Norte her justice...I now see that is where my concentration needs to be.
Huge thanks to all, as always!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Neve
I feel that our work here is done. Next!

but seriously... I'm glad it's all falling into place now. But keep asking if you have more questions. It's been foul stormy weather here in London in the limbo-land between xmas and New Years; and I've enjoyed getting the books and notes out and reliving last year's endeavours :)

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back