• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week

J F Gregory

Camino Frances , Camino Primavito 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Portuguese 2021, Frances and Prima
We are walking our Camino during Holy Week and past Easter. Should we nightly reservations now during Holy Week?

Ultreya
Fred

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We always walk that week - no need for reservations, but it might be smart to carry a little bit of extra cash (not relying on cards), since we've had encounters with empty cash machines at Easter!

Hi Fred,

Holy week will be busy. That said walking in 2012 I never failed to find a bed, even in Logrono on Good Friday. Many Spanish pilgrims walk at this time and the Semana Santa processions in some cities - Pamplona, Logrono, Seville, Burgos, Leon in particular attract tourists as well as pilgrims. You haven't said where which Camino you are walking or where you are likely to be during Holy Week.

Bear in mind that you cannot make reservations for publicly run Albergues though most private ones will take reservations. http://www.gronze.com/ is a reliable source of information on which Albergues do accept reservations. If you are thinking in terms of Hotel accommodation then Booking.com is a probably more reliable authority on availability than this forum.

Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Fred,

Holy week will be busy. That said walking in 2012 I never failed to find a bed, even in Logrono on Good Friday. Many Spanish pilgrims walk at this time and the Semana Santa processions in some cities - Pamplona, Logrono, Seville, Burgos, Leon in particular attract tourists as well as pilgrims. You haven't said where which Camino you are walking or where you are likely to be during Holy Week.

Bear in mind that you cannot make reservations for publicly run Albergues though most private ones will take reservations. http://www.gronze.com/ is a reliable source of information on which Albergues do accept reservations. If you are thinking in terms of Hotel accommodation then Booking.com is a probably more reliable authority on availability than this forum.

Buen camino
We will be walking the Camino Frances. Thank you for the information.

We are walking our Camino during Holy Week and past Easter. Should we nightly reservations now during Holy Week? ...

The good news is that nearly all albergues on the Camino Frances will be open by then, the bad is that not all of them do accept reservations. Realistically, if you don't walk the (Brierley) stages everybody else does and are a wee bit flexible which albergue you are staying in, you will do fine even without reservations. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be arriving Santiago on holy saturday.... can't do better because of work. But hey, will be in the Cathedral for EASTER !!! Am sooooooo looking forward to the splendor (as it always is in the Cathedral). And then.... haven't decided where to walk from... yet. Have done a fair bit of walking this year and my lower back is........... quite near kaput. But I'll get there... it always happens. Am doing some exercises and am using some amazing Ayurvedic oil ... and its helping. Buen Camino

I was on the CF during Semana Santa this spring (2015) and had no issues finding lodging. I had a great experience and met many Spaniards who were just walking for the week.

One of my best memories was seeing the processions in Navarette. So different than Sevilla, and an absolutely moving evening. I had almost stopped that night in Logroño to stay with some of my new Spanish friends, but moved on only because I had visited the city a couple years ago.image.jpg

image.jpg
In Logroño I was able to see the work involved in getting ready for the processions. At one point while inside a church I was feeling a little bad about being so dirty, keeping to the sides and away from the crowds, and looked into an open door. A man inside invited me into the room and we talked a little. He was kind enough to to speak slowly and enunciate (a sure sign someone wants to talk with you) while I tried my best to conjugate properly. I don't know how many pilgrims have walked into that church, but he made me feel as though it was important that I was there, at that moment.

image.jpg

Finally, while walking alone on Easter morning I came upon a cross. It held more meaning than I can convey. image.jpg

Was in Cirauqui during Semana Santa, a wonderful village procession. No tourists only the villagers and we pilgrims. All the statues from the church were taken out for a ride around the alleys almost like processions in Japan, stopping at the important squares (both of them) and by the homes of invalids (how kind). The larger heavier ones carried by burly men in their KKK robes and hats lit by car batteries powering headlights, the lighter more delicate Virgin Mary carried by the young girls - average age 12, no comment, the albergue remained open until 1130 as a kind gesture and a good time was had by all. Better and more truly spiritual and joyous than any I've witnessed in larger towns.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back