• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Week

C

Camino Chris

I am new to this forum, but have been following it for a long time and have appreciated all the information and advice I've been able to benefit from. I will be starting my 3rd Camino with 3 other family members during Holy Week. I am concerned about finding lodging during that time and wonder if anyone knows statistics for the potential busyness of the Camino during this time. We start from SJPP on April 12th. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the Forum,

I doubt anyone will give you stats about Holy Week, but if you are nervous about finding a bed why not book ahead for those days?

We walked during Holy Week in 2015, we had no problems finding open albergues with plenty of beds. Some were closed until after Easter, but most were open. (Easter was about April 10th that year, if I remember correctly.) There were quite a few Spanish families walking too, and teachers! One difficulty was that a number of shops were closed. Also, on Good Friday, we couldn't find an open church in Galacia. Maybe everyone had gone to a big city or my timing was off. We decided to say a "Glory Be" prayer every time we saw a cross.

You know, there are lot of crosses in Spain, especially on Good Friday. It ended up being a great day of prayerful meditation.

Beun Camino,

Kate

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am new to this forum, but have been following it for a long time and have appreciated all the information and advice I've been able to benefit from. I will be starting my 3rd Camino with 3 other family members during Holy Week. I am concerned about finding lodging during that time and wonder if anyone knows statistics for the potential busyness of the Camino during this time. We start from SJPP on April 12th. Thank you.

easter week is a popular time for spaniards to walk as many businesses get the week off, so expect a spike in domestic pilgrims. as you are a party of 4, i'd book ahead if you are a doing the last section, which is where the spaniards will head.

Buen Camino

Hi Camino Chris, welcome to the forum. I walked during Holy week in 2015 - started the week before from SJJP. I experienced no difficulty getting accommodation in Pamplona, but after then it became tricky. As others have said the weekend of holy week is when lots of Spanish people walk the Camino, or sections of it. Accommodation at Zubiri was hard to find but we arrived around teatime, the albergue at Uterga (after the Alto Perdon) was full, but I had reserved a bed by booking ahead. The Refugio PP Repardores at Puente La Reina had lots of beds but you needed to arrive no later than around 2pm to secure one - it's a great place to be for Holy week having three magnificent churches all open to the public and with Semana Santa processions. The Los Arcos albergues were full that weekend, but there was private accommodation available - book ahead for peace of mind - and the street processions and tableaux were wonderful. I don't know how far you intend to walk each day, but if planning to cross the Pyrenees via the Napoleon route and stop at Orrison you will definitely need to book to secure beds there. If you walk via Valcarlos, there is a small albergue but I don't think they take reservations but there is other accommodation in the village. I stayed at a good private place in Espinal called Haizea, where myself and a fellow peregrina were the only pilgrims there. As others have suggested, book ahead where possible to ensure beds for the four of you and then enjoy the holiday. Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the Forum,

I doubt anyone will give you stats about Holy Week, but if you are nervous about finding a bed why not book ahead for those days?
I have booked most of our accomodations ahead as you suggested, although I noticed many were filling up. We will be in Pamplona Easter Sunday and from there we hope to mostly "wing it" as we go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have booked most of our accomodations ahead as you suggested, although I noticed many were filling up. We will be in Pamplona Easter Sunday and from there we hope to mostly "wing it" as we go.
Good for you. Glad you will leave with more peace of mind.

Hi Camino Chris, welcome to the forum. I walked during Holy week in 2015 - started the week before from SJJP. I experienced no difficulty getting accommodation in Pamplona, but after then it became tricky. As others have said the weekend of holy week is when lots of Spanish people walk the Camino, or sections of it. Accommodation at Zubiri was hard to find but we arrived around teatime, the albergue at Uterga (after the Alto Perdon) was full, but I had reserved a bed by booking ahead. The Refugio PP Repardores at Puente La Reina had lots of beds but you needed to arrive no later than around 2pm to secure one - it's a great place to be for Holy week having three magnificent churches all open to the public and with Semana Santa processions. The Los Arcos albergues were full that weekend, but there was private accommodation available - book ahead for peace of mind - and the street processions and tableaux were wonderful. I don't know how far you intend to walk each day, but if planning to cross the Pyrenees via the Napoleon route and stop at Orrison you will definitely need to book to secure beds there. If you walk via Valcarlos, there is a small albergue but I don't think they take reservations but there is other accommodation in the village. I stayed at a good private place in Espinal called Haizea, where myself and a fellow peregrina were the only pilgrims there. As others have suggested, book ahead where possible to ensure beds for the four of you and then enjoy the holiday. Buen camino!
Thank you for all the detailed information on your personal experiences. I plan to stay in Valcarlos at the muni like I did in mid April 2015 as I loved that route. After arriving in Roncevalles, the pilgrims who had walked the Napoleon route came stumbling in with rain and mud all over there shoes and pants. I heard the winds were so strong that it "went in one ear and out the other" and the fog near the top they couldn't enjoy the views. I experienced none of those things, just a peaceful, beautiful walk through a variety of landscapes!

Thank you for all the detailed information on your personal experiences. I plan to stay in Valcarlos at the muni like I did in mid April 2015 as I loved that route. After arriving in Roncevalles, the pilgrims who had walked the Napoleon route came stumbling in with rain and mud all over there shoes and pants. I heard the winds were so strong that it "went in one ear and out the other" and the fog near the top they couldn't enjoy the views. I experienced none of those things, just a peaceful, beautiful walk through a variety of landscapes!
I have now booked accomodations until Easter night in Pamplona, then plan to let each day unfold as it comes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I walked during Holy week last year and never had any issues finding beds in albergues. Many Spanish families walk with their children, they seemed to used hotels, pensions, and family members to sleep at night.

Holy Week is busy on the Camino, but really, really busy only on the last 100km. 2016 6000 pilgrims arrived, yes only in Holy Week, in Santiago, most of them had walked from Sarria. Further away from the end point things tend to be less dramatic. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back