• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy year crowds

A

AJ

None encountered on the Vezelay route yet. Plenty of room in the admittedly small Refuges. Most pilgrims I have met are from Holland and Belgium and have set off from their homes.

I am currently at Thiviers, about half way to SJPdP from Vezelay.

Believe it or not it is possible to go hungry/thirsty in France of all places!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can just picture your journey AJ! Yes you are right - water was a problem a couple of times when I did the path last year. Asked one lady for water, and not only did she fill my bottle, but gave me a delicious nectarine as well. Another time - on a particularly hot day a family were sitting outside having lunch and the father got up with the jug of iced water and brought it over to me, as I walked past, so I could fill my bottle with icey cold water. Food was never a problem (after I ran out the first time!) I just made sure that I always had a packet of Pain du Lait in my bag, and so, if all else failed I had a fallback - not the most nutritious, but at least it was something to eat. It was also helpful in the mornings as I would have a couple for breakfast / morning tea if nothing else was available. (they also didn't seem to crush too much either, and would keep for a few days!)

I found the Maries were particularly helpful when it came to topping up my bottle/s.

Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. Buen Camino Janet

Arrived SJPdP today. The Voie de Vezelay was not at all crowded. The only place I saw more than a couple of pilgrims was Ostabat yesterday and here today.

The owner of the Refuge says that there have been no more pilgrims than normal here.

Spain tomorrow

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well done - you most have been "motoring' (with the feet)! I suspect that the crowds will be a shock to you now. Enjoy Spain. Buen Camino, Janet

Arrived Viana today. Still not too many pilgrims, though numbers are slowly increasing. No problems with beds. Rain and mud sadly, but tinto and comida gladly!

Belorado (I think). Numbers increasing, but still plenty of beds. Weather has been changeable, dry the past two days so the track is easy to walk. Unseasonably cold.

Hay bacalao - yummm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back