• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Homemade Down Blanket from Recycled Materials

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2021)
Camino Frances (April 17, - May, 15, 2015)
I have spent a lot of time on the forums trying to decide what equipment to get for my Camino in 2015. One of the decisions was between a silk sleep liner or a lightweight sleeping bag or a fleece liner. Originally was thinking I would walk in the summer and decided that the silk sleep liner would be the appropriate thing to have. I figured I could use my towel and poncho and layer on clothes if it got really cold. So, I purchased a silk liner.

I am now considering trying to avoid the peak pilgrim times and am considering walking spring or fall. Yikes, I like to sleep warm so I was back to thinking of getting a sleeping bag. Then I kept reading posts where some people are using their sleeping bag more as a sleeping blanket. So I thought, maybe what I want is a sleeping blanket. Then it occurred to me that if I’m going to use it as a blanket that it would not need to be as large as a sleeping bag unzipped into a blanket. Why not just a single size down blanket with no zipper?

I found my husband’s old down parka with hood in the closet. Since we live in Arizona he hadn’t used it since he move here 25 years ago. I asked him if I could have it. Next I purchased super lightweight uncoated rip stop nylon. I got a piece that was 72” wide and 2 ¼ yards long. The first thing I did was to sear the seams. This involves running the cut edge of the nylon through a candle flame for just long enough for the edge to melt, but not catch on fire. Practice this step on a scrap first. If it does catch on fire blow out the flame before it melts the entire piece of fabric.

I folded the nylon in half and sewed the two narrow ends and about 3 inches along the long side on each end. Then I turned it inside out. Next I marked with a colored pencil lines every 9” across the short 36” width. I laid out the fabric on the floor and pinned the top to the bottom along the horizontal lines. At the open end I folded the top and bottom to the inside ½ inch. Then I top stitched these lines creating horizontal tubes in the blanket.

That is the easy part. If you are recycling down from a down jacket then you need to find a good way to open the garment, grab the down, and shove it into the tubes sewn into the down blanket. I removed all of the quilting stitches in the parka leaving me with four sources of down, the two fronts, the back and the hood. I cut a hole just large enough to get my hand into the down and grabbed a fistful then shoved it to the bottom of one of the blanket tubes. When each tube was filled enough then just pin the end shut and move on to the next tube. As you can imagine, this part of the process is kind of messy. Since it was 100F in Arizona when I did this, I was sweating and the down was sticking to my skin. I looked like I had been tar and feathered. Big hint - do this step outdoors.

Once all of the tubes are filled I folded the open side to the inside ½ inch then I topstitched all four edges of the blanket. I left the bottom tube unfilled as I was thinking that perhaps it could be tucked in under the mattress to keep the blanket in place on the bed. But I’m also thinking of sewing buttons on all four corners and attaching elastic loops to the four corners of the silk sleep liner so the blanket doesn’t slip off while I’m asleep. I’m also thinking that maybe the blanket should go into the silk sleep liner which would keep in in place and be protected from bugs. I’m still working on what I want to do to finish it. I probably need to test it out before I go. Weight of my puffy down blanket is 381 gms, which is less than a sleeping bag.

Here is a photo of my finished down sleep blanket plus the old down parka as well as the unfilled blanket. Now I’m thinking of other things I can fabricate an improved version of. I still want a poncho and am debating between the popular Altus or sewing a poncho where I can add ventilation and other features that I think would be useful.

Anybody else have an old down parka sitting in their closet? This is a pretty easy project if you have beginning sewing skills. I only have $6 invested in the ripstop nylon.
Down Blanket 1.JPG Down Blanket 3.JPG Down Blanket 8.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@L Squared I love this. I'm looking for a new ultra light quilt - my old down filled sleeping bag liner that opens out flat got mauled by the dog. I'd like quantum pertex, and I'd prefer something wider - so I can move around. I don't want to attach it to anything in case I get too hot.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love this. I'm looking for a new ultra light quilt - my old down filled sleeping bag liner that opens out flat got mauled by the dog. I'd like quantum pertex, and I'd prefer something wider - so I can move around. I don't want to attach it to anything in case I get too hot.

The quantum pertex looks pretty good. It appears to be a little lighter than the rip stop I used. Yeah wider is better. I really can't deal with a mummy shape. My blanket is the same width as my silk sleep sack so I hope that isn't too confining.

At 1 pound 2 ounces, Big Agnes has a sleeping bag with insulation only on top. You are insulated on the bottom by the mattress. The price, though, makes home sewing to accomplish a similar product seem worthwhile!

The Big Agnes bag is kind of interesting. I didn't know something like that was available. Weight wise my down blanket/silk sleep sack comes in at 511 grams which is about 1 pounds, 2 ounces, so really similar in weight. I see that Big Agnes has a down blanket shown on their website.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So funny you posted this! I was thinking the same thing about a month ago (but I live in San Francisco where we DO use the down jacket, but mostly July through September!) I was thinking of buying loose down and maybe taking one of my old jackets that's seen better days and making a small, compact quilt. GREAT IDEA! (great minds think alike, eh?) the only difference is that I bought some Silnylon (very light weight) online and need to figure out how to sew that--so many projects :) Thanks for the great pics, too!

Ah, that's a good point--I didn't even think of that. Same reason I wouldn't use one of those silver emergency blankets; hold all the warmth, but let out none of the moisture. Guess I'll use the Silnylon for stuff sacks and such.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Post Camino update on the performance of the down blanket I made and used on my camino. The little down blanket I made very lightweight to carry and warm but lightweight for sleeping under. I used it with a silk sleep sack and had little tie downs so the blanket did not slip off the silk sleep sack. I was always comfortable. Not too hot and sweaty or too cold. One cold night, with the alburgue windows open, I added a alburgue blanket on top for additional warmth. I was very happy with the performance of the down blanket. I consider it a total success!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.