• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Homesick for the Camino

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
I‘ve heard from many people being homesick while on the Camino, but have you ever experienced the opposite of that?

I get homesick for the Camino.

Homesick to a place that isn‘t even a place, but a number of places, an inbetween; an essence of the people walking and living and working on and near it, now and for more than a thousand years already; a feeling more than anything else, maybe.

I guess I‘m not the only one here, which is why I‘m writing this. For those who can relate: Just know you‘re not alone, and in our longing for that non-place we‘re connected even though we‘re not there physically. Not yet, not right now. But in our hearts we are.

Buen camino peregrino, even though you might not be walking at the moment, and might not for a while or a long time even. You‘re a pilgrim still, on your way, among all the others.

I give you a visual hug, if you want one, and share a mile and a smile with you and a bottle of vino tinto and a simple meal at the end of the day, if you like.

Let‘s walk together in our minds, at least.

I miss you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I‘ve heard from many people being homesick while on the Camino, but have you ever experienced the opposite of that?

Homesick to a place that isn‘t even a place, but a number of places, an inbetween; an essence of the people walking and living and working on and near it, now and for more than a thousand years already; a feeling more than anything else, maybe.

I guess I‘m not the only one here, which is why I‘m writing this. For those who can relate: Just know you‘re not alone, and in our longing for that non-place we‘re connected even though we‘re not there physically. Not yet, not right now. But in our hearts we are.

Buen camino peregrino, even though you might not be walking at the moment, and might not for a while or a long time even. You‘re a pilgrim still, on your way, among all the others.

I give you a visual hug, if you want one, and share a mile and a smile with you and a bottle of vino tinto and a simple meal at the end of the day, if you like.

I miss you.
nicely said. You're a parallel thinker my friend!

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

I miss you.
yes, I am homesick for the Camino. I have done eleven Caminos and these past two years have been hard for all pilgrims. Hopefully next year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I miss you.
Beautifully articulated and heartfelt. You have made my day! Buen Camino to you as well!

I miss you.
We are homesick for the Camino for one simple reason. People ask me why I keep walking. The answer is when I am on the CF or the Norte or the Portugues or Le Puy or on the way to the end of the world or soon to be on the VDLP, the Camino is home.
I think we may be thinking about it but we are feeling it and wanting to walk together in our hearts.
Just wrote a little response to a post about the Cowboy Bar. On the side of the wall to the right was the best encapsulation I ever read about the Camino.
Together we walk alone.

I miss you.
So well put. Just scratch the surface of my heart and the Camino is there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I understand totally. I’m a real newbie, only having completed the CF last year, but I fully get the yearning. I have a second planned for October so I have everything crossed that the people of Spain (and the rest of the world, come to that) will have respite and continue to welcome pilgrims to their beautiful country.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Every single day.

The simplicity, the routine, the expectation of a new thought or a decision made while walking, or the possibility of meeting a kindred spirit along the way - things that feel natural, like "home."
Yes. The simplicity of having nothing to do except walk, interact with local people to meet basic needs and learn something of local ways. With other travelers who are kindred spirits and recognize the occasional need for solitude. Experience the surroundings-wide open spaces, tiny villages, cities….
Time to ruminate, or not… It really does feel like “home”, especially for me on the Portuguese as I have lived in Braga and Lisbon, and on the island of Faial. Home, yet a “passerby”, knowing this time may be the last. As I walk here in Tacoma, the walking brings an occasional flashback…..

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back