• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hondarribia to San Sebastian on January 29/30th 2017

poogeyejr

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 2011, 2013, 2017, 2023; Frances 2017
I am back to the Norte at the end of this week and I was wondering if there was anyone who would like to join me on the coastal route out of Hondarribia to Pasai Donibane on Sunday - January 29th or Monday - January 30th. I have walked the inland route twice and wanted to give the coastal route a try, but in January I think this would be better done with another Pilgrim as it is off the beaten track. (Although on a Sunday there may be locals out hiking, as there always seems to be locals around.)

Even if you have other plans, if you are starting the Norte the end of Jan, let me know - I look forward to seeing you on the Camino.

Kathy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Kathy,
Would love to be there, but.....

What's this coastal route you've mentioned? On wikiloc, it looks like about 7 flat kms before you head up to the same place that the Camino goes. But I may be all messed up about that.

How long will you be walking? Planning to walk the Norte this summer, so I will enjoy your reports, I'm sure! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did 3 and a half sections. I stayed in San Sebastian, so each day I would get on the EuskoTren at Anoeta and ride to Hendaia (Hendaye in Spanish)

Day 1 - I got to Hendaye and tried to find a train or bus to Bidart but I had missed the morning bus and the next one was not until noon, with the short winter daylight hours, unfamiliar hike and the fact that I was hiking alone I decided to do the Pasaia to San Sebastian section first and come back to Bidart second.

Day 2 - Train to Hendaye and bus to Bidart. I had to walk to the start of the trail, but the day was clear and warm and it was a lovely hike.

Day 3 - Train to Hendaye and bus to Saint-Jean-de-Luz. Again, I had to walk to the start of the trail, and when I finished walk out to the train station in Hendaye.

Day 4 - I took the train to Hendaye and then walked out to the ferry to Hondarribia which was cancelled for the day due to repair issues. So I had to walk all the way back to the bridge to Irun then walk from Irun to Hondarribia, then start the hike. Once I got about 5km in on the hike from Hondarribia to Pasaia I realized I had bit off too much for one day, so I walked the 5km back to Hondarribia and caught a taxi to the train in Irun.

on Day 5 - I was heading to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port so I did the same route, Train to Hendaye and I stayed on the bus all the way to Bayonne, then connected with a bus to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

It was great weather, unseasonably warm and sunny!

I did 3 and a half sections. I stayed in San Sebastian, so each day I would get on the EuskoTren at Anoeta and ride to Hendaia (Hendaye in Spanish)

Day 1 - I got to Hendaye and tried to find a train or bus to Bidart but I had missed the morning bus and the next one was not until noon, with the short winter daylight hours, unfamiliar hike and the fact that I was hiking alone I decided to do the Pasaia to San Sebastian section first and come back to Bidart second.

Day 2 - Train to Hendaye and bus to Bidart. I had to walk to the start of the trail, but the day was clear and warm and it was a lovely hike.

Day 3 - Train to Hendaye and bus to Saint-Jean-de-Luz. Again, I had to walk to the start of the trail, and when I finished walk out to the train station in Hendaye.

Day 4 - I took the train to Hendaye and then walked out to the ferry to Hondarribia which was cancelled for the day due to repair issues. So I had to walk all the way back to the bridge to Irun then walk from Irun to Hondarribia, then start the hike. Once I got about 5km in on the hike from Hondarribia to Pasaia I realized I had bit off too much for one day, so I walked the 5km back to Hondarribia and caught a taxi to the train in Irun.

on Day 5 - I was heading to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port so I did the same route, Train to Hendaye and I stayed on the bus all the way to Bayonne, then connected with a bus to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

It was great weather, unseasonably warm and sunny!
Lucky you with warm and sunny weather!

Which sections would you say were the prettiest? I'm hoping to squeeze in one short bit on my way to Bayonne to start the Baztan. I will land at the airport in San Sebastian and walk to Hondarribia/Irun/or Hendaye. I was thinking I might walk from Hendaye to St. Jean de Luz (your day 3, I think). And then take a train/bus to Bayonne. Good idea? Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

I think that is an excellent idea! The only issue is the bus schedule and timing. Walking from the train to the start of the trail and out to the bus stop may be a timing issue.
I would start at the Hendaye station early (8ish) and talk to the ticket person about how often the bus stops at St. Jean De Luz (and where!).

But awesome idea!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Which sections would you say were the prettiest? I'm hoping to squeeze in one short bit on my way to Bayonne to start the Baztan. I will land at the airport in San Sebastian and walk to Hondarribia/Irun/or Hendaye. I was thinking I might walk from Hendaye to St. Jean de Luz (your day 3, I think). And then take a train/bus to Bayonne. Good idea? Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

I think that is an excellent idea! The only issue is the bus schedule and timing. Walking from the train to the start of the trail and out to the bus stop may be a timing issue.
I would start at the Hendaye station early (8ish) and talk to the ticket person about how often the bus stops at St. Jean De Luz (and where!).

But awesome idea!!!

Here's a link to the bus timetable.

Nuala, I can't find a link on your response. Can you try again or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, L.

Sorry Laurie, not sure what happened there. I really shouldn't post on the forum before I've had my breakfast!

Here's the full version: http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/...aye_et_bayonne_irun_hendaye_web_1.09.2016.pdf

You could walk from the beach in Hendaye to Ciboure or Saint Jean de Luz (about 12kms). I'll be doing this in the opposite direction a week before you, so I'll let you know how it goes. The other option would be to get a bus to Cibourne or Saint Jean de Luz and walk towards Bidart & Biarritz.

Edit - if you stay in Hondarribia, there's the ferry option too! Ferry to Hendaye, walk to wherever you fancy stopping.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry Laurie, not sure what happened there. I really shouldn't post on the forum before I've had my breakfast!

Here's the full version: http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/...aye_et_bayonne_irun_hendaye_web_1.09.2016.pdf

You could walk from the beach in Hendaye to Ciboure or Saint Jean de Luz (about 12kms). I'll be doing this in the opposite direction a week before you, so I'll let you know how it goes. The other option would be to get a bus to Cibourne or Saint Jean de Luz and walk towards Bidart & Biarritz.

Edit - if you stay in Hondarribia, there's the ferry option too! Ferry to Hendaye, walk to wherever you fancy stopping.

Muchas gracias. :)

My original idea was to land at the San Sebastián airport, walk to Hondarribia, and stay up as late as I can to combat jet lag. Then get up early the next morning and take the ferry over to Hendaya to start walking to St. Jean. BUT... the ferry doesn't start till 10, so I think I will take the ferry over the day before and sleep in Hendaye. That's fine, too. I do want to start early enough from Hendaye to get to St. Jean de Luz early enough to get to Bayonne early enough to spend some time walking around Bayonne and enjoying what looks like a beautiful old central core.

The wikiloc tracks I have say Hendaye to St. Jean is only 13 km, so if I start around 7 am I can eat a late breakfast in St. Jean de Luz and then get to Bayonne in time to have most of the afternoon there, at least that's under the best of circumstances!!! Does that make sense to you, Nuala?

Muchas gracias. :)

My original idea was to land at the San Sebastián airport, walk to Hondarribia, and stay up as late as I can to combat jet lag. Then get up early the next morning and take the ferry over to Hendaya to start walking to St. Jean. BUT... the ferry doesn't start till 10, so I think I will take the ferry over the day before and sleep in Hendaye. That's fine, too. I do want to start early enough from Hendaye to get to St. Jean de Luz early enough to get to Bayonne early enough to spend some time walking around Bayonne and enjoying what looks like a beautiful old central core.

The wikiloc tracks I have say Hendaye to St. Jean is only 13 km, so if I start around 7 am I can eat a late breakfast in St. Jean de Luz and then get to Bayonne in time to have most of the afternoon there, at least that's under the best of circumstances!!! Does that make sense to you, Nuala?

Hi Laurie, that sounds pretty good to me. One point to consider is where you stay in Hendaye. For example, if your lodgings are near the station it's a 3km walk to the Plage d'Hendaye and the beginning of that nice coastal walk to Saint Jean de Luz (according to google maps). It were me, I'd probably take a bus or a taxi for those first few kms and save my energy for later.

I will of course know more about this after I walk it on 9th May! Right now, my knowledge is totally based on internet searches and the information on this forum. However it all seems very simple. Just keep the sea on your left hand side and you'll be fine :)

Which sections would you say were the prettiest?

They were all stunning! Ocean for days!!!

Right now, my knowledge is totally based on internet searches and the information on this forum. However it all seems very simple. Just keep the sea on your left hand side and you'll be fine :)

I took the pdfs on this site http://randonnee.tourisme64.com/grands-itineraires/sentier-du-littoral/coastal-trail/ recommended by BShea. They were straight forward and a lot of fun!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back