• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Honorary Ambassador of the Camino de Santiago

stevenjarvis

Google translate from http://www.xacobeo.es/en/blog/la-xunta-crea-la-figura-del-embajador-de-honor-del-camino-de-santiago

The Xunta de Galicia approved the decree establishing the figure of ' Honorary Ambassador of the Camino de Santiago ' , which distinguish the work of the natural or legal persons who have especially contributed to the knowledge and dissemination of the Road , as well as of culture and values Jacobean .As specified in the text, there will be two categories of ' Honorary Ambassador Way' , both for life and entirely honorific : the category to personal and institutional category .The proposals of candidates for the title may be carried out throughout the year. And the messengers shall undertake to cooperate in the annual cultural program of the Regional Government with at least one action or activity , for the dissemination of human values and social , cultural and spiritual Way.Also be granted a maximum of eight lifetime ambassador titles in each category, corresponding to the number of eight historic routes of the Camino de Santiago , and the delivery of the distinctions made in the month of October each year , coinciding with the day Camino was declared the first European Cultural Route by the Council of Europe 26 years ago.

Google translate from ABC

The regional government has decided to promote the already popular Camino de Santiago with the creation of a new figure to recognize the work of those who contribute to its disclosure and simultaneously seal the future commitment of these with the Pilgrim : Ambassador of honor of this spiritual path.Your recipients will be both personalities and institutions which will hold the title to annuity . Every year I may receive up to eight natural or legal persons and the ceremony will be provided in October , from 2014 , as this is the month that marks the distinction as European cultural route by the Council of Europe.The award will require the commitment of promoting at least an annual event for the road , which in this 2013 already exceeds by 12% the numbers of pilgrims reached around 2012.International Congress pilgrimages In addition , Alberto Nunez Feijoo announced Thursday that the Galician capital will host between 17 to September 19, 2014 the first international congress of pilgrimage , organized by the World Tourism Office , under the UN , the Secretary of State for Tourism Galician Axencia and Tourism. This event is linked to the celebration of the eighth centenary of the pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Compostela.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
which distinguish the work of the natural or legal persons who have especially contributed to the knowledge and dissemination of the Road ,

Wonder if this means that Ivar could be nominated for recognition owing to his work with this forum? Hope so, feels like the right thing to do for the right reasons.

Buen Camino

Absolutely! The kind of work that Ivar and others have done to make the Camino accessible to people from across the English-speaking World in particular should be acknowledged, at least in a nomination. Ivar will probably disagree so maybe we should ignore him on this one occasion. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While acknowledging our great debt to Ivar I am not sure he has the time spare to create an annual event. However if he were so honoured I would be interested in what form people think this could take and how we could facilitate it. Let's not forget Johnnie Walker as well.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back