• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hope how well marked is the Arles route please

Don Hawkins

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the camino in Spain but want to walk from Rome to Santiago this spring
I will be heading for The Arles route in a couple of days could anyone please tell me how well marked it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not great by Frances standards. There are some recent re-routes as well, and on some of them the old route is still marked.

We had the FFRP guidebook and a GPS and used them both.

Hi Don, My wife and I walked from Montpellier to Puente la Reina last April/May and had no problem at all with the route markings. We used the Miam Miam Dodo book and the CSJ Guidebook. We found that the GR red/white markings were great on the Arles route as well as the Le Puy route. Bon Chemin. Dayton and Karen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's all there but you need to keep your eyes open. I found that placement was guided by the 'anxiety factor'. When I got anxious one turned up. ****Useful tip: If you can't see any way marks look back the way you've come and you'll often see the ones going the other way; if you can't you may well be lost!

I will be heading for The Arles route in a couple of days could anyone please tell me how well marked it is.
I walked arles last year and do recommend either the english guides or if your french is good you could use the french guide. The trail is well marked but there are many fewer people than le puy route or of course the camino. It was raining very hard last year and we missed some turn offs simply because we were looking down trying to plant our feet without falling in the mud. It is a beautiful route through some grand forests. Do not wait to buy your guides though. When i arrived in arles the bookstores were sold out of all their guides. If you have the time and have never been to the carmague take some extra time and visit the carmague bird sanctuary and seaside town (you can get there by town bus) and of course just the wonderful town of arles. Enjoy.....

It's all there but you need to keep your eyes open. I found that placement was guided by the 'anxiety factor'. When I got anxious one turned up. ****Useful tip: If you can't see any way marks look back the way you've come and you'll often see the ones going the other way; if you can't you may well be lost!
Thanks for that tip I am in Lodeve today and the looking back has helped me on a few occasions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back