• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hope to cycle northern camino from Bilbao to Santiago and then onto Porto-Help needed

Canadian Cathy

Time of past OR future Camino
sept. 2017
My husband and I are thinking we would like to cycle the Northern Camino in August 2019 from Bilbao to Santiago and then do the reverse Portuguese way from Santiago down to Porto. Just wondering if anyone else has done this/part of this who can give me any "dos and donts"? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Cathy, I did both Camino's last year in September, where I started in San Sebastian. The Del Norte is wonderful but probably one of the more expensive for accomodation. I stayed in a lot of private accomodations and hostels where I found them to be less full and more bang for your buck. There are some areas of the trip where if the guide says' Alternative route for cyclists" then take it. I found I wanted to stay on the walkers route as much as possible but there were a few times where I ended up pushing the bike up some of those single tracks and or finding the road to make it easier. It is definitely all doable by bike. On arrival to Santiago I then went along and rode the Portuguse to Porto backwards. I have already walked this route 2 years before so knew what I was up for. There is only one major hill I found to be hard and that was out of Baiona. I could have taken the road but again, I wanted to stay on the walkers track and the big climb out of Baiona into the hills was at times needing to walk the bike. However on the way down it was awesome. A bit foggy in the morning but I like to start early so that wasn't too much of a problem. I did come across several pilgrims up on that climb and they were quite stunned to see a cyclist. Once you get down the hill I stopped in Oia where there is a lovely old Monestary and hot a hot chocolate in the little town there. From there on in all the way to Porto I found it easy riding but then I like to ride a lot. Once I arrived into Porto I found a lovely air bnb to stay at for 2 nights until I flew out to Seville and rode the VDLP in 9 days. Lastly theres a great bike shop in Porto and he will pack your bike up for you or service it whatever is needed. The guys name is Felipe and his shop is called "SPORTOURS. Address is Rua do Breiner 412,4050-125 Porto. He is on the website and I totally rate him as the guy to go see. He organised my bike to be packed and couriered to my hotel in Seville while I jumped on a Plane. The bike arrived the same day I arrived. It was perfect.. Anyway hope this helps.
Buen camino....

Hi Cathy, I did both Camino's last year in September, where I started in San Sebastian. The Del Norte is wonderful but probably one of the more expensive for accomodation. I stayed in a lot of private accomodations and hostels where I found them to be less full and more bang for your buck. There are some areas of the trip where if the guide says' Alternative route for cyclists" then take it. I found I wanted to stay on the walkers route as much as possible but there were a few times where I ended up pushing the bike up some of those single tracks and or finding the road to make it easier. It is definitely all doable by bike. On arrival to Santiago I then went along and rode the Portuguse to Porto backwards. I have already walked this route 2 years before so knew what I was up for. There is only one major hill I found to be hard and that was out of Baiona. I could have taken the road but again, I wanted to stay on the walkers track and the big climb out of Baiona into the hills was at times needing to walk the bike. However on the way down it was awesome. A bit foggy in the morning but I like to start early so that wasn't too much of a problem. I did come across several pilgrims up on that climb and they were quite stunned to see a cyclist. Once you get down the hill I stopped in Oia where there is a lovely old Monestary and hot a hot chocolate in the little town there. From there on in all the way to Porto I found it easy riding but then I like to ride a lot. Once I arrived into Porto I found a lovely air bnb to stay at for 2 nights until I flew out to Seville and rode the VDLP in 9 days. Lastly theres a great bike shop in Porto and he will pack your bike up for you or service it whatever is needed. The guys name is Felipe and his shop is called "SPORTOURS. Address is Rua do Breiner 412,4050-125 Porto. He is on the website and I totally rate him as the guy to go see. He organised my bike to be packed and couriered to my hotel in Seville while I jumped on a Plane. The bike arrived the same day I arrived. It was perfect.. Anyway hope this helps.
Buen camino....
Hi Ingrid, I saw your post and the earlier one about cycling the northern way and then the Portuguese way from Santiago to Portland. I am hoping to do this in April this year and would love to pick your brain if possible. Can I? Thank you! Maey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Ingrid, I saw your post and the earlier one about cycling the northern way and then the Portuguese way from Santiago to Portland. I am hoping to do this in April this year and would love to pick your brain if possible. Can I? Thank you! Maey
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I should point out that Ingrid (to whom you responded) hasn't been on the forum for over a year. However, there are others who could probably help with any questions you have. Just go ahead and ask whatever you want to know!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back