• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoping an infected small toe is a minor setback

Nicolam

Time of past OR future Camino
I made it to Azofra with multiple blisters dealt with on both feet. I’ve loved the trip so far in so many ways and hope to continue tomorrow. I have wonderful Merrill shoes well worn in and a light pack at 7 kg. I have great medical care, treating the infection between my small and fourth toes and taking antibiotics. I have just bought a pair of fully adjustable teva sandals. I caught a taxi from Azofra to st Domingo de la Caldaza and have taken a day off here. I’d love to hear stories from people who overcame this type of setback to finish the Camino. I am traveling with my husband and do have some flexibility but I’m a long way from home and don’t know when I’ll make it back so would love to finish it this time, if there is a chance. I won’t start the walk again until the infection is under control. Positive stories needed!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
February 2014, I slipped and fell in the ever present mud on the backside of Alto de Perdon and badly sprained my ankle. I made it all the way to Fisterra. Adjustments: walked without care for a few weeks, hoping in taxis or hitching rides from absolute strangers after banging on their front door. Took eight recovery days off in Ponferrada. Doctor said quit walking or at least rest. Finally, I headed out with my ankle tightly taped everyday. By Santiago, I was fine. And, you will be too.
Buen camino.

February 2014, I slipped and fell in the ever present mud on the backside of Alto de Perdon and badly sprained my ankle. I made it all the way to Fisterra. Adjustments: walked without care for a few weeks, hoping in taxis or hitching rides from absolute strangers after banging on their front door. Took eight recovery days off in Ponferrada. Doctor said quit walking or at least rest. Finally, I headed out with my ankle tightly taped everyday. By Santiago, I was fine. And, you will be too.
Buen camino.
Thanks, great story. I’m still positive and hopeful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I had blisters & corns in those same locations. Try to find some toe separators at the Pharmacia The Tevas will help a lot. If you are getting blisters under the pad of your foot as well buy a pair of cushions & cut them in half in front of the Archie then slip those under the current cushions. They may not work if it makes your toes scrunch, but if it doesn't it will remove the movement with each step.
Last thing are you wearing wool socks? They are the best, yet some brands are much better than others.
Buen Camino
Keith

I had blisters & corns in those same locations. Try to find some toe separators at the Pharmacia The Tevas will help a lot. If you are getting blisters under the pad of your foot as well buy a pair of cushions & cut them in half in front of the Archie then slip those under the current cushions. They may not work if it makes your toes scrunch, but if it doesn't it will remove the movement with each step.
Last thing are you wearing wool socks? They are the best, yet some brands are much better than others.
Buen Camino
Keith
Thanks very much Keith for your suggestions

I'm on the Camino Frances right now and have suffered with blisters. Here is what I've found helpful....alternate shoes each day (I have two pair), slather feet with vaseline first thing in the morning before putting on socks, midway (each day) stop, let feet air out for about ten minutes and put on clean socks, at the first sign of irritation tape the area. I've found the toe socks to be really helpful and, make sure your shoes aren't too tight. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Nicolam , you can probably keep going but with care and some adjustments. On my first camino I had badly infected blisters between and under 3 toes, as well as heel blisters. I continued to walk and it didn't make the infection worse, but it was very uncomfortable. I used topical antibiotics and lots of bandaids - and lambswool wrapped around each toe to provide space and cushioning. I had the lambswool with me already but you may be able to find some in a pharmacia. Breaks help to air the feet, but don't soak them, just take the socks off and let them breathe.

Since then I avoid the problem by using shoes that have good ventilation (basically hiking sandals closed with mesh), and by taping the toes every day with paper surgical tape, and putting tape over areas that tend to blister. And I only occasionally get blisters now. So the Tevas will probably help a lot. Another peregrino introduced me to Omnifix (available at pharmacias) - it's surgical dressing that can be cut to any shape and left in place for a number of days. Unlike Compeed, it breathes.

There's a lot of information here on the forum about blister care; here's a good link though, to give you something inspiring and informative to read about how to best keep going.
Buen camino and ultreia!

I
Thanks very much Keith for your suggestions
Oh wait I have more :) I use & I carried a chunk of bulk moleskin 18"x 30" in my pack, but it is very hard to find in Europe. You can find it in the bigger cities @ farmacia's but not much of it. So if you do find some buy it.

You will need a lighter, needle, sterile gauze, medical tape, triple antibiotic cream. Preferably do this when you reach an alburgue where it is clean. & you can let your feet rest all night.

The blisters must get drained using a needle that has been sterilized ( I use a lighter) then very carfully pierce the blister & drain you will use gauze for this & then dress/ tape with gauze using the antibiotic cream. In the morning cut a piece of moleskin that fits over the blister it has adhesive on 1 side attach directly to the skin.
This will keep you walking.
You can do this as you are walking but you will need a clean place with water to wash your feet before starting the process. The key is hands feet supplies all clean & as sterile as you can make them.
I taught this to many & I now supply my Swedish friends with bulk Moleskin as they continue to return to Spain.
I wish you the best as your feet should be a very high priority.
Keith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walked with my sister a couple of years ago. She got blisters on almost all her toes, her heels and under her feet as well as an infection under the nail in one of her second toes. She got excellent treatment at the medical clinic at Carrión de los Condes.
5103E8DC-4E38-40FE-85BE-0D831CAAFD8E.jpeg
They drained and then injected betadine (povidone-iodine) into all her blisters and the infected toe.:eek: No antibiotics for the infection :eek: but they did give her a referral for the next medical clinic and strict instructions to visit it in two days time. Her blisters were dressed and she rested that evening. The next day she bought a pair of sandals, said goodbye to her boots and kept walking. The Teva sandals were fantastic. The infection cleared in a couple of days. The blisters took longer to heal. The toe nail was very dodgy but despite expectations never did fall off. We made it to Santiago and she still said she loved every step of the way.
Let us know how you go.
Buen camino, peregrina.

Last edited:
Or this: https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/how-to-drain-a-blister

BTW Using antibiotic ointments is a major contributor to the actual antibiotic-resistant bacteria problem (MRSA).
Buen Camino, SY
MRSA has been one of the biggest problems for hospitals especially in the bigger cities at least in the US. So I thought it is worth a bit of discussion because your statement can easily be interpreted wrong concerning antibiotic cream. I cannot speak of other countries & procedures but if you hear me out on how hospital procedure works in the US it will give folks an idea of how MRSA is currently assessed & at least the attempt to treat/contain.

To start most every area in the world that has a hospital has the ability to test for the MRSA levels. I live in MT the levels are way below what you will find in large built up areas. That said occasionally we will get someone who walks in who has high levels of collinization.
Yet they have no issues as they have no open wounds. Yet they are transporting MRSA. What level of drug resistance is the real factor. That said when patients get admitted they get a nasal swab to test for collinization. If it comes back positive there is a body wash of providine/iodine solution & if severe enough, oral /IV meds. So typically the antibiotics most medical professionals refer to when speaking about reducing MRSA drug resistance are from oral/IV drug resistance.
So if you are like me & treat your own blisters you have options of the type of product you want to treat the area with before & after.

I am not sure how one would get the MRSA levels unless you stopped into the hospital labs along the way. Then again each country has different public reporting ....

@Nicolam , you can probably keep going but with care and some adjustments. On my first camino I had badly infected blisters between and under 3 toes, as well as heel blisters. I continued to walk and it didn't make the infection worse, but it was very uncomfortable. I used topical antibiotics and lots of bandaids - and lambswool wrapped around each toe to provide space and cushioning. I had the lambswool with me already but you may be able to find some in a pharmacia. Breaks help to air the feet, but don't soak them, just take the socks off and let them breathe.

Since then I avoid the problem by using shoes that have good ventilation (basically hiking sandals closed with mesh), and by taping the toes every day with paper surgical tape, and putting tape over areas that tend to blister. And I only occasionally get blisters now. So the Tevas will probably help a lot. Another peregrino introduced me to Omnifix (available at pharmacias) - it's surgical dressing that can be cut to any shape and left in place for a number of days. Unlike Compeed, it breathes.

There's a lot of information here on the forum about blister care; here's a good link though, to give you something inspiring and informative to read about how to best keep going.
Buen camino and ultreia!
Thank you so much - very helpful advice. I am walking again and stopping to air my feet regularly. I sent my pack on today to be careful. I have hyperfix and topical antibiotic on the infected toe and walking in my sandals with orthotics in the socks. Bizarre but it seems to be working. I am so happy and feeling very pleased to be on the road again. Your advice is very reassuring.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked with my sister a couple of years ago. She got blisters on almost all her toes, her heels and under her feet as well as an infection under the nail in one of her second toes. She got excellent treatment at the medical clinic at Carrión de los Condes.
View attachment 36518
They drained and then injected betadine (povidone-iodine) into all her blisters and the infected toe.:eek: No antibiotics for the infection :eek: but they did give her a referral for the next medical clinic and strict instructions to visit it in two days time. Her blisters were dressed and she rested that evening. The next day she bought a pair of sandals, said goodbye to her boots and kept walking. The Teva sandals were fantastic. The infection cleared in a couple of days. The blisters took longer to heal. The toe nail was very dodgy but despite expectations never did fall off. We made it to Santiago and she still said she loved every step of the way.
Let us know how you go.
Buen camino, peregrina.
Wow - your sister sounds like a real trooper! Much better today, walking again in my new Teva sandals. They rock! Thanks for sharing your sisters story.

Wow - your sister sounds like a real trooper! Much better today, walking again in my new Teva sandals. They rock! Thanks for sharing your sisters story.
She is. She’s heading off to New Zealand at the end of next month to walk the Te Araroa. I must have been adopted!
So pleased that the Teva sandals are working for you too.

Teva sandals and their like are the lifeboats of the Camino . When the main transport system fails they are a dependable , reliable and comfortable backup . If my pack had been a little lighter I would have walked in mine every day .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I was walking last summer with my son I got a really bad heat rash on my calves which I scratched leading to an infection quite early in the Camino. I got an injection and a prescription for a course of antibiotics which I took while continuing walking. We finished the Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back