• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoping to travel to Spain in Feb as an EU citizen arriving from Canada

F

Former member 91017

Ok... so here's a funny question for those of you who may be more in the know as local inhabitants in Spain.

I am about to receive my new Irish passport and I am on along-term "remote work" arrangement so I am looking at the possibility of heading to the Castille-y-Leon area west of Astorga, roughly to as far west as Ponferrada, to look at properties for sale when I can retire in a few years. I am hopeful that I might find something "now-ish" and start to occupy it most of the year come 2023.

What I am curious to know is whether it is the passport or the place of departure that matters to the Spanish officials as far as quarantining goes. My sense is that one cannot simply land in Madrid and hop a train to Léon for the purposes of quarantining in a hotel there for 2 weeks. But as an EU citizen that might be possible?

I'd like to be able to accomplish as much as possible inside of a month, working remotely and incorporating our winter break time into it (I have almost 2 weeks without any "face-time" duties in February). But if I'd have to stay in Madrid, the cost of 2 weeks doing nothing in a hotel might be prohibitive.

We are entering a "managed second wave" in Canada.... hoping that with increased mobility for younger people back in school, university and college that the virus will lose its virulence in a population least likely to become ill. I suppose we might know if that has been successful by January. Last time I checked, we were something like 27th in the global list for prevalence.

Anyway, I'm just starting to think about this because buying property sight unseen -- no matter how much I adore the photos and descriptions -- seems wildly unwise.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What I am curious to know is whether it is the passport or the place of departure that matters to the Spanish officials as far as quarantining goes.
In addition to what @Tincatinker said and because it's a long read ☺:

You are asking the wrong question.
  • Quarantine: Spain does not have a quarantine for people who travel to Spain. You will need to quarantine only if the Spanish authorities suspect that you are infected at the point of arrival in Spain. Your passports don't not matter. Your point of origin does not matter.
  • Entry into Spain: Because of Covid-19, Spain does not allow everyone to enter the country. These categories of people are allowed to enter (and these categories are relevant for you): habitual residents in the European Union; residents of Canada; [...]. What matters primarily is where you live: you don't live in Ireland but you live in Canada and you can enter Spain in this capacity.
This is the current situation. The situation in February 2021 is not yet known.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In addition to what @Tincatinker said and because it's a long read ☺:

You are asking the wrong question.
  • Quarantine: Spain does not have a quarantine for people who travel to Spain. You will need to quarantine only if the Spanish authorities suspect that you are infected at the point of arrival in Spain. Your passports don't not matter. Your point of origin does not matter.
  • Entry into Spain: Because of Covid-19, Spain does not allow everyone to enter the country. These categories of people are allowed to enter (and these categories are relevant for you): habitual residents in the European Union; residents of Canada; [...]. What matters primarily is where you live: you don't live in Ireland but you live in Canada and you can enter Spain in this capacity.
This is the current situation. The situation in February 2021 is not yet known.

Oh! Thank you for the distinctions and the clear information about what they are currently measuring (residence vs. citizenship). I had thought Spain had a quarantine for those outside certain EU countries, but clearly my information is out of date!
And I shall bookmark the link from @Tincatinker so that I can keep an eye on it as we move closer to when I would like to travel. Getting tickets much in advance seems a spectacularly bad idea this year and so I shall just have to wait...

Well done in getting your Irish passport as it will open new horizons for you in Europe. There is a lot of uncertainty at the moment because of increasing infections in Spain, France and the UK and indeed Ireland. There is going to be an announcement in the UK tomorrow about new restrictions. I heard one commentator say today he would not plan anything until next March, but nothing is certain. However if you follow this forum you will hear from pilgrims on the camino at the moment.

Thank you for the distinctions and the clear information about what they are currently measuring (residence vs. citizenship).
I have to add something to the information in my previous post although it doesn't change anything for you, @Faye Walker. And thanks to no one else than the Consulate of Spain in Toronto in Canada. They provide the clearest information I've seen to date about who can travel to Spain during the Covid-19 health crisis and who can't. The same information can also be found in the relevant Spanish laws but that's more difficult to decipher for me and not only because of my limited Spanish.

Here's a short summary of major points:

SPANISH NATIONALS are entitled to enter Spain at any time, as long as they are duly documented as Spanish citizens (valid passport; passport expired for up to 5 years maximum; national ID card; letter of safe-conduct, etc.)​
EUROPEAN UNION CITIZENS are allowed to enter Spain if they are duly documented (valid passport), no matter the country they are arriving from.​
Example: Irish passport holder living anywhere. A British passport holder still has the same rights in this respect as the holder of a passport of an EU country.​
THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS: There is a list of countries (it includes Canada), which may change over time. Non-EU nationals who arrive from countries on the list and are also residents in those countries (no matter their nationality) are allowed to enter Spain, provided they also fulfil the Schengen entry conditions (90/180 days and Schengen visa if their nationality requires it). People who are not residents in the countries on the list are not eligible to enter Spain. Not even when they are nationals of a country on the list [example: an Australian who lives in Mexico is not allowed to enter Spain].​
To benefit from the exemption, you need to travel from your country of residence to Spain as far as I understand it.​
Third country nationals are nationals who are not EU nationals.​

No quarantine for anyone entering Spain at an airport unless they are detected to be ill with Covid-19.

Spain's list of countries as of 28 August 2020: Australia, Canadá, Georgia, Japón, Nueva Zelanda, Ruanda, Corea del Sur, Tailandia, Túnez, Uruguay, China. The list is currently valid until 30 September 2020 but don't get your hopes up yet. I guess the validity of the list will be prolonged. And prolonged again ... 🤓.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh! Thank you for the distinctions and the clear information about what they are currently measuring (residence vs. citizenship). I had thought Spain had a quarantine for those outside certain EU countries, but clearly my information is out of date!
And I shall bookmark the link from @Tincatinker so that I can keep an eye on it as we move closer to when I would like to travel. Getting tickets much in advance seems a spectacularly bad idea this year and so I shall just have to wait...

Please note that if you flew back to Canada today, you'd have to self-isolate for 14 days. What the situation will be next year is, of course, unknown...

Please note that if you flew back to Canada today, you'd have to self-isolate for 14 days. What the situation will be next year is, of course, unknown...

Yes, I’m aware. I work directly with PHAC as part of my day-to-day profession.

@Kathar1na really helped with some of the nuances I was wondering about, so I’m very grateful for those.

Kmowing what our second wave is going to amount to in terms of consequences of current infections one month from now is an unknown, so anything could happen by February.

And I still owe dear spouse his own Portuguese Camino as we had to cancel his intended for last May.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi. Just wondering how long it took for the Irish passport to arrive, I'm in the process of getting all the certificates together. Hope your're well.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi. Just wondering how long it took for the Irish passport to arrive, I'm in the process of getting all the certificates together. Hope your're well.
I'm still waiting, but it's in process. COV-19is slowing all things down. Getting my original citizenship docs as a foreign registered birth took only about 6 weeks. But that was in an ordinary world.
I should think that by Jan 1 my PP will arrive. It's due in about 2 weeks.

THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS: There is a list of countries (it includes Canada), which may change over time. Non-EU nationals who arrive from countries on the list and are also residents in those countries (no matter their nationality) are allowed to enter Spain, provided they also fulfil the Schengen entry conditions (90/180 days and Schengen visa if their nationality requires it). People who are not residents in the countries on the list are not eligible to enter Spain. Not even when they are nationals of a country on the list [example: an Australian who lives in Mexico is not allowed to enter Spain].​
To benefit from the exemption, you need to travel from your country of residence to Spain as far as I understand it.​
Third country nationals are nationals who are not EU nationals.​

Spain's list of countries as of 28 August 2020: Australia, Canadá, Georgia, Japón, Nueva Zelanda, Ruanda, Corea del Sur, Tailandia, Túnez, Uruguay, China. The list is currently valid until 30 September 2020 but don't get your hopes up yet. I guess the validity of the list will be prolonged. And prolonged again ... 🤓.

Interestingly, the link provided by Tinka does NOT include Canada. It has Canada replaced by China.
"Australia, China, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, Thailand and Uruguay"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Personally, I would hold off on booking any long-haul flights at the mo.
The internet is rife with reports of people having their flights cancelled, often last minute, and then experiencing huge frustration in trying to contact the airline for a refund.
There have also been reports of some airlines advertising flights online, knowing full-well beforehand that they won't be operating.
If you do decide to go ahead with your trip, I would check the airline's reviews to see how they have been treating their customers recently.
Have heard excellent reports about Qatar Air delivering on their promise of a refund or flight ticket transfer if a flight is cancelled due to COVID. Would be a long couple of flights for you though.
If you do decide to go then Buen Camino! :)
And ONLY book directly with the airline. You don't want to have to deal with a third party agent who may charge a fee if the flight is cancelled and they have to process a refund.

Yep... I’m just getting my PP because I want it.
Doesn’t look at present like I will be able to get to Spain before 2022.
But I want my EU papers because I don‘t want to have to apply for the visa that is coming in 2022... because I think I would rather retire in the EU (I’d love to be in Ireland but it seems unlikely) than in Canada...
I know as well as anyone that nothing is solid now.
I’m still aware that my PP is a great privilege and that I’d be foolish not to be holding that option for myself (and family).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have heard excellent reports about Qatar Air delivering on their promise of a refund or flight ticket transfer if a flight is cancelled due to COVID. Would be a long couple of flights for you though.
If you do decide to go then Buen Camino! :)
I think that any female passenger would be very unwise to travel with Qatar since the very recent disgusting incident involving a significant number of female passengers who transitted in Doha.

Last edited:
I have dual citizenship with Ireland, and I think it is a good idea to have options. Personally, I will not travel internationally until I can get vaccinated. I do like the additional safety measures being adopted in this announcement by United, First United Airlines Flight Offering Free Transatlantic COVID-19 Testing Takes Off. The airlines are struggling and this might become more of a trend. I would only book directly with the airline of your choice. :D :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back