• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoping to walk again.....

sabbott

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Ponferrada) 2016
Camino Invierno 2016
Hello again, Camino friends! I've been off the Forum for months, but have been thinking about the Camino every day as I continue to paint and write from my memories of the Frances and Invierno in 2016. I was planning to hike from Porto to Santiago last fall--and to hike a Camino every year for the forseeable future--but I had to cancel at the last minute because of a problem with my knee that put me in a wheelchair for three months. Now I am walking again, but my knee's not right (stiff and sore.) The diagnosis is osteoarthritis, with the possibility of a knee replacement in one to three years.

I feel blindsided by having this chronic problem that's limiting my mobility. I'm afraid I'll never be able to walk a Camino, or even hike five miles, again. Not rational, maybe, but that's my fear.

I could use some advice from any of you that's had osteoarthritis, or another chronic joint problem. I don't need medical advice so much as if or how you continued walking in the face of a serious joint problem. Specifically,

--Have any of you kept walking with osteoarthritis? Did it help the condition, or increase your symptoms?
--Have any of you walked a Camino after a knee replacement? How long after the operation were you hiking?

BTW, I didn't have any problems with my knee when I walked 600 miles, this coincided with starting a running program. Maybe running up hills at age 65 wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done...

Thanks for any advice or encouragement you can offer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am going to butt in, although I do not qualify. Except I have a very gammy knee. Gammy in the sense that I cannot trust it. And it sends out a message to its pal... I think you have great spirit and I bet you a pound to a penny that you WILL walk a camino again.. chin up!!!

I suspect you will be Camino-fit again. After repairs and rehab, though, you may have to drastically modify your expectations. The days of 20 km stages may be over. There is nothing wrong with 5 km stages, so mentally prepare for them. Good luck with regaining your mobility.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) in June of 2016 and even though I did not recover nearly the range of motion most patients do, I hiked for 10 days on the Camino Frances last spring, less than 11 months after my surgery. I am also from Vermont and my surgery was performed at Copley Hospital in Morrisville using a prosthesis customized to the dimensions of my knee. I can furnish more info about my surgeon and why I elected his practice if you wish, just PM me or look up a very recent article in the Free Press about Mansfield Orthopedics.

I usually ski all winter and know literally a dozen or more fellow skiers who are skiing on new knees. The initial recovery time is usually about three months, the first of which is rather grueling. That recovery time is highly dependent. Some lucky patients are doing long bike rides and even skiing well before then. That is a small minority, however. And the total recovery time for all swelling to subside is usually about a year. Skiing (and maybe long-distance hiking with a 15-20lb. pack) puts a lot of stress on the knees and I was advised to wait 6 months before resuming my skiing.

Hope this helps. If you'd like more info PM me.

Tom

Last edited:
I am going to butt in, although I do not qualify. Except I have a very gammy knee. Gammy in the sense that I cannot trust it. And it sends out a message to its pal... I think you have great spirit and I bet you a pound to a penny that you WILL walk a camino again.. chin up!!!
Thank you, that means a lot to me.

Thank you got this information, Tom. I will message you. I’m doing PT and hoping that my knee gets better over time, but also don’t want to lose years waiting.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I empathize with you @sabbott regarding your wish to walk the camino again, and not knowing if it will happen. I have recently been diagnosed with 'mild' osteoarthritis - in my hip - so recently that there's not yet been any talk of a replacement. And, of course, I don't know how quickly my disease may progress. Thank you for starting this thread as I have been wondering if there are people who walk with 'mild' osteoarthritis. I have noticed that I can no longer carry the weight on my back that I used to carry quite easily.

From what others have posted it seems that walking again post-surgery looks to be quite promising and I certainly hope that is the case with you.

In the meantime, if another Camino is not in my destiny, I pray for the ability to accept that with good grace.

All the very best to you. :)

Most people have little difficulty after the initial recovery from replacement surgery. My sister had a double knee replacement 10 years ago. She made sure she did all of the exercises...that is key...do not baby yourself and take the medication given for Physical Therapy. WE often walk 3 or 4, 20 k days in a row before shortening our walk. Those bio knees are fantastic as long as you do not try running or jumping on them. Why put off the surgery?Get an excellent surgeon who does a lot of them.

When I walked the Frances in 2006 I met an Australian woman prob in her 40's who walked the entire route on double hip replacements. Daypack only though, 2 hiking poles. 20 to 25 km per day.
She was very slim. I think bodyweight is a key and strong muscles to reduce pressure on joints.
I put on weight after breaking my foot on the Geneva route and now my R knee is giving me problems. Challenge to shift the weight in your 60s....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @sabbott - I developed early onset osteoarthritis in my right knee a couple of years ago. Since I was in my mid- late-40’s the thinking at the time was it was a partially torn miniscus. Nope, arthritis is was. I tried a couple of options but what I’ve settled on is periodic cortisone injections and a custom fit offloading kneebrace (happy to give you details if you want) that movs the weight more from my medial compartment to my lateral compartment. I won’t say it is pain-free but I can manage the pain of long distance walking with a cocktail of ibuprofen and Tylenol for Arthritis. My GP has told me my end game will be a new knee as the cortisone will have progressively less effect each time I use it ( about 10-11 months between injections so far). After discussing at length with my wife, I decided to live my life the way I wanted to live it so rather than ‘save my knee’ for as long as possible I’ve opted to walk as long and far as I can... and when I can’t walk anymore I’ll sign up for the new knee and then walk as long and far as that one will take me. I don’t know where that game ends but at least I know I won’t look back with regrets about adventures missed. Your decisions will be unique to you but I hope whichever decision you make you will be at peace with it. Good luck and Buen Camino.

Thank you got this information, Tom. I will message you. I’m doing PT and hoping that my knee gets better over time, but also don’t want to lose years waiting.

I also did PT first and my excellent therapists didn't think a knee replacement would be necessary. But as my surgeon later said, not really criticizing the therapists, they didn't have the benefit of examining my X-rays and eventual MRI. BTW I have arthritis in both knees but some form of earlier injury to one knee in my 20s plus the arthritis resulted in swelling and stiffness in my "bad knee" after vigorous exercise.

Tom

OK, I have had some experience with knee problems. 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my right knee, one on the left. Far as I am concerned they accomplished nothing but giving me a lot of pain. Since then, I have had the right knee replaced, the last in late November. Most folks do not have these problems, I am quick to note. Numbers 1 and 5 were because the glue failed and the knees moved around. I am hoping that this one works. Had planned the Frances in April/May...now looking at Sept/Oct. My advice is to follow all instructions to the letter and do NOT give up!

Forgot to mention...also tried Synvisc, an artificial collogen. Knee swole up like a watermelon was hiding inside. Not good!

Not to scare you. Most folks get one replacement and that is al they need. Just bad luck on my part, I guess.

Hello, I had total hip replacement on both my right and left hips in 2006. I started in Pamplona September and arrived in Santiago de Compostela the end of October 2017. Hardest thing I have ever done but it was done. Having my hips replaced was when I started hiking. Since weight was mentioned earlier I will let you know I weigh 300 pounds. I wish I weighed 180, but I do not.

Oh, @sabbott , I'm so sorry to hear this! I loved your comments when you were walking and after, and pray you'll be back on Camino soon!!

I have osteoarthritis in both knees - and everywhere else except hips (so far). About seven years ago, I was told by an orthopedist I'd need my knees replaced. Instead, with approval and advice from my primary physician, I started physical therapy and added more stretches and strength training at the YMCA gym with help from a personal trainer. I also moved out of my 4th floor walk-up to a place with an elevator, avoided stairs for awhile, but continued walking a few miles a day - up hill and down - gently, and started acupuncture on the knees.

One of the physical therapists taught me about iliotibial band syndrome, and gave me a good stretch to help loosen them up - which I still do most days. The acupuncturist agreed that mine were very tight, and were probably affecting the knee problem. She included treatment for the IT bands with the knee acupuncture.

By the beginning of 2013, I knew I was going to walk the Camino Frances. My knees had improved considerably, and I started my first Camino in late September. I walked over the Pyrenees, O Cebreiro, and past the Cruz de Ferro (and on to El Acebo, but not from there to Molinaseca - went by car). I did not walk in some other places that seemed steep, nor did I walk into and out of the larger cities -- all to save wear & tear on my knees. I also used bag transport about 1/3 of the time. I took rest days every week. I used Arnica gel (a natural anti-inflammatory) on my knees and feet twice a day, and took 1 gm paracetamol once or twice a day (never more that that). I walked into Santiago 42 days later, and got my first Compostela. One year later, I walked the Frances again avoiding the cities, carrying my pack (16 lbs) all the way during 60 days.

Now there is occasionally some pain, but it's manageable with Arnica, continue stretches, work outs, and hopefully, being sensible.

However - we are all different. Our physical problems are different. I can only say, all this, over time, worked for me. I'm now 73, still walking as much as possible, and I still have the knees I was born with - though they are occasionally painful, and I rest them when they are. I'm hoping to maybe, if possible, hopefully, walk the Camino del Salvador this Fall, after I walk Hadrian's Wall Path, and the Camino Inglés for the second time. I hope.

All the best @sabbott - Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello again, Camino friends! Thanks for any advice or encouragement you can offer!

Sabbott , I feel your pain "Literally" ,Ive been 2x on the Camino in two years ( 2014 & 2016) and have made it all the way to Logrono from St Jean. ( being facetious here) , My left knee has stopped me both times because of arthritis and injury . I finished an operation & rehab a couple months ago and am sporting a knee brace now. I have a limp and in slight to moderate pain which I ice away after I walk . The question is " How to finish my Camino which I think of seven times a week , 16 hrs each day". Like you said most likely a knee replacement . My goal is to restart in Logrono in Sept 2018 . Will it happen? Only the shadow knows. Keep plugging .. Joe

Like I tried to at earlier, you are the only person who can judge if you can make it. But far better to have tried to walk the Camino and had to stop than to sit at home and say "I can't do it, so will not try". As John Wayne said, "don't like quitters", so keep plugging away. If you need a new knee, you will know. There will be no doubt in your mind! I GOT FAITH IN YOU, AMIGO!!

Hi Sabott, I understand your anxiety because I have had similar bouts of worry and doubt about being able to ever do another hike, backpack trip, or Camino. I am 76 and am planning our 15th walk on Camino trails this year. I have walked more than 3,000 Camino miles over time, but as usual I have some challenges going on. I won't give you the full recital, but l have an apparently ongoing issue with my left leg (for which occasional steroid injections are working) and a new issue with upper back muscle pain. If it isn't one dang thing it's another!!
I read several good suggestions above and hope you find some of them useful--I do encourage hiking poles, training but making increases in distances, etc. very gradually, setbacks are pretty upsetting (at least to me), but not usually the end of the world as we tend to think, keep weight down (yours and what you carry). I really like the help that Ibuprofen offers, but unfortunately can no longer take it.
Everyone is different, of course, so none of us knows how it will go. I, too, have often wondered if there is life beyond hiking and the Camino and we all know there is, but it is special to us and hard to face what we sometimes have to accept. Funny thing, back when I was having knee problems--at age 45--I did write in my journal about my fears that I would have to give up hiking. Now, even with mild arthritis, I am able to continue hiking with rarely a twinge in my knees. Feel free to PM me if you are interested. I wish the best for you.
This quote helps when I am fretting about one thing or another: 'I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.' ... Attributed to Mark Twain in Reader's Digest, Apr. 1934.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suspect you will be Camino-fit again. After repairs and rehab, though, you may have to drastically modify your expectations. The days of 20 km stages may be over. There is nothing wrong with 5 km stages, so mentally prepare for them. Good luck with regaining your mobility.
Thank you for writing, Falcon. A 5 km max would be a hard one for me to accept! 15 km, ok, that distance gives you a daily rhythm of covering some ground and getting somewhere...Have you had the experience of limited ability to walk distance after repairs and rehab? Seems like there's not a norm, from what folks are writing here.

I empathize with you @sabbott regarding your wish to walk the camino again, and not knowing if it will happen. I have recently been diagnosed with 'mild' osteoarthritis - in my hip - so recently that there's not yet been any talk of a replacement. And, of course, I don't know how quickly my disease may progress. Thank you for starting this thread as I have been wondering if there are people who walk with 'mild' osteoarthritis. I have noticed that I can no longer carry the weight on my back that I used to carry quite easily.

From what others have posted it seems that walking again post-surgery looks to be quite promising and I certainly hope that is the case with you.

In the meantime, if another Camino is not in my destiny, I pray for the ability to accept that with good grace.

All the very best to you. :)
Thank for this, Icacos! My husband had a total hip replacement, and he's had great results with it. I've also read that walking can help against osteoarthritis. The inclination is to baby a joint in pain by not moving it, but that's not the right way to go from what I'm reading. https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/features/knee-pain-walk#1

Most people have little difficulty after the initial recovery from replacement surgery. My sister had a double knee replacement 10 years ago. She made sure she did all of the exercises...that is key...do not baby yourself and take the medication given for Physical Therapy. WE often walk 3 or 4, 20 k days in a row before shortening our walk. Those bio knees are fantastic as long as you do not try running or jumping on them. Why put off the surgery?Get an excellent surgeon who does a lot of them.
Encouraging advice, thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I walked the Frances in 2006 I met an Australian woman prob in her 40's who walked the entire route on double hip replacements. Daypack only though, 2 hiking poles. 20 to 25 km per day.
She was very slim. I think bodyweight is a key and strong muscles to reduce pressure on joints.
I put on weight after breaking my foot on the Geneva route and now my R knee is giving me problems. Challenge to shift the weight in your 60s....
Yes, weight is key on those poor delicate knees...I notice my knee hurts more when I'm carrying a heavy bag of groceries. I am hoping I can carry my beloved 15 lb. backpack again, though. We'll see.

Hi Sabott, I understand your anxiety because I have had similar bouts of worry and doubt about being able to ever do another hike, backpack trip, or Camino. I am 76 and am planning our 15th walk on Camino trails this year. I have walked more than 3,000 Camino miles over time, but as usual I have some challenges going on. I won't give you the full recital, but l have an apparently ongoing issue with my left leg (for which occasional steroid injections are working) and a new issue with upper back muscle pain. If it isn't one dang thing it's another!!
This is wonderful advice, Backpack45. Really encouraging. You are right and so is Mark Twain, no use worrying, better to work at getting stronger, including with thoughts toward the future.

Like I tried to at earlier, you are the only person who can judge if you can make it. But far better to have tried to walk the Camino and had to stop than to sit at home and say "I can't do it, so will not try". As John Wayne said, "don't like quitters", so keep plugging away. If you need a new knee, you will know. There will be no doubt in your mind! I GOT FAITH IN YOU, AMIGO!!
Lurch, thank you for this!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, @sabbott , I'm so sorry to hear this! I loved your comments when you were walking and after, and pray you'll be back on Camino soon!!

I have osteoarthritis in both knees - and everywhere else except hips (so far). About seven years ago, I was told by an orthopedist I'd need my knees replaced. Instead, with approval and advice from my primary physician, I started physical therapy and added more stretches and strength training at the YMCA gym with help from a personal trainer. I also moved out of my 4th floor walk-up to a place with an elevator, avoided stairs for awhile, but continued walking a few miles a day - up hill and down - gently, and started acupuncture on the knees.
OTH86, thank you, this is very helpful and encouraging. I'll look into the exercises you mention. One thing I'm finding challenging is knowing whether an exercise is too much and will hurt a compromised joint, or whether pushing through some stiffness and pain will be strengthening. Running and rowing full-out seem to have damaged my knee, so now the plan is to do PT, and building up to walking longer distances slowly. If things aren't better--not perfect, but better--in a year, then there's the option of surgery. Thanks, forum friends, for helping me think this through.

Hello, I had total hip replacement on both my right and left hips in 2006. I started in Pamplona September and arrived in Santiago de Compostela the end of October 2017. Hardest thing I have ever done but it was done. Having my hips replaced was when I started hiking. Since weight was mentioned earlier I will let you know I weigh 300 pounds. I wish I weighed 180, but I do not.
Congratulations, Mark, what an accomplishment!

Have you had the experience of limited ability to walk distance after repairs and rehab?
I had torn a Achilles tendon on one walk. I stopped to ice it every two hours. Bartenders were very cooperative; I only had to supply the ice bag and they supplied the ice. I used MBT rocker bottom boots to keep the tendon mechanically aligned. I have Parkinson's and arthritis in both ankles. My wife had a knee replacement two months ago, and needs the other one done. For a month she swore that she never would have the second one done. However, as the knee felt better every day, she remembered that without the operation, it would have felt worse each day for the rest of her life. Now she is planning the second one next year!

However, in general my comment was about changing one's expectations as one ages. As I under-trained a bit more each camino, I adopted the attitude that the first couple of weeks were training weeks that would replace the training I should have done at home. Eventually, I thought, I would arrive at journeyman condition and do the occasional 30 kilometer stage. As I aged, I realized that the end result of the training would be reduced endurance, and even 20 to 25 kilometer days were in my past. It could ruin the experience if I dwelt on the "usta" (I usta walk for ten hours. I usta stay up all night, then walk all day. You get it.) So I now settle for what I can do. I have a great time, and meet more people as they pass me never to be seen again. Everyone is like the bicyclists used to be! It may not be for everyone. A physical challenge is an important part of a camino for some. The "camino family" is an important part of a camino for some. Refusing to age gracefully is an important part of life for some. Going gentle into that good night feels like cowardice for some (Dylan Thomas for one).

I do not think that anyone should walk a camino if it is not fun. It is just one of many optional activities in life. When it causes more anxiety that pleasure, it is time to hang up the trekking poles.:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, weight is key on those poor delicate knees...

Since weight is key, have you considered using a walking trailer, like the Wheelie made by Radical Design? You can load it with all the gear you need (up to 40 kg) and the trailer takes care of all the weight. That's quite a load off your knees. Read more on these trailers in this thread.

Last edited:
Not sure that I can offer anything other than share my story as you have here.

In 2016, my left IT Band blew out, just before Zubiri, 3rd day on the Camino. I had to leave at that point. It took 8 months to get to an orthopedic specialist. This last Summer was wasted culminating in no diagnosis. This last week, I had seen the Specialist again and have had a second untrasound due to further injury coming up during my walking training over the warm months.

I decided that, without a diagnosis, or treatment, I had to get out and start walking. From Apr 20/17 to early Nov / 17, I walked every day, for a total of 1,350,000 steps, or 938 km, enough to have walked from SJPdP to Finisterre.

So, though it took six months and I started at only 2,500 steps per day, I know I can walk at least 4 to 5 km per hour at a time, and likely do that enough times to maintain 25 to 30 km / day.

Now, though I still have no diagnosis, I do have a treatment plan that will start in a few weeks. This has allowed me to begin to plan for a return to the Camino, start again at SJPdP on May 6/18, Mother's Day. In fact, I can leave on May 4 (be with You).

My first try was supposed to culminate in placing my Mother's ashes in the sea at Finisterre, "after," completing the Camino. My return is to complete the promise.

Am I concerned about how my leg will perform? Yes, but I am not going to allow this limitation to stop me from doing what I want, no, need to do.

I reach retirement age in one week. I am no longer on anyone's clock but my own. And helping people do the same for themselves is a tonic in itself. That is what I do three days a week, giving me 4 day weekends, every weekend. If you know anyone who wants that level of life freedom, I am always here to help.

Hello again, Camino friends! I've been off the Forum for months, but have been thinking about the Camino every day as I continue to paint and write from my memories of the Frances and Invierno in 2016. I was planning to hike from Porto to Santiago last fall--and to hike a Camino every year for the forseeable future--but I had to cancel at the last minute because of a problem with my knee that put me in a wheelchair for three months. Now I am walking again, but my knee's not right (stiff and sore.) The diagnosis is osteoarthritis, with the possibility of a knee replacement in one to three years.

I feel blindsided by having this chronic problem that's limiting my mobility. I'm afraid I'll never be able to walk a Camino, or even hike five miles, again. Not rational, maybe, but that's my fear.

I could use some advice from any of you that's had osteoarthritis, or another chronic joint problem. I don't need medical advice so much as if or how you continued walking in the face of a serious joint problem. Specifically,

--Have any of you kept walking with osteoarthritis? Did it help the condition, or increase your symptoms?
--Have any of you walked a Camino after a knee replacement? How long after the operation were you hiking?

BTW, I didn't have any problems with my knee when I walked 600 miles, this coincided with starting a running program. Maybe running up hills at age 65 wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done...

@sabbot thank you so much for your post. And thanks to everyone for their responses. I thought I was alone in that I couldn’t walk the Camino this year due to knee problems.
I walked the CF in August/September 2016. The knee was aching and it got really stiff after the walk into Monalesca. I made to to Santiago on October 1.
After seeing an orthopedic surgeon, the insurance company wouldn’t cover the MRI. I got a cortisone shot in both knees.? (Yes, both knees sing to me their ouchies.) This helped for 6months.
Finally, in August 2017, I had a meniscus tear repair on my left knee. After 2weeks of PT, we pack up and moved from Georgia to New Mexico. Driving for 4 days was hard on the knee. And plantar frasciitis and the right foot doesn’t help either.
We had planned a September 2017 Camino. But my knees and feet said ‘ain’t happening’.
To get healthier,I went on the Whole30 diet at the recommendation of a functional medicine practitioner. I’ve lost 25 pounds! And feel much better.
The positive attitude of the pilgrims on this forum has really encouraged to to get out there and get my strength back!
No more pity party for me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OTH86, thank you, this is very helpful and encouraging. I'll look into the exercises you mention. One thing I'm finding challenging is knowing whether an exercise is too much and will hurt a compromised joint, or whether pushing through some stiffness and pain will be strengthening.
Remembering we are all different and react to therapies in different ways, the advice that worked for me was to stretch and exercise to the point of pain, then stop. I found that worked, and that I was able to make continual progress. I did stretches and yoga every morning - now it is every couple of days, and worked out twice a week, now it's once, maybe twice a week. My body needs to rest a bit between workouts.
Best of luck!

Hi there
Sorry to hear about your knee problem. I too have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and am also told that I will need a knee replacement in 3-4 years time. I’ve had periods when walking has really hurt my knee and I always carry a knee support with me and put it on the moment I get any trouble. On the advice of my rheumatologist I take Glucosamine daily. I am beginning my Camino on March 11th. But will limit the number of miles I do each day, the longest day will be 15 miles, but most days will be between 10-12 miles a day and in the Pyraneese I’m doing around 6-10 miles a day. I’m also having a rest day every seven days. I don’t know if I will succeed but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I don’t care how long it takes me, months perhaps!
“And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, give me a light that I may tread safely onto the unknown; and he replied, Go out into the darkness and put your hand in the hand of God. That shall be better than light and safer than a known way” (Minnie Louise Hoskins 1875-1957)
I wish you well and a bien Camino, Susan

You have lots of advice here, and I will add my little bit. I had a hip joint replacement in Feb 2006 at the age of 75, although I had arranged to go trekking in Nepal in October. I did everything I could to recover quickly, which meant lots of all the exercises that the hospital physiotherapists recommended, and also a week in a rehab hospital. At the end of each day I was exhausted, but I walked out of rehab with just a walking stick, and discarded that a week later. I went to Nepal and trekked (carrying a pack as I did not go in a group, just with a guide/friend) in Oct and Nov, followed by more trekking in Feb and Mar. And trekking in Nepal is a whole lot physically harder than the Camino. So I think the key is to have the operation sooner rather than wait until you can no longer walk, get a good surgeon, and exercise. I know that a knee op is more complicated than a hip, but the three recommendations I suggest still stand. I have also walked about 4500kms on Caminos 2010 - 2015

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Let me start by saying that I am not a medical anything but I do have osteo arthritis in my hip and fingers. I was a competative rower and quite fit. I walked funny, had a horrible painful time going up one flight of stairs and ached all the time. After visiting several doc’s, the consensus was replace the hip when you can’t stand the pain any more, and use pain management drugs in the interum. 6 years later, without the hip replacement, I am hiking the Canadian Rockies, rowing again, boxing, you get the picture. The change? I did research online and read the latest studies on osteo arthritis and came up with a program that works for me (emphasis).
I quit training for racing (opposing muscles were not developed enough) and started walking, boxing and pilates. Yoga was too hard on the hip joint, so that was eliminated. I started taking daily doses of bio-identical type 2 chicken collagen, magnesium, vit a (high dose) and corcumin with black pepper. After a few months the pain subsided to rarely, my gate improved and I was able to run up my stairs. This doesn’t work for everyone but it did for me. Also, you have to strengthen the muscles above and below the joint. The more you sit the worst the knee will be.
I will be walking my first Camino the fall. Good luck.

Hope I can add a word of encouragement re “Gimby knees, hips, etc”. I hiked a 150 miles of the Camino in late May and early June (2017) over a 10 day period. I am 78 and have had two hip replacement surgeries on my right hip in 2005 and 2014. I had no problems with my joints - hips, knees, etc. With proper conditioning before hiking I felt ready to handle 6, 15 or 20 miles a day. So, it is possible. I am going back again in the next couple of years and doing at least 150 to 200 miles. The experience was so worth it I must go back again - at least one more time. I know you can’t “step into the same river twice” (Heraclitus) - but the Camino is never over! In fact in the next month I am going to have revision surgery on the same hip again because it recently dislocated due to a problem called metalosis — But this next revision will cure that — so, after a few months of conditioning I feel confident I will be able to do it again.
So, go for it!!!!! As you already know it is an experience unlike any other in life!

Hi Sabbott. Sorry to hear about your injury. I injured myself on my first Camino (El Norte) in October 2016, Ilia tibial band/knee. I couldn't do my normal hiking for 7 months. I normally hike twice a week for 2-5 hours all uphill as I live in volcano country. I had a knee replacement in 2012 and climb volcanoes!!! so you can do the Camino if you get a good surgeon and do your therapy religiously. My other knee hurts but not as bad probably because the one they operated one was due to a torn ACL when skiing years ago. Yes, I too have osteoarthritis. A lot of this is mind control. Meditation helps a lot, but the gym is essential to keep the leg muscles strong for knee stability. I have a trainer at the gym three times a week, hike twice a week and swim once or twice a week, and I am 73 years old. I have had back problems since I was 20! so I know what pain is about and what a struggle it is. You can do whatever you set yourself out to do. If I can do it, you can. I did the Camino Norte and then down to Leon to finish on the Frances (which I didn't like) in Sept-Oct 2016 and had my surgery in 2012. However I didn't start hiking until 2015 but was always active. With the right surgery and therapy you should be able to do a Camino within a year if not sooner. I live by two mottos: "Never Give Up" Churchill and "Keep on moving no matter how much it hurts." Buen camino

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi sabbott, I also think of the Camino everyday and feel your pain. My husband and I commenced Camino Frances in April 2016. We were thoroughly enjoying our walk until a phone call we received whilst in Burgos meant we had to return home to Australia immediately. We booked to complete our Camino for March 2017. In December 2016 I had a knee arthroscopy to deal with a torn medial meniscus. My surgeon assured me that 3 months would be ample time for rehabilitation. This was certainly not the case. We cancelled our trip at the beginning of March as there was no way I'd be able to walk 500km. Bitter disappointment is an understatement. It is now a year since my operation and my knee is worse than it was pre surgery. I still walk daily and attend gym classes but am in constant pain. We are due to return to Spain in March this year to complete our Camino. I am inspired by some of your stories, particularly as I am only 54 years old.

Hi sabbott, I also think of the Camino everyday and feel your pain. My husband and I commenced Camino Frances in April 2016. We were thoroughly enjoying our walk until a phone call we received whilst in Burgos meant we had to return home to Australia immediately. We booked to complete our Camino for March 2017. In December 2016 I had a knee arthroscopy to deal with a torn medial meniscus. My surgeon assured me that 3 months would be ample time for rehabilitation. This was certainly not the case. We cancelled our trip at the beginning of March as there was no way I'd be able to walk 500km. Bitter disappointment is an understatement. It is now a year since my operation and my knee is worse than it was pre surgery. I still walk daily and attend gym classes but am in constant pain. We are due to return to Spain in March this year to complete our Camino. I am inspired by some of your stories, particularly as I am only 54 years old.
I definitely feel your pain. I also had knee surgery in August to repair a torn meniscus. It’s weak, stiff, and it does ache. My other knee hurts worse. I can’t walk much because of severe plantar fraiiscitis. We cancelled out 2017 camino. I am broken hearted to say that our 2018 Camino is on hold pending the health of my knees. I will start with massage therapy next on my foot and knees. Once the foot is better, I’ll be able to walk more than 2 miles at a time to begin strengthening the knees.

I definitely feel your pain. I also had knee surgery in August to repair a torn meniscus. It’s weak, stiff, and it does ache. My other knee hurts worse. I can’t walk much because of severe plantar fraiiscitis. We cancelled out 2017 camino. I am broken hearted to say that our 2018 Camino is on hold pending the health of my knees. I will start with massage therapy next on my foot and knees. Once the foot is better, I’ll be able to walk more than 2 miles at a time to begin strengthening the knees.
I wish you all the best Karen. Our 2018 Camino is also looking like it may be put on hold.

I wish you all the best Karen. Our 2018 Camino is also looking like it may be put on hold.
It’s hard to stay home when your heart and soul wants and needs to walk the Camino. I yearn to walk the Camino. I miss the calm single mindedness I feel on the Camino. I miss the camaraderie, the pulpo, and the peace of mind the Camino brings to me. I miss just walking. I read Camino books and follow this forum and Camino pages on Facebook. I hope to walk in the Fall of this year. But it’s not likely to happen.

I'm glad you're returning to finish, pain or no pain! Best of luck and keep us posted.

It’s hard to stay home when your heart and soul wants and needs to walk the Camino. I yearn to walk the Camino. I miss the calm single mindedness I feel on the Camino. I miss the camaraderie, the pulpo, and the peace of mind the Camino brings to me. I miss just walking. I read Camino books and follow this forum and Camino pages on Facebook. I hope to walk in the Fall of this year. But it’s not likely to happen.
I know how you feel. I just can't wait to get back this fall. I am hoping to do the San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo, hit the Sept festival there and visit a Spanish Camino friend. Then I really want to do the Primitivo, but the olde body won't cooperate I'll just finish the second half of the Norte which I loved. Perhaps we will meet this fall. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Life is the exploration for the evolving nexus of our physical limitations and the intensity of our will. ( I made that one up myself. :) ) Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sabbott , I feel your pain "Literally" ,Ive been 2x on the Camino in two years ( 2014 & 2016) and have made it all the way to Logrono from St Jean. ( being facetious here) , My left knee has stopped me both times because of arthritis and injury . I finished an operation & rehab a couple months ago and am sporting a knee brace now. I have a limp and in slight to moderate pain which I ice away after I walk . The question is " How to finish my Camino which I think of seven times a week , 16 hrs each day". Like you said most likely a knee replacement . My goal is to restart in Logrono in Sept 2018 . Will it happen? Only the shadow knows. Keep plugging .. Joe

Whatcha think? You gonna make it?

Hola, sabbott,

As a member of Invierno alumni group on this forum I remember and enjoyed your posts from the way. And as a person who suffered from (different though) medical issues I can feel you. I admit I wasn't reading all the postings in your thread because I believe I don't have to. I'll try to explain in short and most possible it won't give you any advice re-knees (sauna??? - it helped me) but maybe just some good wishes and encouragement from a fellow pilgrim/long distance walker...

I got over my knee problems. Got them injured years ago while climbing. But that's history. What happened to me two years ago is being without job and therefore without income. And then all of a sudden one morning I couldn't get out of my bed. I went through all kinds of orthopaedic tests until the doctors said it was nerve damage. L5 something, I don't even care anymore. It was almost one year for me to walk normally again. I don't know if I'm ready to walk another Camino which I so longed for but I WILL go to Spain this spring and walk it. Thanks to the very special thing that happened to me. Kind of a personal lottery. Apart from this my father suffered two brain strokes last year and he's recovering just well with all our help. As I wrote in another thread my father might not understand what this Camino fixation really is for me but he loves me and he said to go. My mom and my sis said the same.

Where there's the will there's the way!

Keep on, sabbott!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I am unsure of your location so I do not know if STEM CELL REPLACEMENT THERAPY is available to you.
I am not a medical practioner nor am I advocating Stem Cell Replacement.
However, I met a woman who was beginning Stem Cell Replacement for her knee. She told me that it requires several treatments but after all is done the damaged or absent cartilage will be replaced via this treatment. Thus no invasive surgery being required.

I know what osteoarthritis feels like. When mine starts chewing on me I have found a bit of Voltaren helps. I avoid all other pharmaceuticals if at all possible until the day my other fixes fail.
I have also found yoga to be beneficial. Especially Zen-type wherein a rubber ball is used to open lymph glands.

Good health to you with your healing and your future Caminos.

MM

I am unsure of your location so I do not know if STEM CELL REPLACEMENT THERAPY is available to you.
I am not a medical practioner nor am I advocating Stem Cell Replacement.
However, I met a woman who was beginning Stem Cell Replacement for her knee. She told me that it requires several treatments but after all is done the damaged or absent cartilage will be replaced via this treatment. Thus no invasive surgery being required.

I know what osteoarthritis feels like. When mine starts chewing on me I have found a bit of Voltaren helps. I avoid all other pharmaceuticals if at all possible until the day my other fixes fail.
I have also found yoga to be beneficial. Especially Zen-type wherein a rubber ball is used to open lymph glands.

Good health to you with your healing and your future Caminos.

MM
My former neighbor is having stem cell therapy for severe back problems. He couldn’t even stand up for more than ten months minutes without having to squat down to take the pressure and reduce the pain in his back. He’s having success though the process is a long one.
He recommends that you do a lot of research before committing to a particular practitioner. He said there are fraud clinics that just shoot saline in your body and others who don’t know what they’re doing. There are legit docs out there who are actually helping people heal. Just be very careful and do your research on stem cell therapy.

My former neighbor is having stem cell therapy for severe back problems. He couldn’t even stand up for more than ten months minutes without having to squat down to take the pressure and reduce the pain in his back. He’s having success though the process is a long one.
He recommends that you do a lot of research before committing to a particular practitioner. He said there are fraud clinics that just shoot saline in your body and others who don’t know what they’re doing. There are legit docs out there who are actually helping people heal. Just be very careful and do your research on stem cell therapy.
Oh, I think you may have misunderstood my post. :)
I am not looking for Stem Cell Replacement Therapy.
I was informing the original poster of this alternative.
But thanks for your concern and of course wackos abound in all phases of everything.

Welcome back @sabbott , and much empathy coming to you about the challenge of injury.
Like @kirkie, I don't really qualify, though I'm no stranger to knee pain. But by now you've received some encouraging replies, and I hope you can see that there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

The biggest challenge when there is injury (for me anyway) is patience - and keeping a positive attitude when things go slowly, not at all, or even seem to be going backwards.

Do you have access to a pool? Running or working out in the pool is a boon when injury makes other things impossible. I've done that as a runner (once upon a time...) and was always pleasantly surprised at the excellent fitness on the other end of that.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.