• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hoping to walk Santiago to Finnisterre and or Muxia soon

roamingpaddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi I should reach Santiago tomorrow Thursday 24th September and I am keen to walk to Finnisterra and or Muxia. Some folk say walk to Finnisterra,others say walk to Muxia and others say do the two. I will have 7 days do it before my flight on Oct 2nd. I would be greatful for suggestions please

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've not been to Muxia but did walk to Finnisterre in 2017 and it was well worth it Paddy. If I was doing it again I'd walk to both for sure. So, if you have time, go for it. Why not?
Finnisterre is absolutely majestic by the way. It was one of the pinnacles of the hike for me.

Last edited:
Hi I should reach Santiago tomorrow Thursday 24th September and I am keen to walk to Finnisterra and or Muxia. Some folk say walk to Finnisterra,others say walk to Muxia and others say do the two. I will have 7 days do it before my flight on Oct 2nd. I would be greatful for suggestions please
Hi Paddy
Well done - it will feel ‘so wonderful’ to reach Santiago during this weird Covid times. But so different to previous years. Enjoy this unique experience.
If time permits (for either) try to have a chat with @ivar

I think you’ll still have plenty of time to walk to Finisterra and Muxia and still not have to rush.
I loved this way and took 2 days to walk from Finisterra to Muxia. So great - I hope you can swing it.
Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do both, Finisterra first. Muxia is a day or two away and the day wouldn't be too long. Pilgrims seem to love getting the view of the sea as you go to F. It is also (normally) the fun beach town. Muxia is more of a town at the seashore and more calm. You can reflect on your pilgrimage there.

On a practical note though, the bus service between Santiago and Finisterra is better.

Do both, Finisterra first. Muxia is a day or two away and the day wouldn't be too long. Pilgrims seem to love getting the view of the sea as you go to F. It is also (normally) the fun beach town. Muxia is more of a town at the seashore and more calm. You can reflect on your pilgrimage there.

On a practical note though, the bus service between Santiago and Finisterra is better.
I agree, walk to both, Finisterre first. I've walked from Santiago to both, and the walk and viewsof the sea into Finisterre is more impactful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's a pretty cool dilemma, Paddy! Both options are good.

I'd suggest Muxia first, purely because this gives a much nicer approach (IMO) than from Finisterre. And if you like a swim at the end of your Camino, it's safer to do that in Muxia.

You could also just toss a coin and decide in the moment when you reach Hospital 😊
Buen Camino!

I too recommend to walk both Finisterre and Muxia.
In my opinion Finisterre is spectacular, and Muxia nicest.
I walked to Finisterre, and then one day to Muxia.
Nevertheless some people walk the contrary because to return to Santiago there are only two bus daily from Muxia, and more or less one hourly from Finisterre.

Thought I replied to this just now...., these blogs confuse me.
If you have the time and inclination then the walk from Fin to Mux is up there in my memory as a very pretty and pleasant walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would do both. I can't say which to do first. If you end in Finisterre, you are ending at "the end of the world" and you have better bus connections back to Santiago. But many people find Muxia a quieter place better suited to reflection at the end of Camino.

Hola,
I walked SdC to Finisterre-Muxia last year and loved every step! I spent 3 days walking SdC to Finisterre, then 1 day walking up to Muxia. I met a number of pilgrims who planned on taking 4 to 5 days walking from SdC to Finisterre, they loved the slower pace. If you have the time and walk to both, I would suggest taking 2 days to walk to Muxia, cut the route in half and stay the night in As Lires, a charming village roughly half way to Muxia.
Buen Camino

In 2015 the tourist office in Santiago de Compostela gave out a free guide for the walks to Muxia and Finisterra (in English). I found a version of this online at: http://www.caminodesantiago.gal/documents/17639/155453/Fisterra Muxía - Plano - EN.pdf?version=1.0

Likely this is no good on a smartphone so if you can't get a copy from the tourist office maybe you can get a copy printed at the Pilgrim House. More albergues may have been added but then again some may be closed due to the season or covid.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Roaming Paddy, we have been following your Camino. We walked from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia in 2018 after the Camino del Norte. The photos below are of our credencials which we got from the Pilgrim Office in Santiago after we collected our Camino Compostelas. It was a great walk, we really enjoyed it and went to Finisterre first then took two days to walk to Muxia. Returned to Santiago on the early morning bus.
P8130772.JPGP8130773.JPGP8130775.JPG

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back