• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hopping early trains

woody71

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
Greetings..arriving in Paris at 6am , have connecting train to Bayonne at 3pm, unfortunately it doesn't allow me to catch train to SjPP the same day , pushing me out a day.

Was wondering if it is possible at all to jump onto early trains.

Thanks in advance.
JW

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It used to be, but the train lines in that region and others have been messed up as to that purpose.

You can still hop trains for the purpose of organising where you'll wait and for how long, and perhaps maximise the length of that wait for lunch purposes or whatever, but it's become rare, sadly, that train hopping can accelerate your overall journey time.

In your shoes, I'd actually target a night's sleep in Bordeaux or somewhere else southerly, maybe even Bayonne, then carry on from there.

Last edited:
I don't know the train schedule from Bayonne to SJPdP this time of year, but I am headed back to Biarritz next week with a scheduled arrival CDG at 6h15 and I have already booked a seat on the TGV at 12h11 from Montparnasse that is arriving in Biarritz at 16h15. I am confidient I will make my connections, well maybe who knows, but I think that train stops in Bayonne before it stops in Biarritz? Plus there is local bus from the Biarritz Gare to the Bayonne Gare pretty regularly for a euro or two. I know this sounds like sketchy info but I haven't been back there since 2019 and Covid.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings..arriving in Paris at 6am , have connecting train to Bayonne at 3pm, unfortunately it doesn't allow me to catch train to SjPP the same day , pushing me out a day.

Was wondering if it is possible at all to jump onto early trains.

Thanks in advance.
JW
G’Day Woody, I guess that you already know : there are direct TGV trains from Paris CDG airport [known as CDG2 Roissy] to Bayonne via Bordeaux Saint Jean ... try Rome2Rio app and / OR SNCF Connect app for the relevsnt schedules ... as you arrive so early in the morning I would be very surprised if you don’t find something that gets you to Bayonne by 16h00 and plenty of time to pick up bus or train to StJPP ... good luck and bon chemin 👣👣👣

Thank you all for the input..I will just stay in Bayonne for the evening and take morning train to SJPdP,.

3 more days ....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back