• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hornillos!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Albergue el Alfar.
Stayed there both times I passed through Hornillos. Private albergue run by a husband and wife (they live on premises). The wife makes a great homemade paella for dinner.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I stayed at Hostel de sol a sol in a private room for 25€

Thanks for your responses! Grateful, I was hearing from people in my circle that they had doubled back to Burgos...did not want to do that and was a little concerned...thanks again!

Thanks for your responses! Grateful, I was hearing from people in my circle that they had doubled back to Burgos...did not want to do that and was a little concerned...thanks again!

Really no reason to do that! Hornillos has plenty of choices now! Buen Camino! SY

PS Never walk back, walk forward, towards your goal ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Never walk back, walk forward, towards your goal ...
Reading this, I immediately thought of the mosaic mural in, I think, Astorga. My Spanish is not good enough to give a fluent translation, (it comes out a bit weird!) but the sense is obviously relevant the point you're making, about not letting things get in the way of achieving your goal. Can you, or others, translate.

Reading this, I immediately thought of the mosaic mural in, I think, Astorga. My Spanish is not good enough to give a fluent translation, (it comes out a bit weird!) but the sense is obviously relevant the point you're making, about not letting things get in the way of achieving your goal. Can you, or others, translate.
FullSizeRender.jpg

El Afar is where I stayed at, well equipped kitchen, there is a small store 100m before, we bought groceries and cooked dinner.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What? Why?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Peregrino, que el cansancio nunca te impida pensar, ¿Es importante la meta?... ¿ No sera acaso el encuentro, con el monte, con el rio, con el rumbo que has perdido, ...con el mismo dios quiza?

I translate above like this:
Pilgrim, never let your tiredness/weariness keep you from thinking, Is the goal important?.. Could it be an encounter, with the hill, with the river, with the path/way that you have lost, ...with God himself, perhaps?

In my last time through Hornillos there was a small restaurant across from the church/albergue run by three sisters, one did the cooking and doesn't like to have her picture taken the two younger sisters worked the tables and didn't mind. There was not enough room for all so they served in two sittings, not saving anything for the next day. Sitting at the second time around, I ordered the meatballs and they literally emptied the pot, a huge pile on pasta with more then enough for a great sandwitch the next day. I liked Hornillos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I believe when we were there in September and stayed in El Afar, there was a brand new Albergue across the street. Not in the old guidebooks. Friends of ours stayed there and I think it had only been opened a month or so.

In my last time through Hornillos there was a small restaurant across from the church/albergue run by three sisters, one did the cooking and doesn't like to have her picture taken the two younger sisters worked the tables and didn't mind. There was not enough room for all so they served in two sittings, not saving anything for the next day. Sitting at the second time around, I ordered the meatballs and they literally emptied the pot, a huge pile on pasta with more then enough for a great sandwitch the next day. I liked Hornillos.
Yeah, I went in there and had a beer. I think they stamped my passport, too. I really like that little church in Hornillos, and that water fountain with a rooster on top they have in the small square. Hornillos is one of my favorite little towns on the Camino. I like the way you see it in the distance while on the meseta when you reach the top of that hill. Pretty cool stuff.

I go along with others in recommending El Alfar. It has a really nice little garden with lawn and loungers and the paella is brilliant. It was also spotlessly clean, with top hospitaleros. Have to say though, that when we stopped 2 years ago, the beds were very squeaky when anyone made the slightest movement.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wondering if anyone can recommend accommodations in Hornillos!
What are your thoughts?
Thanks so much...
I only just stayed at Albergue Meeting Point a few days ago- very good, relatively new and very clean - staff were really helpful.

Wondering if anyone can recommend accommodations in Hornillos!
What are your thoughts?
Thanks so much...
I only just stayed at Albergue Meeting Point a few days ago- very good, relatively new and very clean - staff were really helpful.

I stayed at the muni in 2012, it's not much to write home about. The town is pretty limited as far as places to eat but as of last year really improving their resources. Thumbs up!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am just home from Spain after an 8oo mile walk.
I stayed at the Meeting Point albergue in Hornillos on 30th March and can recommend it.
Modern,clean,good bathrooms,kitchen and dining area,nice garden.
I dined at the bar up the road on the opposite side,I had alubias,albondigas etc all very good.
There is also a good shop on the left as you enter the village.

I believe when we were there in September and stayed in El Afar, there was a brand new Albergue across the street. Not in the old guidebooks. Friends of ours stayed there and I think it had only been opened a month or so.
Just looked, I think it was called "Meeting Point" as someone else mentioned.

Peregrino, que el cansancio nunca te impida pensar, ¿Es importante la meta?... ¿ No sera acaso el encuentro, con el monte, con el rio, con el rumbo que has perdido, ...con el mismo dios quiza?

I translate above like this:
Pilgrim, never let your tiredness/weariness keep you from thinking, Is the goal important?.. Could it be an encounter, with the hill, with the river, with the path/way that you have lost, ...with God himself, perhaps?

That is so sweet, thanks for sharing and translating... God Himself perhaps!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah, I went in there and had a beer. I think they stamped my passport, too. I really like that little church in Hornillos, and that water fountain with a rooster on top they have in the small square. Hornillos is one of my favorite little towns on the Camino. I like the way you see it in the distance while on the meseta when you reach the top of that hill. Pretty cool stuff.

Sounds divine...can't wait to see all that you all described! Thanks so much!

In March this year I stayed at the albergue next to the church and liked it a lot; the hospitality was warm as was the dorm (this was in the middle of a cold snap and at the time that was important! :)).
The store/cafe was also very good--as Mark and scruffy1 have said.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back