• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Horse rental AL PASO in Las herrerías

• Thread starter Deleted member 91636
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 91636

Greetings!

I've read that there is the option of renting a horse for a short tour from Las herrerías to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. It costs around 35€ and lasts for about 2 hours.
In the past, I've had some not so nice experiences with horse rentals in terms of the health and the treatment of the horses so I want to make sure they are treated well before I agree to rent one.
Has anyone made any experiences with this specific rental and tell me a bit about the health state of the horses? Greatly appreciated!
Regards, Hannes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To Pedrafita do Cebreiro or to O Cebreiro?

When I've been passed by horses on the climb to O'Cebreiro, the horses have looked healthy. When they've delivered the pilgrims to the top, the horses have a rest and then are let loose to go home, and they run down the path to get there! I nearly got trampled by them one time and flung myself out of their way.

I think there's just the one place that does horse rides out of Las Herrerías. Others may have better info.

Greetings!

I've read that there is the option of renting a horse for a short tour from Las herrerías to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. It costs around 35€ and lasts for about 2 hours.
In the past, I've had some not so nice experiences with horse rentals in terms of the health and the treatment of the horses so I want to make sure they are treated well before I agree to rent one.
Has anyone made any experiences with this specific rental and tell me a bit about the health state of the horses? Greatly appreciated!
Regards, Hannes
Hi – after arriving in Las Herrerias in July 18 , my feet had decided they would enjoy some enormous blisters after 650 K of no problems - strangely.
I went with another pilgrim staying with me at Casa Lixa with the same issues and found “Victor the horse guy“ the evening before as he does get booked up . Early next day he got us to O Cebrerio no problem.
The horses appeared well looked after – and rested adequately in shade at the top as a group of six disparate friends enjoyed our first taste of Pulpo with a friend of Victors at the top.
A fantastic experience and a great way to enter Galicia .

there are pictures and descriptions of this hidden somewhere in my blog for July 2018– on Caminoramblings.com .

- and It’s an interesting conversation to have at the pilgrims office when you reach Santiago – as when they ask how did you get there – foot , bike or horse . ??

I could say – laughing - “all of them “ !!

Good luck - Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings!

Regards, Hannes
Victor owns 6 or 7 horses in Las Herrerias. They are exceptionally well taken care of. Victor is a great horseman and loves his horses. The link to his phone # is in Brierly guide book and Victor speaks perfect English. It takes about 2 hours and is a delightful way to get up to O Cebrerio.
If you do this I recommend you spend some time with Victor - buy him a drink or something and chat with him - he has a very interesting background.

I am a longtime horse person who has spent considerable time in that neighborhood. I know most of Victor's horses. Some of the animals are getting on in age, but all are in good shape, well-shod and decently fed if not always perfectly groomed.
The tack is worn, and the "safety" helmets really need to be replaced. The last time I rode there I held my helmet on my head by tying a scarf over it, as the buckle was broken. It would have been useless in an accident.
I have never seen the horses sent down the mountain unattended, but that doesn't mean it never happens!

My only real criticism of the operation is the advertising signs that are nailed and stapled onto living trees, all the way back to Villafranca. This visual pollution violates UNESCO norms and shows a disregard for the pilgrimage path, pilgrims, and other living things.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I should clarify my earlier post, that while the horses were galloping freely for home, their handler on his horse wasn't far behind.
When my granddaughter and I rode up last June in a party of six, we were accompanied by Victor and three young men who walked beside. They were very attentive to safety and the whole thing was very pleasant. After joining everyone for a drink and a snack at O Cebreiro the men returned to the horses to shepherd them back. Agree that it would be nice to replace the helmets but all buckles were working fine for our group. I must report that we were quite sore for a couple of days after though but it was worth it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have only seen the horses in 2017 up near O'Ceibrero. They looked healthy to me. I doubt they make very many trips up each day as they were tied up and resting in the shade.
That said, on the island of Santorini, Greece, donkeys (or mules) were used all day long, up and down a steep cliff to transport people continuously to the town on top. I felt very sorry for them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I've ridden with Victor and his horses. They are well groomed and definitely well fed as well as loved. The tack and helmets could use an update though - a bit scrappy. Loved the experience.

Hi Qhrider - thanks for your post. Yes, you can book in advance. Here are the details :
Phone : +56 63 804 1823.
Email : v.vigaray@gmail.com
Victor’s on Facebook - his Facebook page is called Al Paso.
I’m not sure of the current cost - Victor will let you know when you book.
Have a wonderful horseback experience in this most beautiful area.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back