• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

horseback SJPP to Santiago in 2013

helenlater

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013
Hello
has anyone ridden the st james way on horseback that could give us advice?
did you call/reserve your accomodation in advance?
was it easy/difficult to find hay/grain to buy along the route ?
how about blacksmiths and vets?
any recommendations of places to stay with the horses along the route?
We are 2 people + 2 horses, no follow car, planning to travel the route in May and June to take advantage of grass.
Has anyone travelled the route at this time of the year?
Is it true that there are now several towns and cities that you cannot cross with horses?

( we speak english and french and a little bit of spanish --and taking spanish lessons!)
any advice gratefully received :D
Helen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a chapter in my book YOUR CAMINO for horseback riders. Some of th info:

Guides
The Way of St James on Horseback
This guide contains everything riders need to know to ride the Camino Frances from France to Santiago. It includes a description of the road, highlighting its potential difficulties, existing facilities for the horses on the Camino Frances, maps with icons that indicate the most suitable lodgings, list of blacksmiths, veterinaries and equestrian centres in every province the road runs through and much more.
Best Website: http://www.elCaminoacaballo.com or http://www.csj.org.uk

Books
Riding the Milky Way. Babette Gallard and Paul Chinn made the pilgrimage from Le Puy en Velay in France in 2005. Babette’s book is a must-read for anybody planning a journey of their own.

Spanish Pilgrimage: A Canter to St James. Robin Hanbury-Tenison and his wife Louella made the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain in the traditional way – riding on white horses over long-forgotten tracks. Their adventures are vividly and entertainingly recounted in this delightful and highly readable book.

Horseshoes and Holy Water: On the Hoof from Canterbury to Santiago de Compostela. The lure of a long-distance ride leads Mefo Phillips to team up with her sister Susie and their spotted Appaloosa horses – Leo, a flirt with a passion for Mars Bars, and affectionate, gluttonous Apollo – for a pilgrimage down the medievel Way of St James from Canterbury to Spain.

Advice for entering Santiago city on horseback
Pilgrims planning to enter the city on horseback should notify the local police (tel: 092) several days before their arrival. The police will be able to tell you the compulsory route and stipulated times, and give you an access permit so that you can enter as far as Plaza del Obradoiro and stay for a short time in front of the cathedral. Immediately thereafter, the horses should be taken to their pre-arranged stables or accommodation.
Pilgrim Office: 981 56 24 19 Civil Defence (Santiago): 981 57 50 00 Local police: 092

thank you, yes this information is detailed in a few places. However The Way of St James on Horseback is not available at either resource: I have sent money and emails to the caminoacaballo webaddress and had no response; it is out of print at csj. I have read the other books that you mention but lists of vet, blacksmiths, equestrian centres etc are not available, and they all rode the camino several years ago. I am on the forum to try and get up to date information. And hoping to communicate with someone who has ridden the camino on horseback :)

sillydoll said:
I have a chapter in my book YOUR CAMINO for horseback riders. Some of th info:

Guides
The Way of St James on Horseback
This guide contains everything riders need to know to ride the Camino Frances from France to Santiago. It includes a description of the road, highlighting its potential difficulties, existing facilities for the horses on the Camino Frances, maps with icons that indicate the most suitable lodgings, list of blacksmiths, veterinaries and equestrian centres in every province the road runs through and much more.
Best Website: http://www.elCaminoacaballo.com or http://www.csj.org.uk

Books
Riding the Milky Way. Babette Gallard and Paul Chinn made the pilgrimage from Le Puy en Velay in France in 2005. Babette’s book is a must-read for anybody planning a journey of their own.

Spanish Pilgrimage: A Canter to St James. Robin Hanbury-Tenison and his wife Louella made the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain in the traditional way – riding on white horses over long-forgotten tracks. Their adventures are vividly and entertainingly recounted in this delightful and highly readable book.

Horseshoes and Holy Water: On the Hoof from Canterbury to Santiago de Compostela. The lure of a long-distance ride leads Mefo Phillips to team up with her sister Susie and their spotted Appaloosa horses – Leo, a flirt with a passion for Mars Bars, and affectionate, gluttonous Apollo – for a pilgrimage down the medievel Way of St James from Canterbury to Spain.

Advice for entering Santiago city on horseback
Pilgrims planning to enter the city on horseback should notify the local police (tel: 092) several days before their arrival. The police will be able to tell you the compulsory route and stipulated times, and give you an access permit so that you can enter as far as Plaza del Obradoiro and stay for a short time in front of the cathedral. Immediately thereafter, the horses should be taken to their pre-arranged stables or accommodation.
Pilgrim Office: 981 56 24 19 Civil Defence (Santiago): 981 57 50 00 Local police: 092

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Between 1 January 2012 and 31 October 2012 591 pilgrims arrived on horseback.
A few tour companies offer horseback Caminos - like Follow The Camino
http://followthecamino.com/community/ca ... he-camino/ and the CSJ offer to put people in touch with others who have done the Camino on horseback.
I'm sure you'll find a blog or website somewhere belonging to some of these riders!

Good luck!

Hello Helen,

Did you ever get a response from the Camino caballo website? I am updating my book and don't want to keep an out-of-date website in the book.

Sil

Hi Helen
I also tried to get that guide but it was not possible.
Have a look into this link http://www.caminosantiagoacaballo.blogspot.nl
It gives a very detailed information about all the stages along the Camino Frances. It is in spanish language but I hope it can be useful for you.
The worst part of the Camino to go with the horse is the province of Navarra, but in general you will find some place where to leave the horse at night. You could also send the food and the electric fence through some company which delivers luggage.
Good luck
Roberto

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all of you!

I'm joining the talk....cause I am planning to go in april 2014. So, I hope you can tell me all about it after your trip!

I definitely will write a book in Dutch because there is so little information!

Let's keep in touch.

Ciao ciao, Anouk from Holland

I also want to part of it on horseback in May. I don't want to pay touring company. I'm wondering if there are people leasing out their horses on the way. I'd love to pay for it.

Hi, I want to do the trip in spring 2014 too (if it turns out possible)! So please keep posting. I have my own horses that I plan to bring from Denmark. If anyone knows of any horse-specific forums etc, please post :)

And Anouk; do you plan to go on your own horses?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This fine horse did the route twice, once with his owner, and a second time with friend. The horse loved it, but he had great care----car support, and a 2km warm-up each morning before being ridden.

Attachments

• horsey.JPG
    horsey.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 392
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Doing the Camino on horseback is crossing my mind since several years ago. This year might be the one when I finally do it. I have some info from Spain but nill from NL or BE. I will try to post some info from Spain later on. It would be easier if you tell me what exactly you need to know.

The easiest thing is going with an organised horse trip, but in my opinion it is very expensive and you don't feel really like doing the Camino (normally they sleep in Hotels) and you miss the part of "real adventure". I would rather go with my own horse. For the food in Spain it should not be a problem. I believe you can get hay or grass everywhere and you could send the biks from one stage to another. Specially in the Camino francés there are plenty of companies delivering your backpacks and other stuff from one stage to another. You could just send the food as well.

There are ferriers and vets along the route. Anyway it is convenient to take a list of them with you just in case.
The only thing I don't like about going with horses across the camino francés is the fact you will have to walk along some roads and accross big cities. traffic can be dangerous and in some cities you might have problems.

About the accommodation for the horses it will be a challenge but there should be always some place. Ideally you would take an electric fence but if not I recommend you to arrange the places in advance. In any case there will be farmers o people who will allow you to stable the horses in their lands. there are also stable along the route.

Choose carefully the time of the year when you wanna go. The Meseta is very hot and shadow and water fonts are not found for many kilometers.

If your horses are barefooted (mine are) I would recommend you boats. The terrein in Spain is too abrasive for the hooves.
Hope this help a bit.

Another important tip is the travelling vet certificates for the horse. My advice is you to state that the destination point is Santiago. I am not sure but I think that the certificates have a validity of couple of weeks. After that time, you might need to get a new one. Travelling with horses in Spain (specially if you move them with the trailler) can be challenging. There are many requirements and the requirements can vary from one region to the next one. There is not a National regulation in this matter. Every region has its own rules.

Thank you for the tips. Also the one about the vet, it s true i didn't think about that. More details about my plan, Welle just that I m planning to start in Belgium go through france, there i ' m not sure which way yet, the Tours way or the vezelay.. I found Some adresses to stay overnight on the tours route , from a very nice lady in france, but I was thinking about going down the Vezelay route ... So.. Things are not completly clear yet:)
Where are you from? Where are you planning to start with your horse?

My regards, Caroline

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back