• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Horseback Vega de Valcarce to O Cebreiro

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As I recollect it was €20, I walked up but the horses didn't seem to be much quicker or that comfortable.

Last year when I walked, I noticed some folks renting horses from Vega de Valcarce to O Cebreiro.

Has anyone ever done this?
Experience?
Cost?
I got a horse from Las Herrerias to OCebriero last summer. It was so fun! I did it on a whim. It cost me $25 euros I think. They split up the cost between the four of us who happened to be going up at the same time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not the name of the company, but here's the phone number...

The sign was at the start of Vega del Calcarce, and the actual rentals began in Las Herrerias.

Attachments

• DSCN0987.JPG
    DSCN0987.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 151
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did that in June last year and also on a whim. I was at a low emotionally with injuries, etc when as I walked past, this "Camel" man came up to me and asked if I would like to join them going up by horseback. It was like he was sent! I immediately accepted. It was 20 or 25 Euros but worth every euro! We were a small group, the horses were easy to handle ( need no experience) and it was wonderful to be able to look up and around and not down on the path. For me....it was magic!

My novia rented a horse for 30 euros. I beat her horse by 45 minutes and I carried a full pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My novia could not start until 0900 because they had to wait for others who had made reservations to start at that time. Horses go up twice a day. Not sure but I think it took her group 3 hours to climb the hill because of problems with one rider who was terrified to be on a horse.

Presumably backpacks are transported by road? Those horses must be very strong to tackle that climb, particularly with inexperienced riders who are probably not well balanced and make it more difficult for the horse. They must work extremely hard - I hope they are well cared for.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
packs are hauled by taxi to whichever albergue you wish for 5 euros. Horses don't follow same path as hikers as I'm sure you noticed some sections of Camino had lots of signs of horses while others had no indications of use by nags. Horse were in excellent condition. Novia was surprised they use English saddles for trail walking--not done in US.

Novia was surprised they use English saddles for trail walking--not done in US.

That's pretty much standard in Europe unless you go somewhere that specifically advertises Western saddles. Dont think I've ever been given a horse with a western saddle anywhere in France, Spain or the UK.

packs are hauled by taxi to whichever albergue you wish for 5 euros. Horses don't follow same path as hikers as I'm sure you noticed some sections of Camino had lots of signs of horses while others had no indications of use by nags. Horse were in excellent condition. Novia was surprised they use English saddles for trail walking--not done in US.

Actually the horses follow the exact same path as hikers. Victor, who owns and runs the service is very knowledgeable about the area and loves his horses.
He walks up twice a day, and is happy to offer a free ride down as it is easier to have riders to return then horses without riders.
Down is more difficult then up!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Now that.........looks like a very sensible way to enjoy the steepest climb on the journey :)

Does 'Victor of the Horses' speak English? Or do I need to add appropriate phrases to my Spanish lessons?

I am totally 'stuffed', please keep a spare horse for me tomorrow....
Your fattest and slowest Horse will suit me just fine...
If you need 3 people to make up a trip, I will happily kidnap two more and pay for their horses!

Whilst Horse Riding is not something I have 'mastered' as to me it feels only slightly more comfortable than riding an Elephant (Horse saddles are closer to the ground), it certainly sounds like something that could be fun and help a tired body at just the right time.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
He speaks English. I may have the phone number to send when I get home.

There is no problem with his English but he only has four horses and he only does two treks a day. The horses walk at the same pace as the pilgrims and the saddles are English. It is not that steep walking up to O'Creiriro.DSCN0284.JPG

There is no problem with his English but he only has four horses and he only does two treks a day. The horses walk at the same pace as the pilgrims and the saddles are English. It is not that steep walking up to O'Creiriro.View attachment 16373
He had 6 horses when I went last September. It was great - not because it was steep, but because it was fun and the views were great when we sat on the hirsez above the foldage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is no problem with his English but he only has four horses and he only does two treks a day. The horses walk at the same pace as the pilgrims and the saddles are English. It is not that steep walking up to O'Creiriro.View attachment 16373

Would I notice the difference between an English saddle, a Western saddle or any other type of saddle? Probably not. They all feel like I am about to fall off! :oops:

At least Elephants have a seat rather than a saddle! ;)

Last edited:
Don't worry about the saddle. You are only walking the horses.
Nancy, I assume you mean the horses are only walking.

Robo, the difference in saddle styles is an English saddle has no pommel to hold on to and for those of us who rarely ride a horse it is like driving a car without a steering wheel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Victor speaks English. He and I had a lot of laughs on the top about me beating my novia up the hill while she rode one of his horses. Smart guy--he brings riders up the hill and flirts with the women riders, but his daughter has to walk the riderless horses down hill while he takes a taxi.

You are not suppose to hold the horn on a western saddle. This is a very easy ride. If you have the strength in your legs to walk the Camino, you can certainly sit on top of a saddle while the horse is walking. Don't let the saddle deter you from doing this fun activity. He both walked up behind the horses and walked his own horses down the day I did it. He will need to have 3 riders before he is willing to go. If you have phone service, it is probably best to call ahead and reserve. His number is 638041823 which I just realized you can see on the sign posted above. I told him that his sign should read, "Do you want horses" instead of Do you need horses." I didn't need a horse to get to the top, but I wanted the experience of riding one. Go for it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nancy, I assume you mean the horses are only walking.

Robo, the difference in saddle styles is an English saddle has no pommel to hold on to and for those of us who rarely ride a horse it is like driving a car without a steering wheel.

Grab the mane. It doesn't hurt the horse. Lean forward when you go up the hill. Keep your heels down.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back